Manchester United Talk banner

The morning after

729 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  jd_united 
Barca are a team of stars but some think they are becoming the new 'Galacticos', a team of brilliant individuals but never really seem to gel and play the wonderful football they should, similar to the Real Madrid side of around 2005.

I think that our defence is strong enough to cope especially if it is the formidable Brown Rio Vida and Evra combination. Their attacking play has pace and power but so does our defence and our lads shouldn't be intimidated by them.

It is more than likely we will play 4-5-1 which will mean 3 centre midfielders with one of those being a holding player. This could be the ideal game for Owen Hargreaves to really stamp down his authority at United with a good performance. If it isn't Hargreaves that plays I would imagine Michael Carrick will be asked to play as the holding midfielder and if he can play as well as he did against Roma, then we should have a good chance of getting something out of the tie.

Up front will probably be Rooney, Ronaldo plus one other. Park may get the nod after his solid display in Rome, or SAF may decide to go with the experience of Giggs. If the Roo and Ron combination is on fire then goals will inevitably come.

A big plus for us is that Messi may not be match fit, as he has been out for a while with this injury of his. If he is rushed back for this game then he may not be ready and if he's not 100%, United need to exploit that.

We have the advantage of being at home second leg and I'm sure the crowd will get right behind United and make it a night to remember. With the squad we have this season, United have a great chance of going all the way. If you want to win the Champions League, you cannot be scared of anyone, and I'm sure United won't be intimidated by Barca.

One final point, and this is the most important thing of all. It is all well and good talking up the semi final but we need to see the job out against Roma first. They are no mugs and we cannot go into that tie thinking we are already in the semi's. If we put in the performace we know we can, then we will be safely through.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.