Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
piazza said:
So is it a coincidence that England played poorly in those games? Israel<Fulham. The gap between the 4 best teams and the next 16 is so huge that, that statistic is meaningless. Who's the best person on Everton? Yakubu? Does that make him world class because he's the best player on the 5th place team in England?
Arteta is Everton's best player and he's a fantastic player. Cahill is also a good midfielder.

The gap between the top four and the top 7 isnt that wide. Spurs, Everton and Villa could contest the top four. Lets not forget, Everton 2 seasons ago finished ahead of Liverpool (who won the CL and finished 5th).

The fact of the matter is, if Barry was just average, why would Liverpool want him? If Barry was just average why would Villa put a huge price tag on him?

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
thedude said:
Arteta is Everton's best player and he's a fantastic player. Cahill is also a good midfielder.

The gap between the top four and the top 7 isnt that wide. Spurs, Everton and Villa could contest the top four. Lets not forget, Everton 2 seasons ago finished ahead of Liverpool (who won the CL and finished 5th).

The fact of the matter is, if Barry was just average, why would Liverpool want him? If Barry was just average why would Villa put a huge price tag on him?
Yakubu was just an example and the first Toffee I could think of, Arteta is definitely the best.Anyways. Why would LFC want Barry? Because Steven Gerrard wants Barry. That's it. The gap's bigger than you think when 4th is on 76pts and 10th is on 49pts. And for the past 4 seasons its been the same big 4, without anyone really coming that close. Good teams on paper, are only that. The game's not played on paper, its played on that green thing out there.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
piazza said:
They got Stevie G for leadership, and how does he have more experience than Alonso? Alonso:Champions League and Euro 2008 winner. Barry: Struggled to make the England squad.
Experience in the Premiership...... Barry has some weird record of being the
youngest player to play 300 Prem games or something like that. Not sure
exactly. Alonso barely played in Euro 2008....so he has more 'experience' cos he
was in that great squad?

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Experience in the Premiership...... Barry has some weird record of being the
youngest player to play 300 Prem games or something like that. Not sure
exactly. Alonso barely played in Euro 2008....so he has more 'experience' cos he
was in that great squad?
My point on the Euros was that: if you're going to say one has international experience it doesn't make a bit of difference, especially if its for England, and especially if its in the premier league which only has like 30% English players.

·
Registered
115 Posts
piazza said:
Yakubu was just an example and the first Toffee I could think of, Arteta is definitely the best.Anyways. Why would LFC want Barry? Because Steven Gerrard wants Barry. That's it. The gap's bigger than you think when 4th is on 76pts and 10th is on 49pts. And for the past 4 seasons its been the same big 4, without anyone really coming that close. Good teams on paper, are only that. The game's not played on paper, its played on that green thing out there.
And why would Gerrard want to play beside an average player when he wants to compete for titles? :confused:

Barry is a good player, he's not a superstar, but he's certainly a good player and a player that works well for his team.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
thedude said:
And why would Gerrard want to play beside an average player when he wants to compete for titles? :confused:

Barry is a good player, he's not a superstar, but he's certainly a good player and a player that works well for his team.
Because having a holding midfielder like Barry allows him to get more forward, which is all he cares about, aside from diving.

·
Registered
734 Posts
from what i saw of Gerrard and Barry playing together for England they seemed to develop a good partnership, a lot better than what Gerrard and Lampard had and theirs no way Barry is better than Lampard, Liverpool want Barry just because he links well with Gerrard imo.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
thedude said:
Mascherano does that job efficiently I reckon. He wants Barry because he's a good player.
I think that too, but remember when Stevie G had Lamp kicked off the English team cause he wanted to play with Barry? Besides, Masch is usually getting sent off or rotated.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts