Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thread to see what players we remember who were heavly linked with United some even near to signing .

So which players do we remember and what impact do we think they would have had on the club ?

I will start the ball rolling with Marcelo Salas the chilean international who was all set to sign for United but decided on taking the cash at Lazio.

Well he looked top draw for around 4 years but fell away . He scored alot of goals in Italy but would of in England Im not sure. One things for sure he was a handfull and I remember when he was linked to us we had a friendly with chile at wembley and he scored 2 one of which was a first time volley a class goal.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Marcelo Salas would have definitely given us some sting.

He could score with either foot and scored a few rockets in his time in Italy.

I think it was a mutual loss to be honest, but how can you argue with destiny?

Another deal which was already agreed upon and called off was Ronaldinho!!!

For a few years he ruled the footballing world and was the most exciting player on the planet.

Peter Kenyon agreed a fee with PSG. Later found out Barcleona could only got to 27mil, and reduced United's bid to 28mil - 2 down from the original 30mil the clubs had agreed upon.

PSG sold to Barcelona on principle and to teach United and Kenyon a lesson.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Stupid move by Gazza, house buying Spuds and a summer holiday for Fergie was what made Gazza to end up in London and not at the United.
I remember Fergie saying this is one of his biggest dissapointments as manager for United to reach a verbal agreement with Gazza and going on the holiday with his wife and only finding out when he came back that Spuds had bought a house for Gazza's family in London and he was now a Spud player.

Looking at his career I doubt Fergie would be able to straight him out since he's such a complexed personality. But on the pitch Gazza was close to genious.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Mexes nearly joined us and went to Roma I remember.

Paulo Di Canio, anyone remember that?

Gareth Southgate

Alan Shearer (twice! dipstick! could have conquered with us)

Paul Gasgoine (such a shame)

Michael Owen

just off the top of my head..

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lets see how good everyones memory is anyone remember this one

A Brazilian defender called Silva United were on the verge of signing him in the mid ninetys but couldnt get a work permit .

After that I never heard of him again and never seen him play.

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
Henry. Fergie turned him down because he couldnt finish. Look at him now. Imagine him and RVN up front. That would have been one of the best strikeforces of all time.

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
Just read this.

Del Piero: ‘I nearly joined Man Utd’

Alessandro Del Piero claims that he nearly joined the Red Devils as Utd’s representatives contacted him in August just after the 32-year-old foward won the biggest tournament in Football -The World Cup.

Del Piero, 32, told The Sun: “It’s all true. I could have been a Red Devil.

“Manchester United representatives contacted me in August.”

But after winning the game’s biggest tournament with Italy in the summer, he chose not to leave his long-term employers.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
16-Keano-16 said:
Just read this.

Del Piero: ‘I nearly joined Man Utd'

Alessandro Del Piero claims that he nearly joined the Red Devils as Utd's representatives contacted him in August just after the 32-year-old foward won the biggest tournament in Football -The World Cup.

Del Piero, 32, told The Sun: “It's all true. I could have been a Red Devil.

“Manchester United representatives contacted me in August.â€

But after winning the game's biggest tournament with Italy in the summer, he chose not to leave his long-term employers.
WOOOOOW..del piero? IMPERATORE BIANCONERO a red devil...wow..it would have been a great deal:eek: ...too bad...tooo bad

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Urmm Michael Essien was all set to join United wasn't he? But like many players Chelsea poached him away from us, he would of been a cracking signing.

But the main one I don't think anyone has mentioned is the unmistakeable Ronaldinho! That signing would of been BIG! If it weren't for Barce-bloody-lona.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
Ronaldinho comes up off the top of my head, would have been a super signing, still think it was a sabotage move by that judas kenyon. alan shearer and gazza also come to mind as top signings we missed out on, and essien I think would have been great, and robben would have been terrific on the left wing making a truly majestical partnership with ronaldo.

·
HODOR!
7,033 Posts
Marcos Senna nearly sign but we got Carrick instead Senna came out after and said it was ready to be signed but claimed the glazers cancled it cuz they only wanted to sign an english player.
would have loved to see him here

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Nemanjaaa said:
Urmm Michael Essien was all set to join United wasn't he? But like many players Chelsea poached him away from us, he would of been a cracking signing.

But the main one I don't think anyone has mentioned is the unmistakeable Ronaldinho! That signing would of been BIG! If it weren't for Barce-bloody-lona

I mentioned that :D and it wasn't Barcelona's fault, it was our fault. Ronaldinho was ready to join us, and Pele had told him to come to us. But we would not bid £21m we were only offering £19, and Barcelona were prepared to match that price, so we missed out on one of the greatest players to have ever existed

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Richie said:
I mentioned that :D and it wasn't Barcelona's fault, it was our fault. Ronaldinho was ready to join us, and Pele had told him to come to us. But we would not bid £21m we were only offering £19, and Barcelona were prepared to match that price, so we missed out on one of the greatest players to have ever existed
*sigh*

First of all, that is wrong.

Second of all - the correct version of that story is in my post on this thread.

Thridly, you're welcome.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Richie said:

Greatest thats in question he is top draw but a fat lazy play boy I loved him but Im glad he didnt sign for us now.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
RedForceRising said:
*sigh*

First of all, that is wrong.

Second of all - the correct version of that story is in my post on this thread.

Thridly, you're welcome.
Hmm fair enough, didn't know that, I was just saying what the reports I read at the time said but I'll take your word on this one :D

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
red dave said:
Greatest thats in question he is top draw but a fat lazy play boy I loved him but Im glad he didnt sign for us now.
Maybe he wouldn't have become fat and lazy under the strict guidance of Ferguson? But i suppose that's impossible to call.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts