Manchester United Talk banner

The Official Kevin Keegan Discussion Thread

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  haggler 
#1 ·
smiles all round

#5 ·
I didn't find his post game reaction very convincing. ( Vs Arnesal) A little like a 5 year old at the first day of school. I could guess that the initial inspiration is drying out due to Keegan's age and although he could be a good inspiration maybe not a manager.
If he could do the equivalant of Mick Byrne for the Rep. of Ireland then they would be in great form.

#9 ·
Do you think Keegan's return was a wise decision?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article3279692.ece

I read this article and fully agree with Sir Alex.

Personally, I never really rated Keegan as a manager and think that his decision to return was ruled more by his heart than his head. He should have stayed away while his esteem in Geordie minds remains intact than to let it sour when things inevitably go pear-shaped.

#10 ·
Kevin's Not Lovin' It ... LMAO

Kevin Keegan's not lovin' it, says Sir Alex Ferguson

Sir Alex Ferguson has questioned the wisdom of Kevin Keegan's decision to return
to management with Newcastle.

Keegan has not won a game since his much-heralded return to Newcastle, they
have failed to score in four-and-a-half hours of football and had just two shots
on target.

And Fergie, who famously provoked Keegan into losing his rag a decade ago
when Newcastle blew a 12-point lead to hand the title to Manchester United,
claimed his old rival may have made a mistake in coming back "Sometimes it's
wrong to go back to a club for a second spell," said Fergie. "There are examples
of managers doing it and having relative success, but no outstanding success, so
I will be interested to see how he copes with it.

"I've said that when you're out of the game you can be forgotten, and that's a big
problem for managers. Some managers have taken sabbaticals and that's been a
problem for them.

"In Kevin's case he was working in Glasgow at his soccer school and has
obviously been well out of touch with the game while he was trying to make it
work.

"He was living a great, peaceful lifestyle up there but then as soon as that phone
went a part of him must have thought 'There's unfinished business there'. It's
excitement, and we all need that in our life.

"For Kevin, the only source that could have come from was Newcastle. It's difficult
to say how it will affect him not having seen any games in three years.

"He's had a rest and he'll have the freshness that brings, so who knows? But the
game has definitely changed.

It's changing all the time and Kevin has a big challenge for himself up there to get
Newcastle back in a strong position.

"I suppose from the minute Harry Redknapp turned it down it wasn't a surprise
they went for Kevin," added Fergie. "I heard that on the grapevine soon after
Harry said no.

"So I wasn't surprised. I think Kevin probably looks at Newcastle as his club. He
played and managed there in their best periods of the last 25 years.

"Certainly, Kevin's way of management and Sam Allardyce's way of management
are completely different. Sam was meticulous in his detail and organisation.

He left nothing to chance but his problem was that he wasn't employed by Mike
Ashley."

David Ginola, a star at Newcastle in Keegan's first spell, warned: "It will be a
tough challenge, but nothing is impossible.

"It's nice to see him back but it's not the same football, it's not the same players,
it's not the same mentality, and you have to do the same thing with other
ingredients." www.mirror.co.uk

#18 ·
i like that wheres wisey cartoon in the daily mail link earlier . its not hard to spot him hes the one in the clown garb near the front . lets open a book on when owen will score again . my moneys on a header today in a one one draw !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.