Manchester United Talk banner

The Old Guards Thread

774 views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  asaf cohen 
#1 ·
Reuters

Proud Ferguson to "phase out" Scholes and Giggs

MOSCOW, May 22 (Reuters) - Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson bathed in the glory of a second Champions League success on Thursday -- and immediately warned of changes next season.

The Scot said the future wold mean diminishing roles for veteran players Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes, both of whom he has coached for more than 20 years.

Beaming with delight after seeing his side beat Chelsea 6-5 on penalties in a dramatic shootout after a pulsating final ended in a 1-1 draw, Ferguson told journalists he was "very, very proud" after lifting the European Cup for the second time.

He added: "But the great asset I've got is that I won't get carried away with it and tomorrow morning I will be thinking about next season.

"The euphoria drains away quickly for me, it drains away almost immediately. The moment for me came with the final penalty kick and the save from Edwin van der Sar. That was my moment."

Ferguson showed little sentiment on the subject of old stagers Giggs and Scholes.

"Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs are in the twilights of their careers and they will still contribute in a big way next season as they normally do, but they won't play as many games.

"They will eventually be phased out which is what you have to do in this life. Ryan will be 35 in November, Paul will be 34 and they will play 25 to 30 games next season because we have the back-up, we have the young players now.

Giggs and Scholes joined United around the same time as David Beckham, Phil and Gary Neville and Nicky Butt, who all went on to enjoy great success under Ferguson too.

None, though, have enjoyed as much success as Giggs who replaced Scholes as a substitute in the 87th minute and scored the penalty that put United 6-5 ahead in the shootout.

It was an extra special night for Giggs, who broke Bobby Charlton's all-time appearance record for United by playing in his 759th match for the club.

In all he won the 20th major medal of his 18-year professional career which includes a record 10 league titles, 4 FA Cups and now two European Cups.

Giggs will be hope to add to that haul next season, and Ferguson certainly was not ruling out the prospect of more European success for his side.

"It is not easy to defend the European Cup but the young players who have tasted success tonight will want to do it again," he said. "Some teams have done, I hope we can do it. I think we are good enough."

"

See less See more
#5 ·
Paul Scholes.

an unbelievable man and model professional.

when anelka missed that historic penalty last night all the players charged at van der sar celebrating.....

EXCEPT Paul Scholes. He went round shaking all the Chelsea players hands.
Only after this did he begin to celebrate in his typical shy fashion.

Paul Scholes is an utter legend, and gentleman.
Is anyone else not flabbergasted how selfless this man is??

#6 ·
burnzy1987 said:
an unbelievable man and model professional.

when anelka missed that historic penalty last night all the players charged at van der sar celebrating.....

EXCEPT Paul Scholes. He went round shaking all the Chelsea players hands.
Only after this did he begin to celebrate in his typical shy fashion.

Paul Scholes is an utter legend, and gentleman.
Is anyone else not flabbergasted how selfless this man is??
i saw him trying to comfort terry. scholes knew how he felt, having missed a penalty in shootout himself before.
great man, scholes, my all-time favourite player, alongside rooney.

#8 ·
Im just delighted that the old guard came good in the end, when it mattered.
Many people were writing them off all season, which was disgraceful treatment
of 2 living legends (you all know who you are ;-))
Scholes was man of the tie against Barca and he has shown great form in the
last few crucial months. Also the fact he got to even play another final was
great for the man. Nobody deserved it more than him imo.

As for Giggs, to get the all important goal at Wigan, to surpass the great
Sir Bobby, 10 Prem's, 2nd Champions League is what the man is all about.
Absolute legends, the pair of them.
It was a team effort all season but I'm happiest for these 2 and Fergie.

#9 ·
This is the area on which Manchester United has always been built up on... Very unlike Arsenal??? We have got a good mixed with Ryan and Scholes who knows SAF inside out for 20years... And I guess this is why the new additions gel in so fast.. Ryan and Scholes have always put the club first in their hearts... It's wonderful to have them serving the club for such a long period... It's definately a great accomplishment for them to love and fight for the club throughout their carreers...

Schole shows it when he put the clubs first then the countries... Ryan has shown it all these years gracing the flanks for United... I'm proud of them... These are the paths of true Legends of the club... They have set a bench mark for those who follow suits...

Manchester United --- A legend making club...

#10 ·
scott 4 evra said:
This is getting rediculous. These two legends have won more things than most clubs.
Tell me about it ! :D Between the two of them Scholesy and Giggs have played 1328 games! That's freakish!

I mean when you sit down and look at the stats Giggs is three times as successful as Arsenal. Gives you a good feeling, eh? :)

That must be how Maldini feels when he remembers that he's actually won as many Champions Leagues as Liverpool in their entire history.

I wonder what it's like to look back on your career and realise that you've actually won more than several huge

clubs have in their entire history?

#11 ·
I just hope some of the youngsters will follow the example of Gary, Paul & Ryan. Absolute Legends, everyone of them. Now i know how its like to have grown up watching these Legends in action. decades from now, i'll be able to say "I saw Ryan Giggs breaking Sir Bobby's record and winning his 10th Title and i saw the genius that is Paul scholes play and help us to the CL Final of 08"

My 1 dream is to actually see them Live at OT. I couldn't live with myself if i never did that.

#12 ·
legends. my dad always talks about the legends and games of the 80s and 90s. i can't wait to tell my children (hopfully a boy) about the 00s and maybe the greats of the 10s. i will defiently be talking about when scholes scored the goal that sent united to moscow and when giggs equaled the all time record on the day united won the premier league then beat it the day united won the champions league!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.