Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are we missing the big man Carlos more than we first thought? The tactics of a few games have been perculiar and changed at the wrong time for me.I think its pretty clear Mickey Phelan has little input in the in match tactics,and almost seems to hide behind Fergie.Its easy to look back and say this n that,but after 20 mins of Fulham for instance ,the game should have been changed,anyone remember Mourhino changing a game after 8 minutes with a substitute which then they destroyed the opposition? Im not saying Fergies tactics are crap,I would never diss the guy for one second.Its his other half which causes concern,

Basically is it time to look around and bring in a higher profile more qualified Number 2?Or is Phelan doing just fine and SAF is all to blame for the bad stuff?

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I think we are missing Queiroz in a way, we haven't put teams away this season like we have in previous seasons.. We have had quite a few 1-0 wins, but our defence has been immense this season compared to the last couple.. I think Carlos was hugely influential in training our attacking players last season and that's something we haven't replaced..

Yeah, I don't think Mike Phelan has much input in the tactics..

Maybe in the summer a higher profile no.2 will join the coaching staff?

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
To be honest I think it's hard to decide what to attribute
to the Assistant Manager.

I think that it's safe to say our attacking football can, atleast
partially, be attributed to Queiroz but I don't see what makes
people think Phelan is responsible for our excellent defences
this year. It must be said that Nani, Anderson and Ronaldo (who
are outstanding examples, the same can be said about almost the
whole squad) are not playing as well as last year.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
This always comes up when we lose.

But when we win he gets forgotten.

People blamed Queirozzz for the boring football we played in 2005. How times change.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
I think people see these threads and instantly
say "knee jerk reaction", a lot of the times it's
just the straw that breaks the camels back. Also,
when somebody criticizes a player who's in form,
no matter what his usual is, then he's shot down,
so it makes more sense to criticize a player when
he's not playing that well.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
I admit, i know little about the subject.
I think it was hard to replace such an influential assistant manager as Queiroz was, and it takes time for Phelan to get to know the job and start doing something which really affects the team. And i believe he started doing that, as we all know our awesome run we had before these last matches, and i just think the praise should be divided between more people than the players themselves and Ferguson.
This is a case of behind the scenes work, which Phelan makes part of. Unconsciously, we might find it easy to praise/blame Ferguson and the players, as they're the ones who are in direct contact of what's happening on the pitch at that moment. But the team is bigger than that.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
You are right stephen he did make us play negative for a couple of seasons and made rvn struggle towards the end of his days with us.
But having said that i think we miss his influence with our foreign players , he used to bring them on and its no coincidence their developement has come to a bit of a halt

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I think its really hard for an outsider to really see what impact an assistant has so its pretty impossible to judge. What I will say is, from what I see in interviews, Phelan seems to have no interesting ideas of his own, or just says the obvious things any United fan could see, that Fergie would like him to say. So judging from that purely he seems like a bit of a yes man, but thats all I have to make a judgment on so who knows what effect he really has.

And another point to consider is that Fergie has had so many assistants down the years that he would not chose someone to assist him just because they say 'yes' t everything he proposes, he obviously knows what it takes to be a good assistant.

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This always comes up when we lose.

But when we win he gets forgotten.

People blamed Queirozzz for the boring football we played in 2005. How times change.
Not true sir,ive pulled Phelans contribution on numerous times as have others.Win or Lose we miss Carlos

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I dare say he will be judged by what we have won at the end of the season , if we win another couple of trophies then all these comments will mean nothing and everyone will have to eat humble pie

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
I dare say he will be judged by what we have won at the end of the season , if we win another couple of trophies then all these comments will mean nothing and everyone will have to eat humble pie
lol true, like ritchie said, i think its very hard to judge from the outside what is happening in terms of an assistant manager but i think he was great help in terms of tactics and players being at their top levels both defenders and attackers.

We had alot more interchanging last season and created more chances and our foreign players seem to listen to carlos so naturally replacing him would have been tough...however if we win 5 trophies, lol, noone will say a world and it'll all be forgotten lol :D

Maybe we could do with brining in someone at the end of the season, like a foreign assitant to help fergie and phelan out abit to get the players playing at their highest levels consistantly and us playing better football but in the end, winning is what counts and we will always play decent enough football with the players we have!

pz! :cool:

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Are we missing the big man Carlos more than we first thought? The tactics of a few games have been perculiar and changed at the wrong time for me.I think its pretty clear Mickey Phelan has little input in the in match tactics,and almost seems to hide behind Fergie.Its easy to look back and say this n that,but after 20 mins of Fulham for instance ,the game should have been changed,anyone remember Mourhino changing a game after 8 minutes with a substitute which then they destroyed the opposition? Im not saying Fergies tactics are crap,I would never diss the guy for one second.Its his other half which causes concern,

Basically is it time to look around and bring in a higher profile more qualified Number 2?Or is Phelan doing just fine and SAF is all to blame for the bad stuff?
I've said this here like a dozen times...

PLEEEEASE COME GET HIM!!!!!!

Before he completely ruins our chance at 2010.

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
Oh shut up you ******* idiots. As soon as we were winning with Phelan you guys were sucking his dick, now we lose TWO ******* GAMES and you want him sacked?

**** off.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
You talk alot of ****
No I don't.

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean that is the opinion of the forum.

Look at our conversation:

Me: This always comes up when we lose.
You: Not true sir,ive pulled Phelans contribution on numerous times as have others.Win or Lose we miss Carlos
Me:Yes it does. And you don't make the forum.

Whenever we lose this is a topic that always comes up, yet, as Justice rightly says, when we win, it gets rarely sounded about.
You, then said that you pull Phelan up regardless of whether we lose. I said, correctly, that you don't make the forum.

Oh shut up you ******* idiots. As soon as we were winning with Phelan you guys were sucking his dick, now we lose TWO ******* GAMES and you want him sacked?

**** off.
Agreed.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Theres a lot of personal insults flying around , remember we all want the same thing for united to win everything theres no need for half this crap.
A bit of respect is needed , no matter where we all come from we have a common cause and its UN-T-ED come reds lets shit on the villa

1 - 20 of 41 Posts