Manchester United Talk banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
23,699 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
It's strange you think Clattenburg is so poor. He is one of the best young refs
around imo. Ok this season he has made a few high profile errors
(which will happen in EVERY ref's career) but he still commands respect and does
a great job the majority of the time.
Versa-maybe you put Clattenburg there because he 'wronged' United?

Howard Webb is a top ref though. He's a copper as well, which helps him I think.
Chris Foy isn't too bad either and I rated Atkinson until he gave us nothing
against Pompey:rolleyes:
Both reasons are correct. :p

Seriously, I am no expert in this field; I am actually looking to Cappy and Cjl for some expert opinions especially after some controversial games or just generally speaking, and to hear some general feedbacks from members.

Or simply put, just a layman wanting some 'action' on referees after all the discussion on players, which after a while, you find yourself repeating your views on a certain player on different occasions only. Lol. :D

Perhaps when there are actual games or some general myths and misconceptions etc would be nice read.

·
Registered
809 Posts
like i said, i dont look at who, but how well...
but in my refereeing course, constant references were made to clattenburg as inspirational, starting at 14 in the north east, working his way up to the fifa register, i dont think he could have got that far without being a good referee

·
23,699 Posts
cjl_safcfan said:
like i said, i dont look at who, but how well...
but in my refereeing course, constant references were made to clattenburg as inspirational, starting at 14 in the north east, working his way up to the fifa register, i dont think he could have got that far without being a good referee
Oh!! :eek: Ok... I will pay more attention to referees when the season starts again. ;)

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
the penalty decision was spot on...let us be honest here - we were all full of praise for berbatov's pen against liverpool ( at least most of you ) and everyone was blaming the stupidity of agger , so i can't see how this was not a pen...especially as there was a rock solid contact - a bit clumsy but what can you do

get over it
Completely disagree with you on both accounts. Agger dove in, while Smalling stood there. Watch Zhirkov as he makes his run. He skips his running pattern to initiate the contact.

If the attacker initiates the contact from a defender who is standing there, how can it be a foul?

·
23,699 Posts
Completely disagree with you on both accounts. Agger dove in, while Smalling stood there. Watch Zhirkov as he makes his run. He skips his running pattern to initiate the contact.

If the attacker initiates the contact from a defender who is standing there, how can it be a foul?
American referee is de best. :first:

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts

he tried to initate the contact with his left foot but smalling tripped his right thus making it a penalty

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
he tried to initate the contact with his left foot but smalling tripped his right thus making it a penalty
Smalling is standing there though. He didn't dive in. He didn't make himself bigger to keep Zhirkov from playing the ball. It is completely different from the Berbatov penalty.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
Smalling is standing there though. He didn't dive in. He didn't make himself bigger to keep Zhirkov from playing the ball. It is completely different from the Berbatov penalty.
smalling didn't excactly stand though- look at his leg - he made a small step towards zhirkov, and zhirkov fell over his leg...could zhirkov have avoided him ? maybe(although i doubt it considering how close they were ), but then again, why should he -he was too close and it was too fast... why shouldn't a player outsmart his opponent to win a penalty - can't see anything wrong in that - the ref had a split second to decide and he decided it was a penalty--let me ask you this - if he hadn't given a penalty, would it have been fair considering there was tripping up

smalling didn't even look at zhirkov he went for the ball and tripped him - so naive

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
smalling didn't excactly stand though- look at his leg - he made a small step towards zhirkov, and zhirkov fell over his leg...could zhirkov have avoided him ? maybe(although i doubt it considering how close they were ), but then again, why should he -he was too close and it was too fast... why shouldn't a player outsmart his opponent to win a penalty - can't see anything wrong in that - the ref had a split second to decide and he decided it was a penalty--let me ask you this - if he hadn't given a penalty, would it have been fair considering there was tripping up

smalling didn't even look at zhirkov he went for the ball and tripped him - so naive
So now defenders have to get out of the way for attackers? If an attacker runs full speed into a defender with his head down it should be a penalty? No way. It is no call, no foul.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
So now defenders have to get out of the way for attackers? If an attacker runs full speed into a defender with his head down it should be a penalty? No way. It is no call, no foul.
i'm not saying they should run away, but zhirkov didn't run into him as smalling tripped him...smalling didn't stay still, he made a small step forward that tripped zhirkov - you surely saw that

smalling was just clumsy there , he was watching the ball and got caught - if zhirkov hadn't been tripped he'd have been 1 on 1 with vds

anyway i feel that decision could have gone either way

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
i'm not saying they should run away, but zhirkov didn't run into him as smalling tripped him...smalling didn't stay still, he made a small step forward that tripped zhirkov - you surely saw that

smalling was just clumsy there , he was watching the ball and got caught - if zhirkov hadn't been tripped he'd have been 1 on 1 with vds

anyway i feel that decision could have gone either way
So now it should be a red card as well? You've lost it...

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
So now it should be a red card as well? You've lost it...
did evra get a red card when he fouled torres at OT when we lost 4-1...no. it was a penalty but no red card - i didn't lose anything, you're the one who's lost i'm affraid

·
23,699 Posts
Interesting one but with the game long gone, best to debate That Goal in the Chelsea game here. Good archives too.

·
Big Daddy
34,250 Posts
Someone was saying that Atkinson is going to referee United V Arsenal :( I forget who, but it was some journalist suggesting that Fergie had the power to demote refs.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Arse had two decisions go against them today ---that is what makes the game --it is why we come on forums --people are fallible and make mistakes .

·
A curry and a crate of wifebeater please!!
25,242 Posts
Clattenburg struck again today according to Final Score. Haven't seen any highlights yet but he called a goal offside that wasn't and there was another penalty fiasco at the end of the game too.
Seriously, something needs to be done about the quality of the refereeing. They should be accountable for mistakes and poor performances.
I also heard Wenger was ranting about the ref's, bet he doesn't get a disciplinary hearing and a ban!

·
Juventus fan
17,446 Posts
What did Wenger say about the referee? Is it bad enough to equal the media witch hunt and FA investigation that Sir Alex has recieved?

·
A curry and a crate of wifebeater please!!
25,242 Posts
I didn't see the interview myself but a mate of mine said he was having a bit of a hissy fit over the refereeing. Nothing will be said about it though

·
M U F C
5,963 Posts
I didn't see the interview myself but a mate of mine said he was having a bit of a hissy fit over the refereeing. Nothing will be said about it though
because it is not manchester united, therefore the FA will not punish him.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts