Manchester United Talk banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Biggest issue about officials is King Kenny making his usual Sour-faced post match appearance and his weasel words about officials. This is the same guy that said after the Anfield game when Carragher assaulted nani 'people shouldn't come on and talk about officials just the football' Well kenny, what's changed???

·
Big Daddy
34,250 Posts
Finally, somebody who agrees. Aside from Poll, am I the only one who thought that Bosingwa should have been sent off for his foul on Nani? For me, that was a goalscoring opportunity.

Dowd used us being 3-1 up as an excuse to not make any big decisions. I bet he thought they'd go under the radar.
Just heard on Talksport that AVB is officially complaining over the referee on Sunday. Is he serious? He was lucky to finish with 11 men! Phil Dowd was equally bad to both sides - offiside on our goal, missed Cole's assault. It was a poor performance, but luckily both sides were victims..

·
23,699 Posts
Was the red card harsh? Was it a penalty?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ols-clash-with-manchester-united-8167443.html

Referee Mark Halsey was the victim of Twitter abuse following the Barclays Premier League fixture between Liverpool and Manchester United yesterday.

Halsey, who was diagnosed with throat cancer in 2009 but returned to refereeing in March 2010, sent off Liverpool midfielder Jonjo Shelvey for a challenge on United defender Jonny Evans and awarded a late penalty to United which Robin van Persie converted to seal a 2-1 win.

A tweet posted from an account named johnwareing1 read: "I hope Mark Halsey gets cancer again and dies" while another from lfcjohn259 read: "Mark Halsey should've died of cancer."

Both tweets were met with outrage from other users of the social media site. The post from lfcjohn259 was deleted and the johnwareing1 account was removed completely.

The Premier League were not immediately available for comment on the matter.

Halsey is due to officiate the Capital One Cup third-round meeting between Southampton and Sheffield Wednesday on Tuesday evening as originally planned.

The 51-year-old showed a red card to Shelvey but both managers had different views on the decision with Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers also questioning the award of United's penalty.

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson said of the decision: "I thought it was a clear red card.

"I don't think he went for the ball - Jonny Evans went for the ball and got the ball - and the boy's gone in really dangerously and I don't think there's any other decision the referee could have given."

But Rodgers was adamant his side had been hard done by.

"Jonjo Shelvey, if he gets sent off, then Jonny Evans has to go as well. I think both players' feet are off the floor," he said.

"I'm sure it's never a penalty, and then obviously Luis Suarez goes up the other end and gets a toe to the ball and the defender doesn't touch the ball, and he goes down and it looks a penalty. That was out of our control."

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
This is the funniest thing I've read in a while, according to this idiot all the referees and FA are on hand to help us at all times; to make sure we keep winning.

'The point is this:
Clattenburg sends a United player off in an embarrassing loss at home, and gets a 38 game absence from United games. Is there anyone out there who believes that after his performance at Stanford Bridge, he’ll go 38 games without taking charge of United again?'
The point is this:
http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/2012/10/the-whole-worlds-watching.html

:ROFL:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yes, and all that being orchestrated by a man who is himself a lifelong Man City supporter and former chairmen (David Bernstein).

Football supporters are allowed to be biased, but these muppets are not biased - they're blind.

·
crushed like a bug in the ground
9,195 Posts
This is the funniest thing I've read in a while, according to this idiot all the referees and FA are on hand to help us at all times; to make sure we keep winning.

'The point is this:
Clattenburg sends a United player off in an embarrassing loss at home, and gets a 38 game absence from United games. Is there anyone out there who believes that after his performance at Stanford Bridge, he’ll go 38 games without taking charge of United again?'
The point is this:
http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/2012/10/the-whole-worlds-watching.html

:ROFL:
To be honest the exact same thought crossed my mind when the commentators brought that stat up.

Let's hope we've got Marky C every week from now on. He's learned his lesson.

·
23,699 Posts
maco... "unnatural fall" was indeed Torres' downfall...

http://www.footballfancast.com/prem...burg-got-torres-decision-right-says-gallagher

Former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher has defended Mark Clattenburg’s decision to send Fernando Torres off for simulation in yesterday’s game between Chelsea and Manchester United.

Clattenburg handed Chelsea striker Torres a second yellow card for what he felt was simulation after Manchester United’s Jonny Evans appeared to have fouled him. But replays have since shown that Evans did make contact with Torres and that Clattenburg’s decision may have been wrong.

But Gallagher claims that he has spoken to Clattenburg since the incident and that he was right to book Torres for an “unnatural fall”.

Gallagher told Sky Sports: “He said to me, in his opinion, when he saw Torres going through he felt that it was an unatural fall. He said he felt that he had over run the ball, he felt that he was trying to get Jonny Evans in to trouble and he was willing to go to ground easily which, in Law 12, he is covered because an exaggerated fall is a caution-able offence.

“Mark felt it was an overexaggerated fall, it wasn’t natural. He has tried to decieve him in to giving a free-kick and getting Jonny Evans in to trouble. Therefore he is within his rights in Law 12 to give him a yellow card.”

But despite the defence of Clatternburg’s decision, Gallagher admitted that he felt it was a foul by Evans on Torres, although he has had the chance to see it over and over again.

“I thought it was a foul to be honest and, in fairness, I did tell Mark that on the phone. But, like everything in football, it’s subjective,” he added.

“He has his opinion, he’s seen it in the match. I’ve seen it many, many times on a replay.”

Graham Poll also gave his verdict on Clattenburg's performance event by event...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...downhill-Fernando-Torres-dodgy-dismissal.html

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
What i would like to see stop is players after the slightest touch grabbing their leg and screaming out in agony as if someone had just squashed their balls. It's clear playacting and unprofessional.

·
Hammer of the Gods
571 Posts
Refs seems to have had enough with the players this season. You see a lot more of play being allowed to continue when player stays down and most of the time that player recovers when he finds that play is not stopped. Also the players with a reputation for diving is not getting decision unless they are clear cut, sort of officials way of saying stop the acting and we might start believing you again. Suarez is a prime example of this, he is one of, if not the worst diver in the PrL and now the refs don't give him anything. I like this development and along with more yellow cards for diving, hopefully it will stop players for playing acting.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Refs seems to have had enough with the players this season. You see a lot more of play being allowed to continue when player stays down and most of the time that player recovers when he finds that play is not stopped. Also the players with a reputation for diving is not getting decision unless they are clear cut, sort of officials way of saying stop the acting and we might start believing you again. Suarez is a prime example of this, he is one of, if not the worst diver in the PrL and now the refs don't give him anything. I like this development and along with more yellow cards for diving, hopefully it will stop players for playing acting.
I am agree with You,but at same time I am a bit reserved. some times players goes down to avoid a bad tackle and a poor referees and fans can classify some situations as a dive.

·
23,699 Posts
Interesting find with apparent statistical evidences that referees are in general positive biased towards United. Agree, disagree?

http://www.refereedecisions.co.uk/how-the-refs-treated-man-u-last-season/

FINAL CONCLUSION

There is no denying the fact that Manchester United had a clearly positive bias from the refs in general. If you want to deny it be my guest and go through all the 32 games and point at where we are wrong in our numbers. It is in the open and you can check each decision.

In fact those few games when the ref made mistakes that went against United they dropped points. And maybe that is the best indication of them all that shows how important the refs can be.

·
we all walk the long road
2,682 Posts
Interesting find with apparent statistical evidences that referees are in general positive biased towards United. Agree, disagree?

http://www.refereedecisions.co.uk/how-the-refs-treated-man-u-last-season/

FINAL CONCLUSION

There is no denying the fact that Manchester United had a clearly positive bias from the refs in general. If you want to deny it be my guest and go through all the 32 games and point at where we are wrong in our numbers. It is in the open and you can check each decision.

In fact those few games when the ref made mistakes that went against United they dropped points. And maybe that is the best indication of them all that shows how important the refs can be.
Their conclusions are awfully biased. Every paragraph drips with ill-disguised malice, and snidey remarks. Most of their analysis is highly subjective and relies on the reader accepting their interpretation, which isn't given in way that convinces you of their impartiality.

First, the difference between referee decisions in United games and the average Premier League, isn't statistically significant. That's the main finding from those statistics, certainly the most important one, and should have been their conclusion, not something to mention once at the start then gloss over.

They then go on to say that in their opinion, Premier League refs make too many wrong decisions. So even though these wrong decisions affected Utd at a rate that is average for the league, we're presented with the conclusion that this is too high a number, but nothing to compare it to.

So, the most important decision in a match is awarding a goal correctly. Goals in a Utd game were more likely to be awarded correctly; for either team. The most important decisions in Utd games were awarded correctly more often than an average. That doesn't indicate bias to Utd; rather the opposite. Again, the results indicate that ref decision making was more or less the same in Utd games compared to others.

In Utd games, red cards were more likely to be awarded correctly 15% more often than in an average match. That is a statistically significant amount. It's important to note that as the amount of accurate decisions rises, the likelihood that Utd are the recipient of a biased decision in their favour falls. Again, this isn't enough for the author, who rhetorically asks if it's possible for it to be any worse.

Sadly, this is a rhetorical flourish that falls flat on its face.

The split of decisions look interesting, but with those individual referee decisions, you're typically looking at a sample size of 1 or 2, which makes small variations look disproportionately significant.

Pointing out that when decisions go against Utd, particularly the big decisions, they tend to drop points, is exactly what we'd expect to see. Nothing unusual there. The entire rest of the article is dedicated to conjecture.

If you still think you trust their analysis, here's a piece from their Liverpool analysis where they discuss the league position against decisions graph.

Now we see an interesting change in the bias numbers. If you look at the numbers you see a big bias in game 2. They then went top of the league and well someone wasn’t too happy about that. The bias suddenly swung the other way round and went in to the negative (look at 4 and 5).
And then happened the most strange thing. Kenny Dalglish went up to Mike Riley after he felt very hard done by the ref. He went to complain about a few things. And then just look at the bias numbers from game 6 on… They suddenly have turned around completely.
If you have lost it I will summarize it for you: Liverpool went top of the league and suddenly the refs turned against them. Then Dalglish complained about that when he went to visit the head of the PGMOL and suddenly the bias numbers were favourable for Liverpool for the next four games. So this is two unacceptable trends in those numbers. The negative bias when they go first and then the positive bias after complaining.

·
Big Daddy
34,250 Posts
I just hate the way that any decision made in a United game is subject to national debate, compared to those made in other games. It is the media that has perpetuated the myth that we get favourable treatment, and has in fact inadvertantly cost us decisions in the past by highlighting it - and thus applying pressure on officials not to "favour" us.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
the media don`t give a f*ck about fairness,thats the reality.they are complete phonies as there are bad decisions in every game but their AGENDA is to keep highlighting our games to influence future refs while hypocritically crying about corruption.had social media not got to such a huge status you wouldn`t be hearing most of this corruption sh*t.look at our game at chelsea,look at the sheer amount of bitter whiney crap thats been written while there hasn`t been any complaints about the decisions that have screwed us there down the years.people slate referees to deflect attention from their own failings and united fans at this stage should be more thick skinned about it

61 - 80 of 83 Posts