Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright then....

It seems that some transfer targets are always greeted with the reactions that they are impossible targets and wishful thinking. Sometimes these players are even branded as "over-rated" *facepalm*.

So in order to solicit some discussion other than than the usual tripe, I want to hear which "realistic" transfer targets you'd want at the club.

BTW, I too wouldn't want United to make certain signings, but not because i think they're unrealistic, but the fact that we owe a whole lot of money and better start finding ways to pay them back before the Glazers flog the club to the arabs.

So, let's have your summer transfer wishlist, which can NOT include the following players:
- Ribery
- Villa
- Eto'o
- Silva
- Aguerro
- Kaka
- Benzema
:frown:

I'll start the ball rolling by saying that we need a winger and a striker.
Even a right winger would be ok, so Ronaldo could play on the left.
Macheda and Welbeck could use another season or two being understudies or going out on loan. Neiether Tevez nor Berba are ideal strike partners for Wayne.

Wingers:
Jonas Guiterrez - sensible enough? I rate him. Has impressed every time I've seen him. Good physique, speed and skill.

Ashley Young - really good and yet to reach his peak. MON won't want to sell him, but probably couldn't resist a big bid.

Jesus Navas/Diego Capel
- Both of these players always seem to do well whenever I watch Sevilla. They're not world class, but they're good and easily better than Nani.

Arron Lennon
- always plays well against us and despite his slight physique is on one of the better attacking players in the prem. The stats are not in his favour, but he can cause havoc.

Strikers:

We need someone who can play as a target man and are even used to playing the lone striker role. I don't want someone who drops deep and all that. We have enough players doing that. At times we have 11 players on the pitch and seemingly not a single striker.

I've only seen him in the weekly round-ups but Pierre-Andre Gignac seems quite handy.

So do Edin Dzeko and Grafite from Wolfsburg.

Grafite's height, physique, ball control and finishing make him quite the player and I would be happy to have him at the club. Unfortunatley, he's already 30, so Dzenko at 23 and with his long limbs could really bring something different to the squad.

Roque Santa Cruz - I don't think Sam Allardyce could hold onto him for another season and the player himself will be raring to leave. He's scored twice against us and has all the attributes a good centre forward should have.

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
I understand that you dont think any big names will join us, and its understandably so, but that is no excuse for saying that Manchester United Football Club should ever sign a player like Jonas Guitterez or Roque Santa Cruz. That's just insulting.

Stephen Ireland for me. I wish.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Alrighty then, this would be my summer transfer wishlist.

Strikers

I don't want us to sign Tevez if he costs more than 10 million pounds. In that case, I would like us to sign a clinical striker in the mold of Huntelaar. But since there aren't that many strikers that fit my bill, I'll be content with Welbeck, Macheda and Campbell as backup strikers. These players need games for their development and some of them does have the potential to be very good players.

Wingers

Juan Manuel Mata - He is only 20 and plays for Valencia. He has impressed me whenever I see him play. He is pacey, tricky and has an eye for goal. Since Valencia are in financial problems, they would be forced to sell him if the price is right. One stumbling block is that R.Madrid are pursuing him.

Midfielders

Rafael Van Der Vaart - Things didn't work out for Van Der Vaart in Madrid. He is a quality player and we currently lack a quality attacking midfielder that can pull the strings from the attacking third of the pitch. I firmly believe that the presence of such a player would decrease the frequency in which our strikers drop deep to the midfield.

Defenders

While our first choice defense is the best in the world, Ferdinand's back problems and Wes Brown's recurring foot problems suggests that investing in a versatile defender wouldn't be such a bad idea. A versatile defender with experience in the premier league and doesn't sulk when being benched would increase the depth and quality of our defense. Someone like Vedran Corluka or Branislav Ivanovic would be ideal.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand that you dont think any big names will join us, and its understandably so, but that is no excuse for saying that Manchester United Football Club should ever sign a player like Jonas Guitterez or Roque Santa Cruz. That's just insulting.

Maybe I didn't express myself well.

I DO think big names would jin us.

There are other on this site who alwys scoff at it though and then don't offer alternatives.

This thread is meant to have some alternatives.

Of course I would like Ribery, but a lot of members here always dismiss it outright. So what would be the alternative?

You're saying Jonas Guitaerrez is much worse than Nani?

Do you think Man city would sell to United?

·
Registered
286 Posts

No way is it insulting. Jonas Guitterez and Roque Santa Cruz in a big club could be just as big as a Benzema or Messi. I mean Guitterez has all the atributes. He is tall, fast, skillful, strong and packs a great shot. And Santa Cruz is strong, fast and a great finisher. He has everything a great striker needs.

But lets forget. No one is better than the team around them. So while playing for Newcastle and Blackburn, they dont have the quality around them to make them something special. If they played for Manchester United however, things could be so much different.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Right, first of all I'd like to say, and I know you agree with me on this RFR, that we could get one of them, but some people on here get so wound up at the slightest of mention for them, but my message to them is to 'let it be' :D

Right okay here's what I'd do if I have to stick your rules:

Wingers

Ashley Young
Really exciting young, English winger. Is probably the best crosser of the ball in the premiership, can beat a mean one on one, can score a goal or two and could play on either flank, rarely gives away a pass, and does not shy away from putting a shift in for the team. I'm suprised he hasn't bolted down the regular England left wing place ahead of Stuart Dowing yet. I think he could do well here. He could set us back a few quid though, probably somewhere between £15m and £25m.

Alexis Sanchez Relatively unheard of outside the countries he has played in, he is a skillfull player, who moves well and has a good eye for a pass. The drawback to his game is that he doesn't score many but he's a rough diamond we could work with.

Juan Mata A product of the Real Madrid youth academy, moved to Valencia (who are now in a financial mess) in order to get first team football. And boy was it a good move. Now he's really come into his own, is a good dribbler, passer, and a regular goal scorer too. Clinical finishing has been a problem for us at times this season, but in him we would have a player who can score a goal. He's just broke into the ridiculously talented Spain team too, which is no mean feat. Given the situation Valencia are in, I think he could be bought at a very good price and would be a very handy little player for us. We could even involve a possible swap for Nani.

The reason I am omitting Aaron Lennon from this list if because the left wing is neither his nor Ronaldo's preferred position and I'd want everyone to be completely comfortable. Ronaldo were to go, I'd sign Lennon for the right wing, and one of the 'fan boy' wingers if possible for the left.

Strikers

May I start by saying I am firmly of the belief that Benzema IS a very possible signing, and I have a feeling we will get him, but anyone who wants to discuss that with me can do it on another thread because RFR has set this up to not wind certain people up and it would ruin things for him.

So who else is there? Well there are a couple of men who might be worth a punt, but aren't exactly 'world class'.

Cignac A Toulouse player who RFR mentioned, who seems to be a speedy striker who moves well, works the channels with a low center of gravity, and importantly is a lethal finisher.

Guilleme Hoarau for PSG, who is a bit of a brutal target man. he must be about 6'5, can score goals with his head or feat, and has good feet to hold up the ball. Could give us an extra dimension in the air, both for receiving crosses, and as a target man for the team to work around (like Emile Heskey for England, who Rooney plays excellent with)

Keirrison has emerged as a massive talent in Brazil over the last two seasons, is a lethal Solskjaer type finisher, who is prolific in his goal scoring, but doesn't bring a lot to overall team play. But if you give him a chance, he will take it.

Young Players

Jonjo Shelvey

A really exciting talent, bosses the midfield, is technically gifted, cann pass, move, score and tackle. In my eyes would be great as Paul Scholes's successor. Charlton have been relegated and are rumoured to be willing to sell him for £3m, which for a player of his talent is peanuts. After we missed out of Aaron Ramsey last summer, I think we should definitely go for this kid.

·
Registered
120 Posts
we don't need a winger..we have already signed Tosic..and I don't know why we didn't see him in the last 3 months (probably he is learning to play in epl)
I want a real finisher..Keirrison, Huntelaar, Dzeko, Kalinic but I think that Macheda is ready to play regulary for the first team

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alrighty then, this would be my summer transfer wishlist.

Wingers

Juan Manuel Mata - Good shout.

Midfielders

Rafael Van Der Vaart - Things didn't work out for Van Der Vaart in Madrid. He is a quality player and we currently lack a quality attacking midfielder that can pull the strings from the attacking third of the pitch. I firmly believe that the presence of such a player would decrease the frequency in which our strikers drop deep to the midfield.

I've seen him a few times at Hamburg and he is nowhere near as good as he used to be, now that he's at madrid.

Don't think his wife could handle living in Manchester though.

Defenders

While our first choice defense is the best in the world, Ferdinand's back problems and Wes Brown's recurring foot problems suggests that investing in a versatile defender wouldn't be such a bad idea. A versatile defender with experience in the premier league and doesn't sulk when being benched would increase the depth and quality of our defense. Someone like Vedran Corluka or Branislav Ivanovic would be ideal.
Ivanovic is better than people give him credit for. he's also a good buddy of Vidic, so h might be persuaded.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right, first of all I'd like to say, and I know you agree with me on this RFR, that we could get one of them, but some people on here get so wound up at the slightest of mention for them, but my message to them is to 'let it be' :D

Right okay here's what I'd do if I have to stick your rules:

Wingers

Ashley Young
Really exciting young, English winger. Is probably the best crosser of the ball in the premiership, can beat a mean one on one, can score a goal or two and could play on either flank, rarely gives away a pass, and does not shy away from putting a shift in for the team. I'm suprised he hasn't bolted down the regular England left wing place ahead of Stuart Dowing yet. I think he could do well here. He could set us back a few quid though, probably somewhere between £15m and £25m.

Alexis Sanchez Relatively unheard of outside the countries he has played in, he is a skillfull player, who moves well and has a good eye for a pass. The drawback to his game is that he doesn't score many but he's a rough diamond we could work with.

Juan Mata A product of the Real Madrid youth academy, moved to Valencia (who are now in a financial mess) in order to get first team football. And boy was it a good move. Now he's really come into his own, is a good dribbler, passer, and a regular goal scorer too. Clinical finishing has been a problem for us at times this season, but in him we would have a player who can score a goal. He's just broke into the ridiculously talented Spain team too, which is no mean feat. Given the situation Valencia are in, I think he could be bought at a very good price and would be a very handy little player for us. We could even involve a possible swap for Nani.

- Another shout for Mata, who seems to have found some admirers. I have to say though that I would prefer Ashley young, as he's been playing the prem for a few years now and who can certainly deliver the goods. You know my personal preference, but if we don't get "He, who shall not be named", then I'd definitely be very happy with Ashley Young.

The reason I am omitting Aaron Lennon from this list if because the left wing is neither his nor Ronaldo's preferred position and I'd want everyone to be completely comfortable. Ronaldo were to go, I'd sign Lennon for the right wing, and one of the 'fan boy' wingers if possible for the left.

Strikers

May I start by saying I am firmly of the belief that Benzema IS a very possible signing, and I have a feeling we will get him, but anyone who wants to discuss that with me can do it on another thread because RFR has set this up to not wind certain people up and it would ruin things for him.

- Richie, my friend, I believe we will signBenzema this season!
:)
You are not alone. We see talented people!;) People, who say that Benzema is unrealistic are being ridiculous. Are they doubting out stature as a club? Do they already know his final price tag. Are they privy to insider information?

It looks like Lyon might iss out on CL football this season and if they do Benzema's price tag will come down to a more realistic price range.

Having said that, if Berbatov was worth 30, Benzema is worth 40 easily!

So who else is there? Well there are a couple of men who might be worth a punt, but aren't exactly 'world class'.

Cignac A Toulouse player who RFR mentioned, who seems to be a speedy striker who moves well, works the channels with a low center of gravity, and importantly is a lethal finisher.

Guilleme Hoarau for PSG, who is a bit of a brutal target man. he must be about 6'5, can score goals with his head or feat, and has good feet to hold up the ball. Could give us an extra dimension in the air, both for receiving crosses, and as a target man for the team to work around (like Emile Heskey for England, who Rooney plays excellent with)

Keirrison has emerged as a massive talent in Brazil over the last two seasons, is a lethal Solskjaer type finisher, who is prolific in his goal scoring, but doesn't bring a lot to overall team play. But if you give him a chance, he will take it.

- I just watched a 'special' on Keirrison and the boy looks potentially like a world beater, but I wonder if he could handle premiership defenders. Knowing

Young Players

Jonjo Shelvey

A really exciting talent, bosses the midfield, is technically gifted, cann pass, move, score and tackle. In my eyes would be great as Paul Scholes's successor. Charlton have been relegated and are rumoured to be willing to sell him for £3m, which for a player of his talent is peanuts. After we missed out of Aaron Ramsey last summer, I think we should definitely go for this kid.
- I don't get to watch much Championship football and haven't heard of him before.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
Keirrison looks class, I'd like to see him at United.

I'm told Asenjo is good and his minimum release fee is reportedly €6 mil.
or something like that which isn't bad at all. I've never seen him play
apart from FM so I don't know.

I prefer players I haven't heard of, who had heard of Vidic, Nani, Macheda,
DS x2 and Rodrigo before we bought them/were linked with them?

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
No way is it insulting. Jonas Guitterez and Roque Santa Cruz in a big club could be just as big as a Benzema or Messi. I mean Guitterez has all the atributes. He is tall, fast, skillful, strong and packs a great shot. And Santa Cruz is strong, fast and a great finisher. He has everything a great striker needs.

Uhhhhh what. Guitterez is lanky and thats it. He has very little pace and is only strong due to being 6ft4. He is a mediocre dribbler purely down to his lanky legs. He does not "pack a great shot" at all, has he even scored for Newcastle? He isnt good in the slightest and I really dont know who you've been watching and mistaking for him.

Same with Santa. Completely over rated. Might be able to be in the right place at the right time, but that is by no means a rare attribute. He ISNT fast, ISNT strong and is only a decent finisher. Where the hell are you getting your estimations of skill from? Because it certainly isnt any place that observes the rules of logic.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
- I don't get to watch much Championship football and haven't heard of him before.
Yeah I would prefer Young too, but Mata would definitely be a cheaper option. So for instance if we were to get *cough* Benzema for £30m, we probably couldn't afford Young, so Mata would be an affordable option. But if we were to go for the 'realistic' strikers I mentioned, we probably could afford Young unless Villa really take the piss over his price.

Yeah keep your eye out for Shelvey, Charlton's season is now over and they will be playing League 1 football next season and have already put a £3m tag on him, I expect someone will have expressed an interest in him by the start of June.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Stephen Ireland.

I know the chances of signing him would be slim.
But I think this lad is class and has been one of the best players in the Premier League this season.
He's been Citteh's top player and Mark Hughes has said, he's going to build the team around him in future.

I quite like Mata aswell and Alexis Sanchez is very talented too.
I rekon the 2 of those could also be turned into top players at United.

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
:rofl: at some of the FM geeks. most of you posting a list of players have never seen half of them play.

I'm not convinced we're going to make a big name signing this summer (IF Ronaldo doesn't leave), with Ribery going to Barca and Ferguson saying that Nani is staying + Park signing a new contract.

Every position is covered well, even if Tevez leaves I wouldn't be surprised if Welbeck/Macheda/Campbell started getting their chances from the bench.

Van der Sar
Rafael Ferdinand Vidic Evra
Ronaldo Carrick Hargreaves Nani
Berbatov Rooney

With Evans, Brown, Anderson, Park and O'Shea the main rotators.

Having said all of that, if it were up to me, I'd go with Ashley Young - depending on the asking price.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.