Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realise there's probably a thread already open, but I had a quick look and didn't find one. Anywhoo...

Just wanted to get people's opinions on why Old Trafford doesn't generate as much noise as it should do. Too many day trippers? Lack of knowledge of the songs? Etc....

Because with a capacity of 76000 or something near that figure surely it should be a hell of a lot noisier..

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Shhh, I'm trying to watch the football.
Sit down, I'm trying to watch the football.
Stop swearing, my kids are watching the football.

Too many people go to the game to be entertained instead of to support the team. They sit there criticising the team, moaning when a pass goes astray, take photos etc but do not sing or clap and sometimes they don't even cheer when we score.

Although tbf last night I met someone that made me think day-trippers are not all bad. I was sat next to this guy who told me it was the first time he'd been to a United game and he was asking me questions about the club, the team, the stadium etc.

At first I thought 'typical day-tripper' but then he asked me the words to a chant the Stretford End were singing. When I told him the words he immediately joined in singing as loud as he could. Whenever I was singing he'd listen to the words and then join in. He shouted 'Come on United' when we won a corner and applauded when the team put some good passes together. Well done sir! :thumbsup:

He still left straight after Carrick scored though. :rolleyes:

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
The east stand was dead last night. I was sat right next to the away fans quite low down, and the away fans were making loads of noice. I was the one person making noise and trying to get chants going and giving stick back to the pompey lot. I even got dirty looks from out own fans for doing it and I swear there was a time in the first half when I heard my voice echoe when i tried to get a chant going.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
without trying to psychoanalyse people a fair few people just chanting isn't their thing or they fell inhibited or scared to do so........ sounds abit profoud , but true actually. diffenrent people, different mentality...i dunno as long as i can sing and shout when i fell like it -trying to work out other people takes a lot of effort and i'd just rather concentrate on me and my other half or dad or brother or whoever is with me having a good time.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
without trying to psychoanalyse people a fair few people just chanting isn't their thing or they fell inhibited or scared to do so........ sounds abit profoud , but true actually. diffenrent people, different mentality...i dunno as long as i can sing and shout when i fell like it -trying to work out other people takes a lot of effort and i'd just rather concentrate on me and my other half or dad or brother or whoever is with me having a good time.
I agree. They don't want to be the one which is shouting when everyone else is quiet. Which is understandable really but just not helpful! I think being sat down makes it a bit more uncomfortable for people to shout too.

But I just think fans have a responsiblity to be vocal in support of their team and thats something we need to learn at United.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I agree. They don't want to be the one which is shouting when everyone else is quiet. Which is understandable really but just not helpful! I think being sat down makes it a bit more uncomfortable for people to shout too.

But I just think fans have a responsiblity to be vocal in support of their team and thats something we need to learn at United.
just the way people are you can see it in them if you watch and listen to what they say......not gonna hold it against anyone in a nasty way if they are terminally shy or naturally quiet; horses for courses i suppose, but to be fair if they have got the balls to come to a crowded football match in the first place ok then dont stand up and start a chant or shout out on your own fair enough- but surely everyone can join in with a round of champions of europe, or stand up for the champions....... if they truly can't be bothered when most other people are joining in that pisses me off slightly.

surely if your shy and quit when most people round you are standing up and shouting, isn't sitting down and not doing anything gonna make you stand out even more in those circumstances??

lol anyway ... enough pop psychology for one morning :D

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I was sat right next to the away fans quite low down, and the away fans were making loads of noice.
I was surprised by how few Pompey fans were there last night. Obviously it's a hell of a long journey from Portsmouth, especially mid-week, but the away area only looked half full.

Tbh, I only joined in a couple of chants for the first 15-20 mins but then the 2 bottles of Bud I downed immediately before kick-off seemed to kick in and I started singing & shouting.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I was surprised by how few Pompey fans were there last night. Obviously it's a hell of a long journey from Portsmouth, especially mid-week, but the away area only looked half full.

Tbh, I only joined in a couple of chants for the first 15-20 mins but then the 2 bottles of Bud I downed immediately before kick-off seemed to kick in and I started singing & shouting.
The designated area was full just there was a fair section where the fans are separated. That Mr Portsmouth bloke was clanging his bell all match!

Lol I ended up downing buds before the game too, so ****in fizzy I had well bad stomach cramps after it! Why can't we be sponsored by a nice beer?!

Where were you sat by the way?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I feel part of it is that people have come from far around and so therefore want to just sit down and watch it after travelling for up to 5-6 hours. But this isn't the way to go. I live near Cardiff ( pause for sheep jokes ).......and I manage to get up to Manchester whenever I can afford it or get tickets. I was in the East Stand for the Fulham game last and I felt that was quiet but bewilderingly I came online and people were saying it was quite a good crowd.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Where were you sat by the way?
I have a season ticket in the North stand. I'm in block N3402 so I'm close to the scoreboard end. I was looking for that 'Mr Pompey' but couldn't spot him.

The main problem with my seat is that it's on the end of the row next to block N3403, which is full of men in suits and posh looking women. A group of 4 of them arrived 20 minutes into the game. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Stretford End All the way! Wont sit anywhere else! Hate those daytrippers lookin for a bit of entertainment! Ive seen Rooney play football but not do a song and a dance for the people who want a little entertainment! donuts!

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Stretford End All the way! Wont sit anywhere else! Hate those daytrippers lookin for a bit of entertainment! Ive seen Rooney play football but not do a song and a dance for the people who want a little entertainment! donuts!
Yeah the Stretfird End was lively as ever last night. Was anybody else here in the East Stand??

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
the stretty is the place to be , its superb and always has been
yeah mate it's the place to be, and i reckon it will always be that way. the only thing is that more and more people will tire (as i do) of being the one on their own trying to get the crowd going, and just move. i know there are probably a fair few lads on here contemplating it because it's renowned for being the best and people want to be there. however, it will detract further from the rest of the ground.

when you are the only one in a crowd singing and shouting, or when you stand and get told to sit, it's so frustrating, but i couldn't criticise the people who tell me to do so. because i know that there are more than enough people in that crowd who were 17 once, and were standing, singing and shouting at every ground up and down the country like i do now. my grandad is my perfect example. he comes to the south stand to meet united mates that he's followed us with for 50/60 years. he's in good shape for his age but no way can he stand, and it's hard for him to keep going with new chants. hardly as if he's less of a fan, because he's more if anything. that's why as much as i'd love our ground to regularly be a cauldron of noise, i can't moan that it isn't.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I cant get there these days ill health im sorry to say but my daughter and Grankids go , what happend to K stand ? that area used to be very noisy , also have to say when freddie scored that winner against Villa the place looked and sounded bouncing to me .

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think, that there is just too many "day trippers" going to games now, if MUFC ever (if it was possible) increased Old Trafford's capacity even more, surely it would be even worse?

I think out of 75000 fans only about 60% of fans sing/cheer etc. The other 40% are there to enjoy the stadium, take pics, and will probably only visit O/T once or twice in their lives.

Roy Keane had a point.......

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
I cant get there these days ill health im sorry to say but my daughter and Grankids go , what happend to K stand ? that area used to be very noisy , also have to say when freddie scored that winner against Villa the place looked and sounded bouncing to me .
sorry to hear that mick, wish you the best. my dad was in the same position for the last few years, but he's back to his best now, so i wish you the same :thumbsup: . k stand barmy army ( :p ) is still there in the corner or k and j stand, and usually generate a little bit of noise. and yeah villa was a one off, south stand on their feet singing for 5/10 minutes was a first for me! many around me said the atmosphere hadn't been as good since milan semi a couple of years ago

·
Registered
1 Posts
I very rarely go now, due to all the glory hunters that have jumped on the bandwagon over the last ten or so years, but during the 80's the United road paddock was buzzing ( as was "K" stand) and every one in there sang!! I took my son to OT two years ago and told him of the amazing noise in the ground, but when inside he turned to me half way through the game and said "dad it's not that loud" and he was right. There are too many United fans now who's whole weekend isnt ruined if we loose and who dont go into a deep depression when we dont win...............some of us though still have the one thing OT lacks, and thats passion for our boys in Red???

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was in the North stand for the Villa game, and for 70 mins or so the atmosphere was quiet to say the least, when MUFC come back like that there is bound to be carnival atmosphere (and rightly so). But I wish fans would stop expecting 4-0 with R&R 2 goals a piece and just give MUFC support,even when they aren't giving teams a "hiding". One fan a row in front of me even tried telling me Scholes was playing that day,(even though he was banned for the game) the guy said he knew this because he had seen it in the betfred stand earlier !!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
One thing i hate about the United crowd is their constant shout of 'SHOOOOOT!!' once a United player has the ball at the end of the box!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts