Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
down to fairweather fans who dont care bout our history, our heritage. Dont believe in the crowd being the 12th man or that they can impact the game in any way possible

these are people who take the 'theatre of dreams' to its literal formand got to see an exhibition with a bag of haribo thrown in for good measure. Ask them about munich and they will look at you with blank faces. Talk about Robson, Whiteside, Coppell, Strachan, McQueen, McGrath and again it would be end of conversation.

The other factor is the number of foreign fans who just go to one game per season and thats it. Armed with a camera with the lens that could take out a complete row and their dozen bags of United memorabilia, they dont know the chants, probably dont know the language and that will be their one game of the season as they have to factor in plane tickets, hotel rooms into the price. As result, they along with the glory hunters suck any kind of atmosphere and togetherness among the fans.

I was lucky enough to get to some games last season sat in the same seat and around the same people. When we scored in one game, I was dancing in the aisle with a bloke i known for 35 minutes prior on my back, next game i went to he was there again. At the start of the game people were giving other people birthday cards cos they sat near each other for that one 90 minutes per fortnight. This is the kind of people that the United crowd is sadly lacking.

I am also rather critical of the fans who leave with 5 mins left but next time you go and leave after full-time look around and i bet there is at least 6 fans holding up your section to get that one last picture with scarf aloft that they couldnt get in the previous 2 hours prior.

Currently, unless changes are encouraged by board members, it will only get worse

·
Registered
717 Posts
I know some Reds who live close to me and i have nicknamed them 80 min REDS a few years back before i was ill my car broke down we were playing Dortmund in the C/L semi , anyway i go round this guys and ask have they any room in the minibus for 2 of us yep no prob they said so off we go to the game .
I wont go on about how we lost lol but as ever i stayed till the death when we got back to bus they all going nuts at us we have been waiting 20 mins for you now we will miss our pint in the pub :confused:, i never went with them again and hence the nickname 80 min Reds , best is we live a ten min drive from O/T .

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
i know the day trippers get a spanking, but some of the above comments apply to ST holders aswell- as ive been all over the ground this season thanks to the ballot i've seen people who go every game or have been for years up to the same tricks.....leaving early,not gettin up and singing, slagging players off for the entire game showing little support. its a mixture these days.

if you think about it for years now people who have been coming regulaly to matches are now forming a whole new breed of fans who go to every or most games , yet are happy to sit in a catatonic state for 80 mins before then leaving to get to the car park.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts