Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theo - "Europe is affraid of us now " - rofl !!!!

Theo Walcott says Europe's top sides will be fearful of playing Arsenal after their 5-2 Champions League destruction of Fenerbahce in Istanbul.

The hosts' intimidating Sukru Saracoglu Stadium has been a fortress over the last couple of years, with the team not having lost there in 16 European matches before the Gunners blew them away.

And England international Walcott, scorer of the second goal within 11 minutes, thinks it is a result which cannot be ignored by their main rivals.

"All the teams will look in Europe and see the 5-2 win, Arsenal away, with a young team and I think the other teams will be scared to play us," said the 19-year-old.

"That's the impression we want to give out to all the other teams. We do that and we have always got them on the back foot and hopefully we can just keep performing like that."

With a defence missing three first choices in William Gallas, Kolo Toure and Bacary Sagna there were always going to be a few lapses but it was the attacking strength of Arsenal which got them through.

The result also probably puts them within one win of making the knock-out stages.

"It was absolutely brilliant. The main thing was getting the three points and everyone got their jobs right and we scored five goals and it was nice to see us taking our chances," said the former Southampton youngster.

"This young team has had a lot of experience at Champions League level now.

"Everyone got their jobs right - we studied Fenerbahce and how they play.

"We knew their fans would be right behind them but we quietened them down straight away by scoring two very early goals and it was a brilliant performance."

With a two-point cushion at the top of Group G and Fenerbahce to come next at the Emirates Stadium, Walcott believes it gives the team a chance to re-focus on their domestic campaign.

Shock defeats away to Fulham and at home to Premier League newcomers Hull have dented their bid to keep pace with leaders Chelsea and Liverpool.

But the confidence from their European performance can only assist in improving their league form.

"It definitely does help because the Premier League is important as well," said Walcott.

"We always want to play well whatever game we play, but we are just looking at every game as it comes, not getting ahead of ourselves and that's all we can do really.

"It's going well. Sometimes you have slips in the season but we've dropped a few points and have to make sure it doesn't happen again.

"Hopefully we can build on this win. We will have to study this game ahead of the next one.

"We just need to take the positives out of last night because it's something we need to learn from.

"There were quite a few negatives as well but it's not going to always be perfect every game - but it was definitely perfect in the final third."

hahahahaha
nice one theo !

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Got to admit, their football is good at times, and they were impressive last night, a tough place to go, and they ran riot. However, it's obvious that when they come up against United, Chelsea, Madrid, Barca, and even Liverpool they're going to be over-run. I know they did a few years back, but their squad is even more in-experienced and probably not as good. They continue to lose players each season, they are not sustainable. Obviously they're set in the long-term perspective, but how can they progress and win things right now when they lose a key player each season? Henry, Flamini, Hleb...

I don't consider them contenders, but this competition has shocked in the past, so don't rule it out. As for Europe fearing them... losing at home to Hull speaks for itself.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because I'm DC said:
Got to admit, their football is good at times, and they were impressive last night, a tough place to go, and they ran riot. However, it's obvious that when they come up against United, Chelsea, Madrid, Barca, and even Liverpool they're going to be over-run. I know they did a few years back, but their squad is even more in-experienced and probably not as good. They continue to lose players each season, they are not sustainable. Obviously they're set in the long-term perspective, but how can they progress and win things right now when they lose a key player each season? Henry, Flamini, Hleb...

I don't consider them contenders, but this competition has shocked in the past, so don't rule it out. As for Europe fearing them... losing at home to Hull speaks for itself.
the recent history has shown that they are not even long-term perspective...even you said it yourself - they are losing players with each season - they can't have future like that
so i'd add they are a young team which will be developing young players and eventually sell them to BIG clubs

·
Registered
322 Posts
Can add an little more reply,

For some years ago, when Arsenal where at the top, they had Vieira,Pires And Henry. When they left almost everything fell apart, Arsenal kept buying young players, and everything were the same. So Arsenal came up with the best idea ever, lets buy some player to this season. The answer were Nasri 21, Vela 19.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I dont see the problem in what he's saying :confused:

Like it or not they ARE one of the top teams in Europe.
They only finished 4 points behind us last season (and had a lot of bad luck and a **** captain)
and just 2 points behind Chelsea. Thats not much considering that ourselves and Chelsea
ARE the 2 best teams in Europe. Walcott is just bigging up his team, nowt wrong
with that.....is there? what was he supposed to say?
Id hate to be drawn against them in the CL. Id much prefer a Juve or a Liverpool than that lot.
credit where credit is due, they are a top side, even though they are lacking 1-3
top players to really make it to the very top. It wasnt that long ago they made the
CL final....Its not as if ourselves or Chelsea have made that many in the last few years.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jazz 16 said:
I dont see the problem in what he's saying :confused:

Like it or not they ARE one of the top teams in Europe.
They only finished 4 points behind us last season (and had a lot of bad luck and a **** captain)
and just 2 points behind Chelsea. Thats not much considering that ourselves and Chelsea
ARE the 2 best teams in Europe. Walcott is just bigging up his team, nowt wrong
with that.....is there? what was he supposed to say?
Id hate to be drawn against them in the CL. Id much prefer a Juve or a Liverpool than that lot.
credit where credit is due, they are a top side, even though they are lacking 1-3
top players to really make it to the very top. It wasnt that long ago they made the
CL final....Its not as if ourselves or Chelsea have made that many in the last few years.
before that final their highest achivement had been the quarters so in my eyes valencia and porto are bigger clubs than them in europe....
as for their team - last year i was a bit fearfull of them but today - no way - not a chance...

as i said - the fact that they were leading throughout most of the last season just to finish 3rd in the last few months and that it keeps their fans satisfied with the season being branded as succesfull tells a lot how big club they are, and about their ambitions...

imagine if that had been us,real or milan, or even barca - imagine the pressure that would have been put on the team/managers...the whole world would be laughing at us - but at arsenal - they're happy ?

you mentioned luck - well Mr. "i'm-so-smart-because-of-my-french-accent" Wenger doesn't think luck has ANY ( i repeat ANY ) influence of the match...it's all about deserving results - and let's face it - they didn't deserve any...sure they were unlucky on a few occassions but when i remember how many times they scored the late equaliser last season (even in this one ) i just think that their luck was balanced - they won a few, they lost a few.....

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
If Zico was still manager they wouldn't have had things so easy. I've always believed Aragones is an overrated coach.

Even after winning EURO 2008 I believe that the squad won the trophy more so than Aragones coaching ability.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Theo is right, Arsenal are a big team, and for there youngeres to play like that is scary. I am not being bias, Arsenal played great football. But they should not get to carried away with a win.

·
Banned
292 Posts
CROoney said:
Theo Walcott says Europe's top sides will be fearful of playing Arsenal after their 5-2 Champions League destruction of Fenerbahce in Istanbul.

The hosts' intimidating Sukru Saracoglu Stadium has been a fortress over the last couple of years, with the team not having lost there in 16 European matches before the Gunners blew them away.

And England international Walcott, scorer of the second goal within 11 minutes, thinks it is a result which cannot be ignored by their main rivals.

"All the teams will look in Europe and see the 5-2 win, Arsenal away, with a young team and I think the other teams will be scared to play us," said the 19-year-old.

"That's the impression we want to give out to all the other teams. We do that and we have always got them on the back foot and hopefully we can just keep performing like that."

With a defence missing three first choices in William Gallas, Kolo Toure and Bacary Sagna there were always going to be a few lapses but it was the attacking strength of Arsenal which got them through.

The result also probably puts them within one win of making the knock-out stages.

"It was absolutely brilliant. The main thing was getting the three points and everyone got their jobs right and we scored five goals and it was nice to see us taking our chances," said the former Southampton youngster.

"This young team has had a lot of experience at Champions League level now.

"Everyone got their jobs right - we studied Fenerbahce and how they play.

"We knew their fans would be right behind them but we quietened them down straight away by scoring two very early goals and it was a brilliant performance."

With a two-point cushion at the top of Group G and Fenerbahce to come next at the Emirates Stadium, Walcott believes it gives the team a chance to re-focus on their domestic campaign.

Shock defeats away to Fulham and at home to Premier League newcomers Hull have dented their bid to keep pace with leaders Chelsea and Liverpool.

But the confidence from their European performance can only assist in improving their league form.

"It definitely does help because the Premier League is important as well," said Walcott.

"We always want to play well whatever game we play, but we are just looking at every game as it comes, not getting ahead of ourselves and that's all we can do really.

"It's going well. Sometimes you have slips in the season but we've dropped a few points and have to make sure it doesn't happen again.

"Hopefully we can build on this win. We will have to study this game ahead of the next one.

"We just need to take the positives out of last night because it's something we need to learn from.

"There were quite a few negatives as well but it's not going to always be perfect every game - but it was definitely perfect in the final third."

hahahahaha
nice one theo !
CRO I don't really get what your problem is, Theo has said nothing wrong there whatsoever. Arsenal are one of the best teams in the world, they play a fantastic and unique style of football that is great to watch. Other teams in europe do fear meeting Arsenal just like they fear meeting Manchester United so I don't know why your having a dig at Theo. Arsenal are a much more likeable club than Chelsea or Liverpool, there is alot that I really like about Arsenal and the fact that they are one of Manchester United's main rivals does not change that. CRO I have no doubt that the only reason your having a go at Theo is because your still bitter about the way that he tore Croatia apart and ended there unbeated record in Zagreb is comprehensive style.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Banana-rama said:
CRO I don't really get what your problem is, Theo has said nothing wrong there whatsoever. Arsenal are one of the best teams in the world, they play a fantastic and unique style of football that is great to watch. Other teams in europe do fear meeting Arsenal just like they fear meeting Manchester United so I don't know why your having a dig at Theo. Arsenal are a much more likeable club than Chelsea or Liverpool, there is alot that I really like about Arsenal and the fact that they are one of Manchester United's main rivals does not change that. CRO I have no doubt that the only reason your having a go at Theo is because your still bitter about the way that he tore Croatia apart and ended there unbeated record in Zagreb is comprehensive style.
hahaha - this one's even better-----rofl.....

i said to myself that i wont be replying to any of your posts after your disgraceful pm but wtf zagreb has to do with it ??? -why do you keep provoking me ?

- i just think that there are other teams to be feared than some lousy arsenal - a club which will go out in the quarters....

btw - this thread was meant to be "the arsenal bashing thread" but people clearly got it all wrong --
affraid of arsenal - yeah right !
let me tell you this - IF THEY WIN EPL OR A CL THIS YEAR I WILL NEVER - EVER EVER EVER EVER PUT A POST ON THIS FORUM EVER AGAIN !!!!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
i have to admit arsenal have a good midfield and attack, but they dont have the squad for these postions. There weakness is there defense, fenerbache had a lot of opertunities because of digraceful defensive errors, arsenal were luck at the back. I think they will be something next seaosn if they keep the players to build a better squad

·
Registered
601 Posts
i have to admit arsenal have a good midfield and attack, but they dont have the squad for these postions. There weakness is there defense, fenerbache had a lot of opertunities because of disgraceful defensive errors, arsenal were luck at the back. I think they will be something next seaosn if they keep the players to build a better squad

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
CROoney said:
before that final their highest achivement had been the quarters so in my eyes valencia and porto are bigger clubs than them in europe....
as for their team - last year i was a bit fearfull of them but today - no way - not a chance...

Valencia and Porto have better records in the CL maybe, but
it doesnt mean they are a better team, cos they arent...
Porto have a better record than Chelsea, does it mean that they are better than Chelsea?
You mentioned them last year and yes they were a very good team last year
and they lost key players like Hleb, Gilberto and especially Flamini.
But they have youngsters this season ready to come in and doa good job.

as i said - the fact that they were leading throughout most of the last season just to finish 3rd in the last few months and that it keeps their fans satisfied with the season being branded as succesfull tells a lot how big club they are, and about their ambitions...

Who says they were 'satisfied'? I know a few Arse fans and I can tell
you that they were FAR from satisfied with how things went last season.
They couldnt believe their bad luck and the terrible run of results they had. A lot
of them felt cheated haha.

imagine if that had been us,real or milan, or even barca - imagine the pressure that would have been put on the team/managers...the whole world would be laughing at us - but at arsenal - they're happy ?

No Croo, they were NOT happy. Im not sure where you got this info. :confused:

you mentioned luck - well Mr. "i'm-so-smart-because-of-my-french-accent" Wenger doesn't think luck has ANY ( i repeat ANY ) influence of the match...it's all about deserving results - and let's face it - they didn't deserve any...sure they were unlucky on a few occassions but when i remember how many times they scored the late equaliser last season (even in this one ) i just think that their luck was balanced - they won a few, they lost a few.....
bits in red^^^^

If we are being fair, they had more bad luck than good luck last season and they
onlly finished 4 points behind us. I cant believe Im defending Arsenal in this thread
as it makes my skin crawl, but credit where credit is due. They have a great team,
who WILL make plenty of teams scared.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I know Arsenal fan's and they were not happy last year to toss away the league.... how could they be happy with that, so that's bull....

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I don't personally fear them in the CL as i think they always crumble around the quarters. Although to go to Instanbul and score 5 goals when they have been unbeaten for the past 3 years is some achievement plus they had a "Carling Cup" line up out, so tbf got to give them credit there.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts