Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't speak for the rest of you but as the seasons drawing to a close I feel that we're in a good position to come away from this year with some decent silverware, not to jinx it. ;) That said I can't help but feel that our short squad could cost us. At the beginning of the season when Fergie sold Rossi, then sold Smith & finally brought in Tevez leaving us with only 2 physically fit strikers, sorry Saha but it's true, I was pretty nervous. Now in hindsight it might be tempting to say that my fears were ungrounded but I don't think so. Does anyone else still not understand why we sold Rossi. I can't help but feel, and I hope it isn't so, that somehow our lack of options and variety up front could be costly. Rossi has potential to be great, truly great. Can I get some opinions on why we sold him. Also there's one other thing. Ronaldo may single handedly make up for a lack of goals from midfield but that's just something that continues to niggle. Nani has scored some crackers but ultimately Scholes & Giggs are getting on and Hargreaves/Anderson/Carrick aren't free scoring individuals. I just feel that United are literally one target striker & one free scoring central midfielder away from greatness.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Scoring options

Anderson will find his shooting boots, no doubt about it. He's the complete package and the goals will come.

SAF didnt want to sell Rossi but he was left with no choice. Rossi is a very little fella and he was finding it hard playing against the big bad hatchet boys of the Prem and didnt want to go out on loan again (which from his career point of view is understandable)
He's very talented but not sure that he could cope with the physical challenge of th PL.

Saha, unfortunately is a supremely talented Darren Anderton (sick note) and surely SAf has to dump him in the summer, he's no use to us injured all the time.
I hope we go for either Huntellar or Bojan of Barca to replace him as they r both young and they arent injured. Having said that, with the young players that we already have, maybe an axperienced striker would work better (Etoo, Berbatov) as too many youngsters can affect consistency.
Discuss.

·
Registered
854 Posts
rossi is doing well in spain ye. but so did forlan, and kanoute. and cygan for that matter. rossi has a lot of talent but he is jst not a united player.

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
Tactically inept suggestion.

We often only play with one upfront and Ronaldo has proved on many occasions that he can play more than adequately in a central attacking role.

Try watching games instead of picking snippets from commentators who know nothing more than what number Rooney has on his back.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
dlan4327 said:
I just feel that United are literally one target striker & one free scoring central midfielder away from greatness.
One natural target man? Yes, deffo'! But I'd tend to disagree on one free-scoring central midfielder as United are already packed with 5 players in that department currently. A right-back would be a more crucial signing atm ;)

·
Registered
590 Posts
I think the main reason Rossi left was because he wanted regular first team football. He was a good player but at the present time, United need a big strong target man up-front, not another short nimble fella.

Many people forget that we do have a buy-back option on Rossi, which is something SAF wanted in his contract when he moved. So if he does continue to develop and in the future United needed a player like him, then who knows he may come back one day, even if it is unlikely.

I was disapointed to see Rossi leave because he was talented. It was just hard for him to get a run in the side and prove himself.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I believe not only that we needed him but he deserved at opportunity because he was a good striker with potential but then again he wanted to leave for football but Fergie had a good feeling about him simply because he has that clause in his contract so hopefully he could come back one day.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Ryan Carlos Roonaldo Esq said:
Anderson will find his shooting boots, no doubt about it. He's the complete package and the goals will come.

SAF didnt want to sell Rossi but he was left with no choice. Rossi is a very little fella and he was finding it hard playing against the big bad hatchet boys of the Prem and didnt want to go out on loan again (which from his career point of view is understandable)
He's very talented but not sure that he could cope with the physical challenge of th PL.

Saha, unfortunately is a supremely talented Darren Anderton (sick note) and surely SAf has to dump him in the summer, he's no use to us injured all the time.
I hope we go for either Huntellar or Bojan of Barca to replace him as they r both young and they arent injured. Having said that, with the young players that we already have, maybe an axperienced striker would work better (Etoo, Berbatov) as too many youngsters can affect consistency.
Discuss.
I think you are wrong to say that Rossi could not physically cope with the premier league. Defoe, Wright-Philips and Lennon are all smaller than Rossi and are top performers. I Knew that selling Rossi was a mistake at the time, this is not hindsight. I believe the matches where we have dropped points such as Reading, Man City and Bolton where as a direct result of us lacking a striker to replace Rooney when he was injured or needed a rest. Do not even mention Saha, we knew his injury problems before the season started. If Rooney gets injured who do we play up front, Tevez on his own. We saw what a disaster that was earlier in the season. If we had kept Rossi I believe we would be winning the league more comfortably now in my opinion and we would still be in the Fa Cup. Do not say that he wanted to leave, for the last 3 years Dani Alves has wanted to leave Sevilla but he is still there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rossi

True, there have been loads of great small players but Rossi just wasnt strong enough at the time. Rooney is not big, Evra is not big and neither is Tevez or were Zola, Wise etc but they all had a little more power than Rossi.

Dont get me wrong, I would have loved for him to stay but he would have got increasingly frustrated. Coming up against defences like Blackburn, Bolton, Portsmouth etc is very hard for a player like him.

Hopefully we can get him back at some point and Villarael is a good club to learn at and he should be getting stronger all the time.

Maybe we would be further in front if we had kept him but we should just be thankful that we are top and that were in great form.
Fergie bases his decisions on how it ill affect team chemistry and morale and I'm not gonna question him anymore cos he almost always is right.
We will need another backup striker though, thats why he signed a 6ft plus Angolan.Does not help us much this season though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts