Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know I may yet like Avram Grant. For those who haven't heard he staged what can only be described as the football manager's equivalent of the "Silent Treatment". Only he did it at a press conference. Also his side won. Imagine what he would have been like if he lost? Frankly I'm all for what he did. Mainly because I blame the English media for the current state of the national squad. I may not be English but I care about English players since the likes of Wayne Rooney among others happen to be English players. The English media heap on the pressure waiting for a whiff of failure. Then they pounce. They sit around pulling English players apart for every little thing they do wrong, then they ask why the national side is in such a dismal state?

Put yourself in Grant's shoes. You've taken a Chelsea side who got off to a dismal start up to a position where you are in the CL semi - finals and you've an outside chance at the Premiership title. You'd expect maybe a little credit, right? Not from the media. They've savaged him with glee at any given opportunity. His crime? Not being Mourinho. He has a right to act a little petulant when he has to deal with these same people week in, week out. Imagine having a bunch of people who make a living making you feel miserable. Now imagine you volunteer to see these people once a week sometimes twice. Now imagine that one day you get fed up. Yet you're still decent enough to turn up and make an attempt to answer grudgingly in monsyllables. Then they have the gall to get fed up with you? Hardly seems fair does it? Maybe he could have chosen to bypass the press conference but showing up at all shows he at least understands the concept of duty. Read the transcript, deep down it's what every manager has wanted to do at some point.

Reporter: A deserved win, Avram?

Grant: "Yes."

What particularly pleased you about the performance?

"I'm pleased."

What in particular pleased you?

After a delay: "I don't know."

Is it a relief to win here?

"Yes."

You seem lost for words. Are you more satisfied with the performance or the win?

"Both."

You seem distracted. Do you have a problem?

"No problem."

Is there an issue?

"No. I'm ok. I have nothing to say."

Do you have a message for the Chelsea fans?

"You represent the Chelsea fans?"

They must believe you are still in the title race, do you have a message for them?

"No message."

Does this result mean you are back in it now?

"I don't know."

You seem less voluble than usual. Is it because of Sky TV moving the game to a Thursday?

"Maybe it's because of you. I don't know. I am OK."

You are saying that you don't know if you are still in the title race?

"No."

Is it easier to say nothing, Avram?

"I don't what to answer. It is a good question. I don't know what to answer."

Is this because Sky?

"No. Sky is OK. I enjoy watching them."

Is it a protest against newspapers?

"No. Why?"

Why else would you come in and refuse to answer our questions?

"I answer every question."

You are two points behind Manchester United and you don't know if you are still in the title race?

"No."

Have you told the players that you don't know if you are back in the title race?

"What I tell the players is something else. You want me to tell you what I say to the players?"

We just want you to answer the question. Are you in the title race?

"I don't know."

Would you not like to gain some positive publicity for the result rather than this bizarre silence?

"I'm sorry. You can write whatever you want and I can answer what I want."

Have you ever played the yes/no game, Avram?

No answer.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
if he can do what mourinho could not do with chelsea for 3 seasons and win the CL trophy, nobody would have any complaints about him. he still stands a chance

·
Banned
9,929 Posts
Think hes done well considering what he had to follow. Very slim hopes to win it
but if the unthinkable happened, I wonder where all the Chelski fans who are
baretting him, now woyld be! Eh?

Funny that! :rolleyes:

Be amazed if he was there next season......fans have the power

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Like I posted before in another thread Chelsea has done very well in the circumstances that they have been placed in:

Mourinhio Sacking
Injuries to several key stars all at once
African Nations Cup
Fans not accepting the new manager

To have all those things disrupt the season they still managed an excellent season:

League Cup Finalists
FA Cup Semis (Like United too)
CL Semis (Like United)
Still in the EPL race (Like United)

So to be fair they even went further than us in one competiton and have equaled us in the others so who ever does win the EPL I would say had the better season but we did not have such disruptions (maybe the beggining of the season with Rooney's broken foot)

But for Avram Grant to come out and do a Rafa style press conference - something is clearly up and I think maybe he will get the sack end of the season and maybe that Wigan draw put more pressure on him from above..don't worry we will soon find out via the press/media!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts