Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I think Fergie SHOULD have given him more games.

It would have given the yung man a chance to prove himself and get some minutes on the board. However, there;s never a better time to prove yourself than when the chips are down.

This opportunity can work for or against Pique.

Now, he won't be partnering the regular colossal players Vidic or Ferdinand therefore it will be tougher for him to do a good job, BUT if he can play with the positional sense that we know he possesses than he will gain Fergie's trust and thrust his name into contention for a starting place.

Not to mention win over a few fans in the process. ; )

In a way the next two weeks will be a real test of character for the club and its staff.
Chelsea had a similar test at the beginning of the season and have done, very very well (albeit with millions of rubels worth of backing) to come through those testing months.

I guess now it's our turn to show how good our bench is and how good the reserve coaching staff have done with Pique. It's also a test for the physios to gt the injured back as soon as possible and a test for the squad players to strut their stuff.

If the likes of O'Shea and Park can step up and be counted, we have a very good chance. If they don't, we're in the brown stuff and it will give Fergie and the Glazers plenty to think about in terms of the squad for next season.

In either case we have to get right behind the team and Fergie. It's not the time to moan about who;s not expeienced enough or who;s past it. They're wearing the red and the;re giving us their best and we should be doing the same.

GGMU!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
moondog said:
I know that I am going to get a lot of stick for this, but I think we miss Vidic WAY more than we will Rio. If you look at games where either one is out - the back four is simply much more stable with Vidic (without Rio) than it is with Rio (without Vidic).

And unfortunately, Rio seems to be more intent on blaming other players for lapses on defense than figuring out ways to stop them! The two goals that boro scored were right up the middle...would we have had the same defensive blunders with Vidic in there? Something tells me he would have been there to shut them down.

IMHO the goal against bolton may have looked like Pique's mistake, but Rio should have dealt with it. After all, he's supposed to be the big guy back there, isn't he?

Captain eh? He wouldn't be my choice...
I don't think you;ll get a lot of stick. Maybe just a little : )

Not from me though, I think you're right. Rio needs Vidic a little more than the other way around, BUT they both need each other.

They have formed a very good partnership. Shivers still race down my spine when I think of the 2leg against Milan last season. Vidic had just come back from injury and wasn;t near 100% and was thrust into the deep end without his reliable partner Rio.

The rest to painful to think about. The next day I had to entertain an Italian colleague at a wine bar where the were showing a replay of the game and my colleague was waxing lyrical about Seedorf's and Kaka's goal and the one thing I
m sure off is that both of those goal would probably not have happened if Rio had played.

This is Pique's chance to shine and I'm ok not having Vidic and Rio against Roma, but you can sure bet that I'll be having heart attacks when we face the Arse.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I think the lad did really well tonight. he looked very composed and his positional play was very good.

He did MUCH better than Brown would have at CB

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Pique did really well today. He had a quiet game today, but had no major f-ups. The funny thing is that he won the ball really well at times and then gave the ball away. But from a defensive stand point, he was awesome.

His positional play is better than Brown for sure.

I hope he stays and we don;t need to buy a CB. Fergie could rotate him with Vidic and Rion. PLus Evans could come back to fight for a place.

SAF could use his transfer fund for a striker, because I'm campaigning for Hargreaves at RB from now on....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts