Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
pique isn't a vidic, he's more like rio as in he's a footballing cntre half. the thing we lack is a player who who can come in for vidic who is agressive and that can go and attack a ball and compete with the bigger stronger strikers like vidic does. at times i think brown can easily do this as he does it at full back but im not convinced he's comfortable at center half now i think he's found his position at centre back ... talk about standing up and being counted this is when we need a captain figure such as a keane a cantona ... maybe a certain gary nevile ?? C'MON GAZ GET BACK ON THE PITCH SON

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Drew9 said:
pique isn't a vidic, he's more like rio as in he's a footballing cntre half. the thing we lack is a player who who can come in for vidic who is agressive and that can go and attack a ball and compete with the bigger stronger strikers like vidic does. at times i think brown can easily do this as he does it at full back but im not convinced he's comfortable at center half now i think he's found his position at centre back ... talk about standing up and being counted this is when we need a captain figure such as a keane a cantona ... maybe a certain gary nevile ?? C'MON GAZ GET BACK ON THE PITCH SON

found his position at full back ****

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I think Fergie SHOULD have given him more games.

It would have given the yung man a chance to prove himself and get some minutes on the board. However, there;s never a better time to prove yourself than when the chips are down.

This opportunity can work for or against Pique.

Now, he won't be partnering the regular colossal players Vidic or Ferdinand therefore it will be tougher for him to do a good job, BUT if he can play with the positional sense that we know he possesses than he will gain Fergie's trust and thrust his name into contention for a starting place.

Not to mention win over a few fans in the process. ; )

In a way the next two weeks will be a real test of character for the club and its staff.
Chelsea had a similar test at the beginning of the season and have done, very very well (albeit with millions of rubels worth of backing) to come through those testing months.

I guess now it's our turn to show how good our bench is and how good the reserve coaching staff have done with Pique. It's also a test for the physios to gt the injured back as soon as possible and a test for the squad players to strut their stuff.

If the likes of O'Shea and Park can step up and be counted, we have a very good chance. If they don't, we're in the brown stuff and it will give Fergie and the Glazers plenty to think about in terms of the squad for next season.

In either case we have to get right behind the team and Fergie. It's not the time to moan about who;s not expeienced enough or who;s past it. They're wearing the red and the;re giving us their best and we should be doing the same.

GGMU!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
pique is quality and should be given his chance , he is head and shoulders above people like o shea , i think there would be no shortage of takers, should fergie decide to sell him.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
i'd say..brown on the right, and o'shea with pique in the center:)...brown isn't made for the centre position.we saw what mistake he made at the boro's second goal.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Pique will do just fine. he has scored twice already in the CL this season,
so he is no stranger to games like this. He played against Roma already so
that will help him along also.
Pique played in La Liga last season and was great by all accounts so he will
have the confidence to step up for United. We have these kids for a reason,
and now is his chance and he has to take it.

People were very critical of his mistake against Bolton, in the game we lost....
Yes it was his mistake, but he will learn from it.
He is composed on the ball and is a big, strong, confident young lad and
he will do just fine. Id rather have Rio and Vidic obviously but Pique
will do a good job.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
GeordieMancunian said:
Tbh I don't like Pique, he let in an awful goal at the beginning of the season which was clearly his fault and I don't think he's good enough to play for this club. Period. What we need is a bruiser a hard man defender, Pique is basically a wuss, he's been too used to the sunny climate in Spain and is not what I call a 'hard' defender.

Pique would get injured in a flash in training if Rio and Vida were to tackle him.
That is unfair on him. Everyone makes mistakes, even the best defenders in the world, will have at some stage. He's only 21 so he has plenty of time to grow. He deserves a chance. The more games he gets, the better he'll get and his confidence will grow.

You're being unnecessarily hard on him.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I totaly agree mate. I think Pique done well when he came on against middlesborough and he should be inline for a start with vidic and rio out but i also agree with your other point.- Fergie wont start him

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Drew9 said:
I know that I am going to get a lot of stick for this, but I think we miss Vidic WAY more than we will Rio. If you look at games where either one is out - the back four is simply much more stable with Vidic (without Rio) than it is with Rio (without Vidic).

And unfortunately, Rio seems to be more intent on blaming other players for lapses on defense than figuring out ways to stop them! The two goals that boro scored were right up the middle...would we have had the same defensive blunders with Vidic in there? Something tells me he would have been there to shut them down.

IMHO the goal against bolton may have looked like Pique's mistake, but Rio should have dealt with it. After all, he's supposed to be the big guy back there, isn't he?

Captain eh? He wouldn't be my choice...

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
moondog said:
I know that I am going to get a lot of stick for this, but I think we miss Vidic WAY more than we will Rio. If you look at games where either one is out - the back four is simply much more stable with Vidic (without Rio) than it is with Rio (without Vidic).

And unfortunately, Rio seems to be more intent on blaming other players for lapses on defense than figuring out ways to stop them! The two goals that boro scored were right up the middle...would we have had the same defensive blunders with Vidic in there? Something tells me he would have been there to shut them down.

IMHO the goal against bolton may have looked like Pique's mistake, but Rio should have dealt with it. After all, he's supposed to be the big guy back there, isn't he?

Captain eh? He wouldn't be my choice...
I don't think you;ll get a lot of stick. Maybe just a little : )

Not from me though, I think you're right. Rio needs Vidic a little more than the other way around, BUT they both need each other.

They have formed a very good partnership. Shivers still race down my spine when I think of the 2leg against Milan last season. Vidic had just come back from injury and wasn;t near 100% and was thrust into the deep end without his reliable partner Rio.

The rest to painful to think about. The next day I had to entertain an Italian colleague at a wine bar where the were showing a replay of the game and my colleague was waxing lyrical about Seedorf's and Kaka's goal and the one thing I
m sure off is that both of those goal would probably not have happened if Rio had played.

This is Pique's chance to shine and I'm ok not having Vidic and Rio against Roma, but you can sure bet that I'll be having heart attacks when we face the Arse.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Ya man i think pique deserves his chance. After all he has been playing as the first choice CB for zaragoza.This is an excellent chance for pique to have a run in our first team. If he still ends up in the bench, then i doubt that he would be interested in staying at OT for the next season.

·
23,699 Posts
Pique to seize chance

Source: Sky Sports

Red Devils stopper keen to end frustration
By James Pearson/8th April 2008

Manchester United's Spanish defender Gerard Pique is ready to seize his first-team chance following the weekend injury to Rio Ferdinand.

Pique is likely to start for The Red Devils alongside Wes Brown against Roma on Wednesday with Ferdinand joining Nemanja Vidic on the sidelines last week.

Ferdinand hobbled out of United's 2-2 draw with Middlesbrough, although his loss did not weaken Sir Alex Ferguson's side with Pique impressing off the bench late on.

Former Barcelona youngster Pique has been waiting in the wings for some time for a chance and has no intention of letting this current opportunity to impress slip through his fingers.

"I'm ready," said Pique. "I've waited a long time to get a chance in a game like this. It's what I dreamt of when I left Barcelona.

"It's been frustrating because the manager told me in the summer that I would figure in his plans but Rio and Vida have been playing so well that I haven't had a chance.

"We are more mature as a team this season. People said we struggled last year when Rio and Vida were injured and we were knocked out of the Champions League by Milan but I think we are stronger now."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pique deserves his chance , he had a good season last year out on loan and fergie turned down a few offers to give him a chance with the first team.He was steady in the few chances to play he's had , he got dropped after a mistake which cost a goal but i can remember more players who made worse mistakes and continued to start.
It's time to give him a break and see how good he really is........

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
gudge7685 said:
Pique deserves his chance , he had a good season last year out on loan and fergie turned down a few offers to give him a chance with the first team.He was steady in the few chances to play he's had , he got dropped after a mistake which cost a goal but i can remember more players who made worse mistakes and continued to start.
It's time to give him a break and see how good he really is........

couldnt agree more mate but if he doesnt get a chance now he will be sold in the summer im sure

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
What annoys me is, he was loaned out for 1st team experience. He had a good time at Zargoza, and now he's back and has barely even played.

Then Middlesborough came along, and O'Shea was picked ahead of him. Surely that can't do much for his confidence. He must have wondered just what the hell he has to do to even play.

I fear he'll leave if this carries on. He's been linked with Athletico Madrid, Juventus and even back home to Barcelona.

No doubt he'll have ambitions to play for Spain in the World Cup Qualifiers and even push for a place in 2010.
He'll never do that, playing a bit part role like he is now.

·
23,699 Posts
Agent plays down Pique exit talk

Source: Tom Adams/Setanta Sports, 09 April 2008

Gerard Pique's agent has told setantasports.com that reports linking his client with Barcelona are wide of the mark and that the young Spaniard is purely focused on matters at Manchester United at present.

Pique joined United as a fresh faced 17-year-old from Barcelona's academy in the summer of 2004 but his career at Old Trafford has not progressed in a similar vein to his former Barca team-mate, Cesc Fabregas, who has made 117 Premier League starts to his 5.

He enjoyed a successful loan spell with Real Zaragoza last season though and there have been suggestions that Barca's sporting director Txiki Beguristain is a fan of the defender despite Pique angering the Catalan club when leaving Spain for England four years ago.

His agent Arturo Canales insists there is ‘nothing' in such rumours though, and that the defender – who may well play in Wednesday night's game against Roma should Rio Ferdinand not be fit – is only focused on making a success of his time at Old Trafford.

“I have seen that in the press too but there is nothing,†Canales told setantasports.com.

“He has one more year left on his contract and the only thing now is to concentrate on the Champions League.

“The only thing is for him to focus and to see if Manchester United can go through.â€

If Pique does step in for Ferdinand then he is unlikely to be fazed by the occasion given he scored one of his two goals in United colours against Roma in the clubs' group stage encounter in December.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I think the lad did really well tonight. he looked very composed and his positional play was very good.

He did MUCH better than Brown would have at CB

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
pique got his chance and i would say he has taken it very well. a composed and classy defender like ferdinand, a more footballer-like defender. he showed occasional lapse in concentration, but he can only get better.
we better hang on to him.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts