youngsters to stay but can you blame them for leaving in the search of
1st team football? They wont learn much sitting on the bench. They need to
be playing week in week out. Dont get me wrong I really hope he stays,
and people like Evans too, but it could be another case of Rossi that they look
for first team football.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Might his comments be a ploy to get more playing time? I hope so, because from what I've seen of Pique, he is a keeper. Perhaps SAF should rotate him into the back four more frequently next season. Vidic and Rio need more rest and more experience for Pique would allay some of the fears we all had recently when it looked like both vid and ferdinand would be out injured.

Lots of competition in the back 4 next year though...

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
moondog said:
Might his comments be a ploy to get more playing time? I hope so, because from what I've seen of Pique, he is a keeper. Perhaps SAF should rotate him into the back four more frequently next season. Vidic and Rio need more rest and more experience for Pique would allay some of the fears we all had recently when it looked like both vid and ferdinand would be out injured.

Lots of competition in the back 4 next year though...
Rotating the back 4 is impossible imo.
Fergie has always gotten success from a stable and settled back 4...
from Parker, Bruce, Pally and Irwin all the way up to Brown, Rio, Vidic and Evra.
He likes playing the same back 4 week in week out unless they are injured
or suspended. As much as I like Pique, he wont get a sniff while Rio and Vidic
are fit.
A central defenders game is based more on concentration and commitment
and they wouldnt get the fatigue of a midfielder for example.
So playing every game should be easy for the centre backs (barring injury obviously)

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
He can always play 2 other postions if called upon.
Sad thing is, if the rumours are true and Barcelona do want him, He's as good as gone. No doubt he'd love to go back home to play for his parent club.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Piqué: I Want To Play Every Week

Source: Goal.com
Manchester United defender Gerard Piqué has revealed that he may have to leave Old Trafford to be guaranteed a starting berth every week. Although his recent run in the first-team has alleviated his immediate short term concerns, the defender has hinted that his future may lie elsewhere.

Sir Alex Ferguson has top-quality cover in every position but his third choice central defender has admitted to being frustrated at having to continually kick his heels on the bench.

Of late, as a result of Nemanja Vidic's injury, the Catalonian has filled the breach at the heart of United's resolute defence. “I was a bit upset, but it seems that something has now changedâ€, he told setantasports.com.

However, his appearances have been extremely limited at Old Trafford, and to date he has played more times for Real Zaragoza (on loan) than he has for his paymasters.

Recently, Piqué has been linked with a return to his native Barcelona but he remains unaware of any concrete offers from the Catalan giants. He said: “I don't know about Barcelona's interest. The Spanish Press know more about those stories than me.â€

Crucially, the 21 year old's long term future is not formally set at Old Trafford, with his current deal expiring next summer.

Of his frustrations, Piqué declared: “I don't know how long I can wait before I play every week,†he said. “This year has been difficult as I want to play more.â€

Piqué has insisted that he has made no decision regarding his future, but admitted that he is mulling over his options; “My contract with United ends in 2009, so I have lenty of time to think.â€

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Had me feeling nervous a few times in the game, but he did well again over all.
I bet his confidence will be high after Sir Alex trusted him enough to start against a very good Arsenal team.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
NateR said:
Had me feeling nervous a few times in the game, but he did well again over all.
I bet his confidence will be high after Sir Alex trusted him enough to start against a very good Arsenal team.

I have to agree some stay passes at times but other than that he has proved he can be the perfect understudy to rio and vidic thats he is happy playing second fiddle

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Pique did really well today. He had a quiet game today, but had no major f-ups. The funny thing is that he won the ball really well at times and then gave the ball away. But from a defensive stand point, he was awesome.

His positional play is better than Brown for sure.

I hope he stays and we don;t need to buy a CB. Fergie could rotate him with Vidic and Rion. PLus Evans could come back to fight for a place.

SAF could use his transfer fund for a striker, because I'm campaigning for Hargreaves at RB from now on....

41 - 56 of 56 Posts