Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lilian Thuram's move to PSG has been blocked at the last moment after the Parisian club discovered the veteran defender has a heart problem.

36 year-old Lilian Thuram was fully expected to be unveiled as PSG's first signing of the summer transfer window this lunchtime, however, French football has been rocked by the news that the centre-back will not make the move from Barcelona.

Medical tests revealed that Thuram has a heart problem, the same one that took his brother's life a few years ago.

Thuram told the assembled press: “I am unfortunately holding this press conference not to confirm my move to PSG but announce that doctors detected a cardiac malformation.

"It seems that it is the same disease that my brother had a few years ago and which cost him his life on a basketball court.â€

The veteran defender will have tests conducted on his body over the course of the next month that will dictate whether he should continue his career.

All indications point to this being a sad end to the career of one of France's all-time greats and one of the best and most successful defenders of his generation, having made his name with Parma and Juventus, as well as winning the World Cup and European Championship with his country in 1998 and 2000 respectively.

Suspicions were first raised that there might have been a problem with the deal on Thursday evening when PSG released a note to the press dictating that Thuram had not completed his move to the club.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
He's had a long and illustrious career. One of the greatest defenders of all time. Cannavaro & Thuram were an impenetrable wall.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
wow this is awful, he's been truely superb but maybe he's had one year too long, and he was found out at the euro's without a doubt, a superb all roud athlete though.

·
Registered
550 Posts
dlan4327 said:
He's had a long and illustrious career. One of the greatest defenders of all time. Cannavaro & Thuram were an impenetrable wall.
Yeah. Was such a pity that Juventus broke apart after the scandal verdict. I liked that team a lot.

·
Registered
96 Posts
theres been a recent player with a heart condition maybe from united, maybe ronaldo he had no heart lol...

being serius just come to me ....Kanu

scholes has asthma
davids has eye condition
john terry blind in one eye

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
sad to hear, a great player on his day. i hope he makes the safest decision, even if it means giving up. the last thing that family, and indeed the world would need, is another premature death, especially because he knows of the risks now.

does anyone know any more about this? i.e. did he have it all through his career or is it something which just develops?

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Many years ago Asa Hartford was moving clubs and a hole in the heart problem was discovered although it had never affected his play. The receiving club decided to continue with the transfer (City to Leeds I think) and he played on successfully, both club and country (Scotland) for a long time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
ye heard its the same problem his brother has/had

time to get the slippers out mucker you aint got nothing left to prove

top pro top man

1 - 14 of 14 Posts