Manchester United Talk banner

Ticket Prices

3K views 47 replies 12 participants last post by  Red Devil 
#1 ·
Everything must reach saturation point with it's price ...

A point where you have made it so expensive - it just wont sell !

So what do you guys think is saturation point for Manchester United tickets out of
interest ?

As I said before, in a league table of ticket prices United are 10th most expensive.

Teams like Reading and Chelsea, Spurs and Portsmouth charge a lot more than
United.

I think you would agree United is the best team to watch right now.

It's quite safe to say Old Trafford is the best stadium by far.

What I mean is, if you go to see United play - you are getting the best of the
best. You have the best players in front of you. You are surrounded by the best
facilities money can buy......

At United you get the best of the best and pay less than the rest.

You have "League Champions Entertainment" at "10th place" prices.

So tell me ...

What is a fair price ?

How much do you think you should pay ?

Bear in mind the salaries alone stand at £100 Million per annum.

This represents 43% of United's income - which is actually quite low considering
United forecast 50% income expenditure for salaries - but that's another story.

Also bear in mind that every football club is a business and they always have
been.

They need cash to operate - obviously - and they must balance the books to
make a profit or go out of existance.

This is not a 'modern phenomenon' that suddenly since Sky TV turned up, or
American owners turned up, all of a sudden football is a business. It always has
been and always will be.

So pretend you are the owner of United - you have to get the very best players
here, or the fans will turn on you.

You have to make the best stadium or they will give you a hard time.

They want the best manager and best coaches.

A new training ground with all the modern hi-tech equipment.

Oh and 1st class flights all over Europe along with penthouse accomodation in
hotels on arrival. The best quality catering and hospitality packages for the
players.

Oh while we're on the subject add on 220 staff inside the stadium to keep it
running smoothly.

You need to give £3 million every year to charity.

Then there are a few extras like security, policing, outside catering, huge
overheads on the stadium from Manchester City Council (councils always punish
business people for taxes ;) ) and God only knows what other expenditure to
keep United at the top where the fans demand they should be.

Don't forget also ... every single one of the above costs will go up and up, year in
year out - as do prices of everything else.

Yes it is expensive isn't it ?

The game has changed over the last 5 years alone, never mind 20, 30 and 50
years !

Time waits for no one.

Times change ... you either keep up with it or you drop by the wayside it's as
simple as that !!

As the owner, having paid all that cash out - can you see your way to just
charging the same price you did back in errmmmm maybe 1980 or 1982 ....

We'd appreciate that thanks ... ;)

See less See more
#27 ·
agreed im used to abit for lenient posting

also none of this goody goody atitude where you cant have ago at man united or else your an idiot

loads of copy and pasting does my head in, cause its not your opinion its nicked, plus its crap anyway

giggs to sunderland..............

BREAKING NEWS

FERGIE SACKED HES GONE TO DERBY

WE HAVE KEVIN KEEGAN

#28 ·
Stephen said:
Yet you go and copy and paste from articles across the board and claim them as your own.

I proved that you copied one from the Start and the Sun about Neville; then another user said you copied something from UWS.

You tell us that to add a source to any copied material, if not then the forum could get into trouble. Fair does if this is true, but why doesn't apply to everyone.

are you a bully to women pick on me stephen stop makin people angry ive been there it gets you noticed but it takes ages to get rid of the stigma be cool and chill out give your view and dont make me or anyone angry

#29 ·
Stephen said:
You just chat shit carly. This admin rights gone to your head.

You copied and paste from website x, paste here with no reference.
I copy from website y, paste here and get told to put a link to an article, otherwise the forum blows up.

It's not that I'm moaning about, it's that it's one rule for one, another for another.

Then you have the Liverpool threads made by yourself yesterday, why delete them? One of the better debates on here for a long while.

Does my head in that this forum has to be so correct in everything. EVERY other forum I am on is so different to these. The admins are lenient and are on a level with the members, only there to make sure the forum is running smothley, and not there to boss people about.

I believe the aim of this forum is to be the best United forum on the net? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Long way to go yet.
Well it's only you that is moaning about it.

Everyone I have explained the copyright stuff to and links/sources etc etc ...
has agreed it's a good idea.

As I already said - we aren't making a firm decision etc etc etc go read it again.

Every member has the right to delete their own threads if they choose to ...

I chose to - and don't need a reason for it either, sorry.

We have a forum here where the members can post any problems or grievance
they may have - and we encourage them to use it ... myself especially - as can be
seen in the thread asking for ideas for the development of this site........but itis
hardly used - nobody has any problems - if they do we make sure it is sorted out
quickly for them.....

it's only you who has the problems.

And you post them all in the middle of a thread that has nothing to do with any of
it !!

Now this one is a waste of time as well......nice !

Oooh I nearly forgot ...

Watch your language please - 1st warning ;)

#30 ·
fazman said:
are you a bully to women pick on me stephen stop makin people angry ive been there it gets you noticed but it takes ages to get rid of the stigma be cool and chill out give your view and dont make me or anyone angry
If you act like a dick then I'll say it.

Carly has made posts which are laughable and I disagree with.
If you or another member made posts of the same nature then I'll reply to them with whatever nature they deserve.

I mean, Giggs to Sunderland.

#32 ·
haggler said:
and rather than let this turn into a slanging match why not delete this one too ?
And every other one on the board!!! :D

Now Carly, this is a thread which deserves closing or deleting. It's way off topic and adds nothing to the forum.

The Liverpool threads yesterday, however, were a good discussion and I was enjoying listening to (or reading :D) everyone else's views. I cannot get my head around why that was posted.

#33 ·
Stephen said:

If you or another member made posts of the same nature then I'll reply to them with whatever nature they deserve.

look you fool not everyone has the same knowledge as others you have to get used to that . I went through the same thing it takes gettin used to not everyone follows footy in and out but they like to chat so they come on here to talk about it .

and if you want to call me a xxck then pm me and we will chat that way

#34 ·
fazman said:
look you fool not everyone has the same knowledge as others you have to get used to that . I went through the same thing it takes gettin used to not everyone follows footy in and out but they like to chat so they come on here to talk about it .

and if you want to call me a xxck then pm me and we will chat that way
Yeah, not saying that though am I?

I haven't said, yeah you called Scholes rubbish so you're not a top red. For example.

It's pure idioticy that I don't get.

#35 ·
Stephen said:

that one could come back and bite you on the botty as keano is turning the mackems into the united retirement home ! i mean if its goos enough for the buck toothed jordan boffer that we know and love as the yorkie bar kid why not giggsy ? another thread i read said giggs was taking his fa coaching badges and utd had offered him role similar to ollies at club so you pay your money and you take your choice i suppose .

#36 ·
i think carly has touched on a subject which some members find abit...erm...tender?!

im not getting involved as its nothing to do with me(nor other members)........SO!!!

BACK ON TOPIC!

ticket prices suck.
like people have said, there will always be more fillings seats at OT with the size of the club!
i don't go that often just a handful of games a season, and it annoys me that it costs what it costs.
which is why i can relate to ST holders who pay all of it up front and then a possibility of paying 6 games upfront for acs is MADNESS!!
im on the waiting list for an ST but im getting a bad feeling about it all......

#37 ·
ok i see some cash earning potential here !!! we have for your delight a catchweight contest . in the red corner we have fighting out of wales via transylvania the beast from the east cccccaaaaaaaaaaaaaarlyyyyy

and in the other red corner hailing from parts unknown he says what he sees the manchester mauler stephen .

ok boys and girls no kneeing in nad sack or funching the lady bits this is a three knockdown fight the bell will not save you . i will manage you both and only take ten per cent of the take . i can get the winner a match up with abo and the loser a job on the railway . ladies an gennnnnelman place your bets

#39 ·
Stephen said:
Yeah, not saying that though am I?

I haven't said, yeah you called Scholes rubbish so you're not a top red. For example.

It's pure idioticy that I don't get.
who the hell gives you the right to say im a top red or not im older than you been to hundreds of games i can have my view . I said I love scholes but he isnt in my strongest eleven anymore my view Im not bothered whether you think im a top red to be honest I dont know u

#41 ·
Red Devil said:
REMEMBER: What you read is not always what was WRITTEN. Verify before attack - always.
Spot on. I've been guilty of that in the past, it's easily done, and unfortunately it's happened on this thread too...

Anyway, as for the topic of ticket prices - I currently try to attend at least 1 game per month. With the cost of the ticket, travel and getting drunk :D it can cost well over £100 for the day out and I can't be doing that too often!

I've been to 8 games this season and that alone will have cost me close to £1000 when I add up all the expenses and I'm still hoping to get to 1 or 2 more games (I've applied for West Ham and Barca).

I've thought about getting a season ticket for the last couple of years but to be totally honest football is not my only passion and buying a season ticket would basically mean giving up the other sporting events I attend and not buying as many computer games, DVD's etc so I've decided to just stick with the One United membership.

#43 ·
fazman said:
who the hell gives you the right to say im a top red or not im older than you been to hundreds of games i can have my view . I said I love scholes but he isnt in my strongest eleven anymore my view Im not bothered whether you think im a top red to be honest I dont know u
Haven't called you a non-top red.

I don't believe in all this top rediness.

I said it as an example to contracdict your previous comment.

I didn't say that you called Scholes rubbish, btw.

#44 ·
Can i just add to this discussion about season tickets. I have been a season ticket holder for 9 years now and i cant see myself renewing next season. This year my ticket cost £722 plus £38 per cup game. Then u have the knockout stage of cl @ between £38 & £48. This is all money united take when they want and if its not in ur account u dont get in league games which u have paid for already They are talkin next year of up to 30% increase u o the math, old trafford is not the same place anymore

#45 ·
silly price rise in current economic climate but they obviously have plenty on a waiting list . the thing seems to be the normal working man will be priced out for the management class . the minute the club stop performing on the field they will be off like a shot and the traditional supporter base will have been alienated .

football was blue collar worker sport but its now white collar .

my days of going regularly are long gone due to shifts and family and finance but its now getting silly when the long standing season ticket holder is being alienated .

why they could not reward loyalty with price capped to inflation is beyond me as gate reciepts should not be only consideration .

trouble is when you tie your colours to the mast you cant swap . its not like mcdonalds burger costing 119 and bk 99p go to burger king and they well know it .

G
#46 ·
Fans' fury over Euro tickets
Paul R Taylor
19/ 4/2008

HEARTBROKEN Manchester United season ticket holders have slammed the club after missing out on tickets for the Champions League semi-final.

All the fans with the one-year passes received letters from the club last week telling them they would not automatically be allocated tickets.

They had expected to keep their Old Trafford seats after being obliged to pay more than £300 for less glamorous cup ties through the club's controversial 'automatic cup scheme'.

But the club has had to provide a number of tickets to European football's governing body Uefa - more than it did for the quarter final tie against Roma.

Also, larger advertising boards, increased press facilities and marketing needs have limited space within the ground, and some full season ticket holders have been relocated as a result.

The fans were invited to apply for other tickets through a ballot system, but only 75 per cent were successful.

Mike Wray, 21, from Dukinfield, said: "This is just a joke. I'm a lifelong supporter of Man United, red through and through.

"I was absolutely mortified and disgusted when I received a letter explaining that I will not get a ticket for the Champions League game against Barcelona - the biggest game of the season.

Compulsory

United's automatic cup scheme makes it compulsory for season ticket holders to buy tickets for all home cup matches. It can add more than £390 to the cost of the most expensive season ticket.

Money is debited from fans' accounts, sometimes only minutes after the draw has been made.

Mike and his brother Gavin, 25, both paid £700 for their season tickets and the club has taken £300 from each of them for cup games.

"Bear in mind, I'm an apprentice engineer and this is a large portion of my salary," said Mike.

"We pay for the League Cup matches, but when it comes to the really big games, we're not allocated tickets.

"I applied through the ballot but didn't get a ticket, neither did my brother.

"I do love this club but I think next year I will be watching my local team Stalybridge instead."

Letter

The letter breaking the bad news, from ticket general manager Steven Hall, says ticket stubs from the Barcelona game will not be needed for any future priority sales.

But some disappointed fans don't believe there is enough give and take by the club.

Simon Royce, 46, from Chorlton, said: "I got to Old Trafford with two friends and we applied for tickets through the ballot after getting the letter but were all unsuccessful.

"We're all very annoyed. I've been going to Old Trafford since 1981 and have been a season ticket holder for two years.

"It has really riled us, because basically our understanding of the auto cup scheme was that we agreed to buy the home cup tickets and we would get a seat for these matches. "On this occasion, it seems to be that we agreed to buy the tickets, but they don't necessarily agree to give us a seat. There's no give and take. "

Legal action

The Manchester United Supporters' Trust (MUST) is considering taking legal action over the automatic cup scheme.

Sean Bones, vice chairman of MUST, said: "The Glazers (the club's owners) can force you to buy League Cup tickets against Coventry, but in the small print, they can also deny you a ticket against Arsenal in the FA Cup or Barcelona. "This has not gone down well with the fans. Personally, I don't think this is the club Sir Matt Busby helped build, where the supporters came first."

A spokesperson for Manchester United said: "Over 75 per cent were successful (in the ballot).

"We have tried to accommodate as many as possible, but it does say in the terms and conditions that cup tickets are not guaranteed.

"We understand the disappointment this will cause. Uefa are entitled to more tickets than the Roma match because it is a semi-final."

The one-year season tickets were introduced two years ago to help tackle waiting lists for full season tickets.

Tickets for fixture are currently available on internet sites, ranging in price from £290 for a seat to £540 including corporate hospitality.

No one from Uefa was available to comment.

.Source, Manchester Evening News.

#47 ·
SALFORD RED said:
They had expected to keep their Old Trafford seats after being obliged to pay more than £300 for less glamorous cup ties through the club's controversial 'automatic cup scheme'.
Its not a family happening at OT. Thanks for the reminder of why I cancelled everything where the club can earn money on me more then they are already. :mad:

#48 ·
Another tip, never use the Megastore. I went in ONCE, with my daughter, to show her around. I asked for a red devil doll to hang in my car.

"Er, we dont sell those"

"Hang on, this is United, The Red Devils"

"Er, but we do not sell Red Devils; but you can have a "fred the Red""

AAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

If anyone out there is looking for a lucrative sideline, selling RED DEVIL dolls outside the ground will earn you mega bucks!!!

(Oh and voodoo dolls of shearer too!" ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.