Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No10: Vince Grella (£4m)
Blackburn were rocked by the loss of David Bentley and Brad Friedel this summer but boss Paul Ince has done some smart business. The arrival of Grella went almost unnoticed last week but the Australia international is expected to bolster the centre midfield, particularly with Tugay on his last legs.

No9: Nicky Shorey (£4m)
As soon as Reading were relegated in May, the England international was always going to be one of the first through the exit. Villa beat off competition from Portsmouth for Shorey and with Wilfred Bouma crocked, the left-back could turn out to be another great signing by Martin O'Neill.

No8: Louis Saha (free)
Following the sale of Andy Johnson to Fulham, Everton's David Moyes desperately needed some power up front. The French striker has proved himself as a player who can lead the line in the Premier League with both Fulham and Manchester United. If fit, could prove the perfect foil for Yakubu.

No7: Giovani Dos Santos (£4.7m)
It was not long ago that Chelsea were weighing up an eight-figure move for the Mexican, so Spurs now look like an early riser at the Christmas sales. Dos Santos is still a raw talent but if boss Juande Ramos can bring the best out of him, Barcelona may rue letting him go.

No6: Brad Friedel (£2.5m)Friedel is in the autumn of his career but Aston Villa would not have paid that sum if they did not expect three more seasons from the keeper. At Blackburn, the American carved out a superb reputation but with a fresh challenge ahead at Villa Park, he could rise even higher.

No5: George Boateng (£1m)
Middlesbrough felt they had seen the best days of Boateng but Premier League new boys Hull did not think twice about snapping him up. The Holland midfielder will offer some invaluable experience at the KC Stadium if they become involved in their expected relegation dogfight.

No4: Jonas Gutierrez (£2.5m)
The Argentina winger has already shown glimpses of his talent at Newcastle — even drawing comparisons with Toon legend David Ginola. Boss Kevin Keegan took advantage after Gutierrez bought out his contract at Real Mallorca and he could bring some overdue joy at St James' Park.

No3: Deco (£8.3m)
Deco was hardly cheap but when you compare his fee to the number of expensive flops at Chelsea and beyond, he may emerge as a sharp piece of business. The Portugal midfielder has already proved himself as a matchwinner at Wigan last month and he has a track record of success.

No2: Mark Schwarzer (free)
When Schwarzer's contract at Middlesbrough was coming to an end, European giants such as Bayern Munich and Roma were sniffing around. Yet, the Australia star opted to head to Fulham, who have been crying out for a top-class keeper. They could have bagged themselves a golden oldie.

No1: Mikael Silvestre (£700,000)
If Silvestre is to succeed at Arsenal, much depends on his fitness. Should the defender stay injury-free, the Gunners will have snapped up a real bargain for their suspect backline. And that would hurt Manchester United boss Alex Ferguson, who saw him as disposable.
Source: The Sun

i dont think saha left for free.. didnt he leave between 7-11 million pounds.??.. anyways silvestre shouldnt be 1 when it comes to bargains.. dos santos should be and tottenham really got lucky for buying him that cheap.. he is an excellent player and will be one of the best in the future.. also louis could easily be PL top goal scorer if he stayed fit for the whole season.. he is a great goal scorer and if staying fit.. everton has got one of the best summer signings for cheap

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cisse (Loan to Sunderland)

If this guy re-produces the form he had at Auxerre he could easily score 20 goals this season.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
How Deco's not number one, I'll never know.

Top 3 signings this summer are,

Deco ---> Chelski
Robinho ---> Citteh
Berbatov ---> United

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
yeah figures are wrong i think.
saha was 1-2m. i think the more games he plays the more we get.

and robinho and berbatov will have to do a hell of a lot to be considered bargains. ats the 2 most expensive british signings, they need to score a fair few goals first.

·
Registered
809 Posts
deco should be number one- i was thinking the other day about this

deco went for 18mil
barry was not allowed to go for 18+finnan
so even if barry was as good as deco, that would mean the fact barry is english adds 10million+

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm not the slightest bit concerned that Silvestre will come back
to haunt Fergie. Injury prone and also prone to making blunders
in defence i think we've done good business in selling him.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Wait.. Saha was free?

Deco was probably the best, I have to admit. Friedel is another good one, although there's not too many years left in him.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Deco in England. In the whole of Europe, I'd have to say Flamini for free would take my delicious piece of coconut cake.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Silvestre should definitely not be number 1 IMO.

Friedel is the best because he gets the team so many points on his own. Also if Gio dos Santos turns into a world class player like he quite easily could, he will prove to be a geatbuy/baragin from spurs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts