Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is a list of fergie's top 10 signings so far

No10: Wayne Rooney (£27m, 2004)
Time will tell how brightly Rooney's star burns at United but he has been superb in his first four years. The striker needs to increase his goal ratio but there can be no complaints about his overall contribution. His fearlessness is his prize asset, underpinned by his fantastic workrate.

No9: Steve Bruce (£800,000, 1987)
Both Bruce and his partner-in-crime Gary Pallister were brilliant acquisitions. But the rugged defender gets the nod on this list because of his added value as a regular scorer, including 19 in one special season. At the back, Bruce was a lionheart — but was amazingly never capped by England.

No8: Rio Ferdinand (£30m, 2002)
The England centre-back took time to settle in at United but he is now one of their finest performers. Ferdinand has blossomed into a rock-solid defender, as well as becoming a leader in Gary Neville's absence. Fergie's best defender since Jaap Stam.

No7: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (£1.5m, 1996)
United's baby-faced assassin may not have been a regular in the starting XI but that takes nothing away from his contribution. His thrilling winner in the 1999 Champions League final was incredible but there was so much more to remember from this ultimate super-sub.

No6: Denis Irwin (£625,000, 1990)
The Irish full-back proved to be an absolute snip in his dozen seasons at Old Trafford. Irwin was a dependable, no-nonsense defender, who rarely slipped up. And with his superb free-kicks — in the era before David Beckham's emergence — he was pretty handy at the other end of the pitch, too.

No5: Ruud van Nistelrooy (£19m, 2001)
The Dutch ace ultimately fell out with Fergie but not before becoming one of the club's legendary hitmen. Van Nistelrooy fired over 150 goals wearing the famous red shirt after recovering from a serious knee injury. Fergie is desperate for a free-scoring striker and may now regret letting this man go.

No4: Cristiano Ronaldo (£12m, 2003)
The wing wizard could surge up this list with a repeat of his sensational form last season. The Portugal ace was unstoppable as United stormed to the Champions League and Premier League crowns — and Fergie has so far resisted his pleas to join Real Madrid.

No3: Eric Cantona (£1.2m, 1992)
This enigmatic Frenchman produced five unforgettable years at Old Trafford. Cantona was one of the most gifted forwards this country has ever seen. His kung-fu attack on a Crystal Palace fan may have damaged his reputation but United supporters were happy to forgive him.

No2: Peter Schmeichel (£550,000, 1991)
United's best ever keeper — and arguably the greatest the game has ever seen. The giant Dane arrived as a relative unknown but became a legend during his eight-year stint. Schmeichel's huge frame filled the goal as strikers homed in and very few got the better of him.

No1: Roy Keane (£3.75m, 1993)
Keane's eventual exit was angry and abrupt but fans will never forget his spell at Old Trafford. The Irish midfielder was not the most technically gifted player but there was no questioning his incredible influence during his dozen years at the club. Brave, intimidating and unrelenting — a phenomenal leader.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
1Cantona
2Ole
3Irwin

Good post.......... thats my three in the order for cheap effective players he has signed

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
saw this artical in the sun u beat me to it lol :D, i must say i agree with keano being the no1 but i think cantona should be no2

so for me
1. keano
2. eric cantona
3. big peter
4. ole

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Wow, a list I pretty much agree with which is strange. Its very similar to my list.
Yeah a good one for sure but..

No 4: After this summer maybe it havent been a super signing. Who knows, maybe he wants another 3 days next summer before he will tell about his future.
What he achieved on the pitch no one, not even I, can take away from him but off the pitch....hm...

Where is Yip-Yap Jaap Stam? In my book he's a super signing. Is it because Fergie got it wrong there and sold him to Italy too soon that wont qualify him on the list? Infact Stam was a good business, didnt we get more for him selling him to Lazio then what we paid PSV? During his time at the club he was a rock.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
schmeical is fergies greatest ever signing by far , he was cheap and in opinion he was the best goalkeeper i ever saw live and i have seen them all

·
Registered
115 Posts
Agreed about Schmeichel. He is probably the best keeper that the Premiership has ever seen, and a top 5 keeper all-time.

I know this may come out of the blue, but what about Van Der Sar? I reckon he deserves a top 10 spot on that list. £2 million for 2 successive Premiership Titles and a Champions League Trophy.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Keane
Cantona
Ole
Bruce
Schmeichel
Ronnie
Ruud

Everyone else cost quite a bit of money so I can't say they were really "super signings" when everyone already knew how quality they were.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
piazza said:
Keane
Cantona
Ole
Bruce
Schmeichel
Ronnie
Ruud

Everyone else cost quite a bit of money so I can't say they were really "super signings" when everyone already knew how quality they were.
I know what you mean but comparing transfer fees from late 80's and early 90's to what we pay now is just not fair.
Remember that when Keane signed for us Forest got the biggest check any UK club ever got before. Compare that to what we paid Spuds for Michael Carrick which not was a transfer fee record. :cool:

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
spellbound said:
I know what you mean but comparing transfer fees from late 80's and early 90's to what we pay now is just not fair.
Remember that when Keane signed for us Forest got the biggest check any UK club ever got before. Compare that to what we paid Spuds for Michael Carrick which not was a transfer fee record. :cool:
Granted but still, he got Keano chaper than Blackburn was going to, They were going to pay 4.75 mil after Dalglish tapped him up.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
piazza said:
Granted but still, he got Keano chaper than Blackburn was going to, They were going to pay 4.75 mil after Dalglish tapped him up.
Thats because Keano wanted to come to United. Thats what he said, he didnt want go move to Rovers.
And the transfer market looked different back then. Now almost every p7ayer seems to have the same agent; GREED!

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
spellbound said:
Thats because Keano wanted to come to United. Thats what he said, he didnt want go move to Rovers.
And the transfer market looked different back then. Now almost every p7ayer seems to have the same agent; GREED!
That's for sure. I take it you've read Keano's book? If so, what's your take on it?

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Pretty much agree with that list in all honesty.

Of course transfer fees are important to great signings, but it doesn't matter how much you pay, as long as they influence the club and the success in some way.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
piazza said:
That's for sure. I take it you've read Keano's book? If so, what's your take on it?
Not the best but the best United related book I read. Around same time I read one of Fergies books and Stam's autobiography too and....well it wasnt the highlight of my life.

Keano told about a few things about him that makes you understand him better. Fun stuff about United and the stars.
An additional chapter in the book I had was about what happened (from his point of view) in Korea/Japan 2002 when Mick McCarthy sent him home. Out of those 3 Keano's is the best one by a mile or two.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
spellbound said:
Not the best but the best United related book I read. Around same time I read one of Fergies books and Stam's autobiography too and....well it wasnt the highlight of my life.

Keano told about a few things about him that makes you understand him better. Fun stuff about United and the stars.
An additional chapter in the book I had was about what happened (from his point of view) in Korea/Japan 2002 when Mick McCarthy sent him home. Out of those 3 Keano's is the best one by a mile or two.
My brother sent me it a month or two ago and mine had the extra chapter and an interview in it as well. By far the best autobiography I've read. Amazing to see someone as blatantly honest and passionate as him and still manage to write an amazing book.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts