Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I felt like it had been awhile since I'd put up a thread since I've finally been making a concerted effort to do well at uni which is more or less going well. :)

Anyhow I decided I'd share my thoughts on what Juande Ramos has been doing down in White Hart Lane.

I remembered a while back I'd written how impressed I was with Tottenham's back line. Buying Woodgate & Hutton on the cheap was impressive.

However I was still skeptical about the team overall. Now I'm a little bit in awe. In fact I'm a lot in awe and kinda frightened.

Giovanni Dos Santos. Luka Modric. David Bentley. Heurelho Gomes (Underrated goalie).

Now normally when a team starts making bul signings you get two good players and a bunch of fillers who go on to have mixed seasons.

All four of those signings above are all good players. Maybe even potentially great players. Summer transfer windows like that are rare.

I'm going to cut straight to the chase. Spurs are now rumored to be inches way from bagging Arshavin. If they do get Arshavin and manage to keep Berbatov...

That's a lot of ifs. IF it all comes together. There are two distinct possibilities. Only two. One leads to glory on an almost unimaginable scale.

The other leads to... well, Leeds.

So like I said, brief. How can they afford all this? Will the books end up balancing out if they sell Berba.

However if they sell Berba they'll only have Bent. Unless they get Arshavin. In which case they'll have Arshavin and Bent.

Two forwards. One with no premiership experince. The other with plenty of premiership experience. On the bench behind Berba & Keane.

If they sell Berba as well, will it negate all the good work done to the midfield and defence?

Ultimately these are the facts. Bentley has experience. Modric & Dos Santos are unknown quantities with potential it must be said.

Gomes is proven. So if they can keep Berbatov. If they can land Arshavin. If King stays fit.

If Jenas and other squad members can finally start pulling their weight. I believe Spurs can finally give us what we've been waiting for.

Competition. Variety. They great beauty that was the Serie A of the 80's & 90's was envied the world over for one thing above others.

You honestly couldn't say who would win the league. Milan, Juventus, Napoli, Lazio, Roma, Inter. They were all in with a shout.

So maybe, just maybe Spurs can introduce some variety. Knock the gunners back into 5th. If they don't go bankrupt.

If they don't lose all their strikers and end up with a solid defence an all star attacking midfield with no one to pass to up front.

So what will happen? If I can figure out how to do a poll will they go bankrupt or will they make us all dream again?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
knock arsenal back to 5th, what if they knock us back to 2nd :p lol.

na on a serious note, good post i enjoyed the read and iv been thinking about this as of late.

i cant see tottenham following in leeds footsteps, what you got to remember leeds went abosultely crazy, they made good signings and rediculous prices. with tottenham, they are making good signings at good prices and they have took some cash in with sales over the summer to so i think it has balanced itself near enough already.

i see it on sky sports news yesterdays. theyv spent out something like 42mil and took back like 37mil. thats what 5 mil differance. they can cover 5 mil through profits from the club as it is. so to say the leeds route would be drastic.

i think to be a dominate force tho they need to keep berba or bring in someone equally as good, ashavin is more of a wayne rooney role i think, behind the front man. with keane and maybe berba gone they need a front man because for me bent wont cut it on the big schale. dos santos is my biggest threat from them. cant wait to see him. wanted us to sign him tbh so much potential.

but for me one more top striker signing and we could be looking at something big down at the lane

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Some lots of ifs up there lol

Nah good thread mate...I was going to talk about Spurs sooner or later but I am glad you made the effort to write that all up :)

Well if there were a team to break into the top four next season, the favorites are clearly Tottenham. They are one of the largest clubs in London and in the past have always had the most number of transfers ins and outs. But the difference this time is that they have a quality winning coach who knows who to buy. He did very well to get a trophy in his first season and I would not be surprised if he really pushed for the FA Cup and defends the League cup and breaks into the top four this coming season because the squad he is making is amazingly talented.

Comparisons to Leeds imo is quite over the top. They are selling as much as they buy so they are balancing the equation. They are known for their massive amounts of transfers so nothing new really. They imo have a better coach who knows how to handel stuff unlike the case of Leeds.

My first team line up for them would be:

-------------Gomes---------------

--Hutton--Woodgate--King--Bale--

--Bentley--Jenas--Modric--Lennon--

--Pavulchenko--Dos Santos--

Do not forget that the transfer of striker Pavulchenko is like 80% done from what I heard and he had an impressive Euro 08 and looks like a class striker and should be a replacement of Berbatov who I think will come to us. Arshavin is apparently being convinced by Pavulchenko to join him so them two will be a deadly partnership up front which will replace the Keane---Berba one they had and them both might not have the EPL experience but one thing they can confirm is that they play well together and know each other very well. Arshavin will be the second striker who will replace Keane and Pavulchenko will be the replacement of Berbatov imo.

For me I would not be surprised if either Arsenal, Liverpoo, or Chelsea drop off and they come in. Last season they were a wonderful attacking team as they proved in the 5-1 win over Arsenal and even vs. Man United but the one thing they could not do is defend and Gomes is a class keeper imo and we should of signed him! He will do them wonders and their new back for of Hutton--Woodgate--King--Bale look great and that new LB Gilberto also looks solid.

Their midfield also look with loads of attacking quality. Modric, Bentley, Jenas, Lennon, Dos Santos all are so creative and are great in attacking. The only thing they need is a class defensive midfielder and someone to replace Carrick and then they will be set imo.

If they secure Pavulchenko and Arshavin they will have a great attack too and they can cope then without Berba and Keane imo. Look out for them!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
hes certainly putting together a good squad , but will they all gel quickly together i doubt it very much , but you never know

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
stretty said:
but will they all gel quickly together i doubt it very much ,
Same here.

I think Ramos has thought of this - hence him going for the 2 Russian teammates to play up front - but there'll be a lot of new faces at WHL next season and it could take them a while to get going.

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
They will be a force next year. Giovanni has been looking very sharp in preseason and if they get arshavin he will be a perfect replacement for Robbie Keane

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sparkic said:

Out of sheer curiosity, how many people here are expecting Dos Santos to play as a central forward?

I'd just assumed that he would play left wing since he's a wide player and Bentley plays on the right.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
sparkic said:
Some lots of ifs up there lol

Nah good thread mate...I was going to talk about Spurs sooner or later but I am glad you made the effort to write that all up :)

Well if there were a team to break into the top four next season, the favorites are clearly Tottenham. They are one of the largest clubs in London and in the past have always had the most number of transfers ins and outs. But the difference this time is that they have a quality winning coach who knows who to buy. He did very well to get a trophy in his first season and I would not be surprised if he really pushed for the FA Cup and defends the League cup and breaks into the top four this coming season because the squad he is making is amazingly talented.

Comparisons to Leeds imo is quite over the top. They are selling as much as they buy so they are balancing the equation. They are known for their massive amounts of transfers so nothing new really. They imo have a better coach who knows how to handel stuff unlike the case of Leeds.

My first team line up for them would be:

Do not forget that the transfer of striker Pavulchenko is like 80% done from what I heard and he had an impressive Euro 08 and looks like a class striker and should be a replacement of Berbatov who I think will come to us. Arshavin is apparently being convinced by Pavulchenko to join him so them two will be a deadly partnership up front which will replace the Keane---Berba one they had and them both might not have the EPL experience but one thing they can confirm is that they play well together and know each other very well. Arshavin will be the second striker who will replace Keane and Pavulchenko will be the replacement of Berbatov imo.

For me I would not be surprised if either Arsenal, Liverpoo, or Chelsea drop off and they come in. Last season they were a wonderful attacking team as they proved in the 5-1 win over Arsenal and even vs. Man United but the one thing they could not do is defend and Gomes is a class keeper imo and we should of signed him! He will do them wonders and their new back for of Hutton--Woodgate--King--Bale look great and that new LB Gilberto also looks solid.

Their midfield also look with loads of attacking quality. Modric, Bentley, Jenas, Lennon, Dos Santos all are so creative and are great in attacking. The only thing they need is a class defensive midfielder and someone to replace Carrick and then they will be set imo.

If they secure Pavulchenko and Arshavin they will have a great attack too and they can cope then without Berba and Keane imo. Look out for them!
they have essien type of player in zokora...they should have bought muntari imo...a great player....i heard from a guy who's friend works at the white hart lane that they are full of depths and that if they fail to clinch a CL spot that their owners would sell the club ...so it seems more like leeds outcome

dlan4327 said:
Out of sheer curiosity, how many people here are expecting Dos Santos to play as a central forward?

I'd just assumed that he would play left wing since he's a wide player and Bentley plays on the right.
he'll be plaing wide attacker imo...he'll be switching places with the other winger in 4-3-3 formation....he was involved in every one of their 5-1 win against leyton

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Definitely top 6 as they would have been last season for a 3rd in succession, had
they had Ramos from the start. Arrogant it may seem, especially to the likes of Everton and Villa but 5th is the very minimum they can settle for after the summer spending and I don’t think even the most biased Toffee or Villain will tell you they think they have better players at their clubs than Spurs, albeit having signed most of them ths summer. The likes of Modric, dos Santos, Bentley, Berbatov, Jenas, Bent, Bale, Gunter, all the CBs and Gomes are head and shoulders above anything any of them have and I know that sounds biased but if Villa and Everton want to argue, lets look at price tags of players in comparison… Gareth Barry and Mikel Arteta are the 2 top players from both sides and Spurs have better in just one team, with Luka Modric. Arshavin is also better than both of these and will, if he joins Spurs, strengthen them even further! That’s not even mentioning the excellent Jamie O’Har, the slick passing of Tom Huddlestone, however, I am not so deluded as to think every single one (except the already proven Bentley) will be a hit in the Premier League as we all know how hard it is to become an established top name in this division.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
keane and berbatov sales will cover cost of transfer activity --- i still think berbatovs old trafford bound i dont want him however . spurs midfield is still lightweight . arshavin looked good in euros then faded like a pikey replica shirt . he is 27 if he was that good he would have shown on radar years ago .

my thoughts are a similar season for them as city had last year --- nice bright start then cold weather and other sides catch them out ...... spurs will be 6th to 9th place . there is nothing there to worry top four

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
I still think that they are a couple years away from threatening to break into the Champions league, though its nice to see a team grabbing for the brass ring for a change. 5th place tops.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Hey dlan,

nice thread and good post, mate!

I've been following the developments at White Heart Lane with great interest too.
It started out with a liking for Keane and Berbatov, so I started looking out for their highlights during the EPL round-up.

Some of the more exciting non-man utd games last season involved Spurs.

Spurs-Villa
Spurs-Chle$ki
Spurs-Arsenal

They really do have good players and are quick moving forward with Aaron Lennon being a particularly tricky player.

I'm quite surprised to see that they are willing to play Lennon on a rotation babsis with the arrival of Bentley, but they have strong squad now with a lot of depth.
The only area they seem light in is the striker's position.

All this should bode well for them then, but I've been watching the pre-season games (due to the lack of any other decent games) and I think it will take a while for them to gel.

The players still have to get used to their team mate's running, as well as movement and adapt to their manager's tactics.

Last season Sven Goran Erickson bought half a team and was off to a flyer, but couldn't stay the course.

It's a long season, but unlike Man City, I reckon Tottenham will get better as the season progresses.

The problem is that they might not break into the top 4. I've watched the scum and the arse and both looked good in pre season.

The bin-dippers have some problems on the wings, but that's why Rafa bought Degen and Dossena, so they can overlap and put in some crosses.

Bottom line is, Tottenham will be a force to be reckoned with, but will not break in to the top 4 unless there are some serious injuries at Arsenal or Liverpool.

Plus the team still has to gel. It's starting to look like a great team though.

With Berbatov

Berbatov - Bent

dos Santos - Modric - Jenas - Bentley

Bale - Woodgate - King - Hutton

Gomes​

With Arshavin and no Berbatov:

Bent

Arshavin

dos Santos - Zakora - Jenas - Bentley

Bale - Woodgate - King - Hutton

Gomes

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Bottom line is, Tottenham will be a force to be reckoned with, but will not break in to the top 4 unless there are some serious injuries at Arsenal or Liverpool.
I think if Arsenal lose Cesc and/or Adebayor then they're done. Probably Gallas too, they really lack depth imo.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
piazza said:
I think if Arsenal lose Cesc and/or Adebayor then they're done. Probably Gallas too, they really lack depth imo.

Good point and I agree mostly.

BUT if they sell those they'd get 70million pounds for them or somewhere above 60 and you can buy the next so-and-so for that kind of money.

The most important man at Arsenal is Wenger. If they lose him they are so ******!

He is the most astute purchaser of talent on the planet. CROoney might disagree with me, but I think Wenger is amazing at buying cheap unknowns and turning them into stars, who can be sold for a lot of money.

Don't forget though that they have Rosicky and Bendtner, who are pretty good players.

They have options though and their fullbacks were voted in the team of the year.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I always said Tottenham would be a team to be reckoned with...and i believe this season they'll step it up even more. Every game we played against them, they sure as hell made it hard for us, even if we did shine through eventually.

They need to hold on to Berbatov and get in another quality striker. I think they'll be pushing Liverpool for the Top 4. I don't see Arsenal slipping up, despite them losing some good players.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Good point and I agree mostly.

BUT if they sell those they'd get 70million pounds for them or somewhere above 60 and you can buy the next so-and-so for that kind of money.

The most important man at Arsenal is Wenger. If they lose him they are so ******!

He is the most astute purchaser of talent on the planet. CROoney might disagree with me, but I think Wenger is amazing at buying cheap unknowns and turning them into stars, who can be sold for a lot of money.

Don't forget though that they have Rosicky and Bendtner, who are pretty good players.

They have options though and their fullbacks were voted in the team of the year.
I wouldn't doubt Real would pay 50 mil. for Cesc, but that'd have to take place early in the summer window, so that they'd have time to buy their replacements, or they'd risk not making Europe, and lose the money that comes with it. I agree with you about Wenger, great purchaser of talent, but as far as managing goes, he sees Fergie in his sleep.

·
Registered
44 Posts
modric, bale, berbatov, bentley, dos santos........where have united been?!?!? i wish spurs the best of luck cos they'll play attractive football and are most likely to knock the scousers out of the champions league!!

1 - 20 of 137 Posts