Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totti: Ballon D'Or Is Fixed!

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=636828

AS Roma talismanic club skipper Francesco Totti has launched a sensational attack at the selection process for the Ballon d'Or award, and says the fact that a player like Raul Gonzalezhas never won the prize proves that it is fixed.

Real Madrid symbol Raul has had a stunning club career, and was a major protagonist in the Merengues Champions League victories from 1998, 2000 and 2002.

Despite also being the all-time top scorer in the Champions League, as well as winning a host of other individual and team honours, Raul has surprisingly never won the coveted Ballon d'Or.

Roma captain Francesco Totti, who has also been repeatedly snubbed in the past, believes it is all a fix.

“I think it's a scandal that such a good player [Raul] who has scored everywhere and won everything has never received the Ballon d'Or,†he roared.

“The fact that a player can score 20 or 30 goals and win the Champions League and the Scudetto but not the Ballon d'Or suggests that it's all pre-decided.

“I think that 2000 was my best chance. It was the year after we won the Scudetto, we did well in the Champions League and could have won it, but I don't know what I had to do to winthe Ballon d'Or.â€

·
has been served
2,949 Posts
Did he say this just before the Roma Madrid game by chance?

Raul is rubbish, cant say what he was like seasons ago but now he is just a fame stealing goal hanger like Inzaghi.

·
Banned
47 Posts
This is a ridiculous thing for Totti to say, he is clearly just bitter that he has never one it. Maybe it has dawned on Franscesco that he will miss out again this year to Ronaldo.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Totti is one of my fav players,but hearing this from him makes me think he's losing his touch on reality.If Raul deserved it,he would have gotten it a long time ago.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Who exactly is Totti saying that the adjuducators discriminate against, himself and Raul Gonzalez or Spanish and Italians in general? ;)

Anyway, I never take much notice in these awards, the fact that Roy Keane never even finished in the top three proves why.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tbh, Raul's quite a good player actually. Well, that's what I think so! ;)

Spanish La Liga: (5) : 1995, 1997, 2001, 2003 and 2007[2]
Spanish Super Cup: (3) : 1997, 2001 and 2003[2]
UEFA Champions League: (3) : 1998, 2000 and 2002[2]
European Super Cup: (1) : 2002[2]

Individual

Pichichi Trophy: : 1999 and 2001[2]
Copa de Su Majestad el Rey Top Scorer: 2003-2004[2]
Spanish Player of the Year: : 1996-97 season[2]
UEFA Club Football Best Forward Award: : 2000, 2001 and 2002
Intercontinental Cup Man of the Match: 1998
IFFHS World Goalgetter: 1999
Spanish outstanding sportsman: 2000
UEFA Champions League Top Scorer: 1999-2000, 2000-2001[2]
Royal Order's gold medal for Sports Merit: 2006[2]
Bronze Boot of Europe: 1999, 2001
FIFA World Player of the Year, Bronze award: 2001[2]
European Footballer of the Year, Silver award: 2001[2]
Best Spanish Sportsman of the Year: 2007[3]

Achievements

Scored the 800th goal in Spain's national team history, March 27, 1999 vs Austria
Scored the 900th goal in Spain's national team history, September 7, 2002 vs Greece
Spanish national team all-time leading scorer with 44 goals.[2]
Most appearances for an outfield player in the Spanish national team with 102[2]
Top active scorer in La Liga[2]
Top UEFA Champions League appearances with 116.[4][2]
UEFA Champions League all-time leading scorer with 61 goals
UEFA all-time leading scorer with 63 goals
2 goals in 3 UEFA Champions League Finals
Highest goal scorer against Atlético Madrid in the history of Real Madrid (11 goals)
Has never been booked in 30 months and has never been sent off at professional level.
7th all-time top scorer in Spanish Primera La Liga (202): 1 Zarra 251, 2 Hugo Sánchez 234, 3 Di Stéfano 227, 4 César 226, 5 Quini 219, 6 Pahíño 210, 7 Raúl 202
2nd all-time top scorer in La Liga with Real Madrid: 1 Di Stéfano 216, 2 Raúl 202

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
you have to consider the great players they were up against is why. No offence to raul, the guy is a great player and when he was younger was world class but he was up against the likes of ronaldo and co. Totti is just bitter, nothing special of a player either.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I think Totti's right about this one. Hate me later, boys and girls, but I for one believe that looking at Raul's achievements, as posted above by RD4L, the list shown there is enough to put almost anyone to shame. To me what's most important is that in his THREE Champions League wins each time he lead from the front, he inspired Madrid to victory. Let's have some perspective Raul has lead Madrid to THREE CL titles. Bayern Munich in the clubs WHOLE HISTORY has FOUR CL titles as does Ajax. Raul as an individual boasts a trophy cabinet that could put several well known football clubs to shame and if he makes clubs look ordinary forget comparing him to most individual footballers. He's more than a player, he's a one man institution. If he doesn't win it it will be one of the great injustices.

·
Banned
9,929 Posts
I think he's just jelous of Ronaldo and Kaka....etc

He knows he's not anywhere near the best now and he's trying to downgrade
the award!

Not very nice Totti! *shakes head*

·
Banned
198 Posts
I think the awards should be broken down, it's unfair to have just 1 award for every single player in the scope of UEFA.

Me'sa feels there should be one for the goal position
1 for the overall defenders position
1 for the midfield positoon and
1 for the striker position

Then, it'd be appropriate to have 1 for overall...

but simple UEFA/Ballon D'Or people don't want to use their brain too much. they'd rather have a single criterion to have 'the best player'. this award means very little in significance, other than it's prestige as a symbolic to be honest. It's have more personal value to it, and in my opinion make the award better, if therte was one for each postion.

If there are further arguments for types of players, then tell 'em to sod off and try make it in the UEFA team of the season or FIFA team of the season..

#Simple as that really.That way all players in every position would have a REALISTIC CHANGE OF INDIVIDUAL (sorry for caps lock, individual awards)

·
Banned
47 Posts
dlan4327 there is no doubting Raul's great record, and that he has been a great player. But that does not mean he should have won the Ballon D'Or. Every year there has been a player that has outshone Raul, players like Rivaldo Zidane Ronaldinho Kaka etc. Raul has been a great goalscorer but he has never been the best player in the world. dlan4327 are you suggesting that Raul should win it this year over Cristiano, are you suggesting that he should of won it last year instead of Kaka? Every year there has been someone better than Raul.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
His just a big sook lmao just because he never got one suddenly it means it is fixed..but I do think that the EPL is always neglected and Blatter being preseident of FIFA does not help...he practically hates the EPL...Ronaldo clearly should of won it imo...if he doesnt get one this year than seriously the Ballon d'or is stuffed!

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
RussianArmy said:
dlan4327 there is no doubting Raul's great record, and that he has been a great player. But that does not mean he should have won the Ballon D'Or. Every year there has been a player that has outshone Raul, players like Rivaldo Zidane Ronaldinho Kaka etc. Raul has been a great goalscorer but he has never been the best player in the world. dlan4327 are you suggesting that Raul should win it this year over Cristiano, are you suggesting that he should of won it last year instead of Kaka? Every year there has been someone better than Raul.
You have it spot on RA. Thats exactly why Raul hasnt got it, despite being a class
player. No way Totti should even be mentioned.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts