Manchester United Talk banner

1401 - 1418 of 1418 Posts

·
In Jones we trust
8,412 Posts
Good, as long as lessons are learned, the learning curve here isn't steep - it's vertical.
Yeah, I think most fans are willing to forgive the new regime for this summer's debacle so long as they learn from it in the future and do not repeat the same mistakes. Tough lesson. But if it puts things right for January and beyond I can accept it.

·
Big Daddy
34,250 Posts
Yeah, I think most fans are willing to forgive the new regime for this summer's debacle so long as they learn from it in the future and do not repeat the same mistakes. Tough lesson. But if it puts things right for January and beyond I can accept it.
At least we are a very good midfielder better off than we were yesterday, that to me is some sort of result. Looks like Moyes was "far from happy with the squad, though doesn't it?"

·
In Jones we trust
8,412 Posts
At least we are a very good midfielder better off than we were yesterday, that to me is some sort of result. Looks like Moyes was "far from happy with the squad, though doesn't it?"

Yeah, I think some people are missing the bigger picture. Yes, I think we'd have all liked to be sat here today with Fellaini, Baines and Herrera. But it didn't happen. Much like losing a game you have to dust yourself off, not dwell on it and move on.

Look at the positives, we signed Fellaini. Now, I'm sure there are a hell of a lot of snarky folks out there who would pour scorn on the signing. Personally I can't see why. Fellaini offers us so many attributes that our squad doesn't have. Firstly the fact that he is physical. He isn't afraid to get stuck in. Which will serve us really well when sides with big, strong midfielders try to bully the likes of Giggs, Cleverley and Anderson off the ball. He is a terrific header of the ball. He is certain to chip in with his fair share of goals and can actually play a bit for a man his size. Lets also remember that having him there from set pieces won't only give us a great target in there. But opposition defenders possibly doubling up on him will leave space for some of our other more underrated threats such as Evra to drift into the box unopposed.

Fellaini is the kind of player that we've been crying out for. The most physical, aggressive midfielder that we've had since Keane. That in of itself isn't enough. I mean, anybody can have a thug in their side. But like I said, Fellaini is an underrated footballer too.

I'm sure the naysayers will be on here ripping the shit out of him the first time he misplaces a pass in the red of United. But I have every confidence that Fellaini will be a big hit. There are some here who seem to be willing him to fail just to be proven right. That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Why anybody would want a player for their club not to succeed just so they can brag about being right is retarded. . . But there's a fair share of retards here.

·
Big Daddy
34,250 Posts
Yeah, I think some people are missing the bigger picture. Yes, I think we'd have all liked to be sat here today with Fellaini, Baines and Herrera. But it didn't happen. Much like losing a game you have to dust yourself off, not dwell on it and move on.

Look at the positives, we signed Fellaini. Now, I'm sure there are a hell of a lot of snarky folks out there who would pour scorn on the signing. Personally I can't see why. Fellaini offers us so many attributes that our squad doesn't have. Firstly the fact that he is physical. He isn't afraid to get stuck in. Which will serve us really well when sides with big, strong midfielders try to bully the likes of Giggs, Cleverley and Anderson off the ball. He is a terrific header of the ball. He is certain to chip in with his fair share of goals and can actually play a bit for a man his size. lets also remember that having him there from set pieces won't only give us a great target in there. But opposition defenders possibly doubling up on him will leave space for some of our other, more underrated threats such as Evra to drift into the box unopposed.

Fellaini is the kind of player that we've been crying out for. The most physical, aggressive midfielder that we've had since Keane. That in of itself isn't enough. I mean, anybody can have a thug in their side. But like I said, Fellaini is an underrated footballer too.

I'm sure the naysayers will be on here ripping the shit out of him the first time he misplaces a pass in the red of United. But I have every confidence that Fellaini will be a big hit. There are some here who seem to be willing him to fail just to be proven right. That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Why anybody would want a player for their club not to succeed just so they can brag about being right is retarded. . . But there's a fair share of retards here.
Yeah, I wonder who he's gonna hit first!! :p Agree totally though.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Well, he can't do more damage in training than what Jones has already done.....

Seriously though, I said some time ago that he would be a valuable acquisition. Not least for his ability at set pieces, both in attack and also in defence. It's possible that he might have been in the right place to stop Sturridge scoring for Liverpool, who knows, but he would have been in the thick of it for sure.

I for one am looking forward to seeing what we get out of him when he has settled into the team, because like Spoonman says, he will create space for players like Evra at corners, to sneak in and have chances to score from......don't forget his winning goal against us at the start of last season!

Still need much more pace and creativity from CM though, but until next transfer window will have to soldier on.....let's hope we are still in the mix then for the title!

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts

·
Never argue with an idiot
2,463 Posts
For all the crap thats peddled, some by myself (it was fun, so sue me) i advice everyone take 5 minutes and read this very excellent article by Dan Taylor. Explains the type of crap United had to go through the window and why we were lead to believe one thing that and having the opposite happen. Also some very interesting insight about Moyes' transfer policy.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/04/manchester-united-ander-herrera-transfer-farce
Very good article! (y)

·
I can't be arsed
4,680 Posts
For all the crap thats peddled, some by myself (it was fun, so sue me) i advice everyone take 5 minutes and read this very excellent article by Dan Taylor. Explains the type of crap United had to go through the window and why we were lead to believe one thing that and having the opposite happen. Also some very interesting insight about Moyes' transfer policy.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/04/manchester-united-ander-herrera-transfer-farce
as the Guardianrevealed last month, Rooney was never going to be allowed to join Chelsea, no matter what the offer. Behind the scenes at Old Trafford, there is frustration that this has largely been overlooked when it has taken up so much time and effort and, in their opinion, could be the difference between United winning the title or not.Rooney's determination to force a transfer, with a proactive agent in Paul Stretford, and Chelsea doing everything they could to push it has been such a major issue at Old Trafford it is estimated to have taken up more than half the time that United's top-level officials have devoted to working on player arrivals and departures.
IOW, Mourinho played United like a fish.
I don't like him, but he is a genius.

United come out as mugs.

·
Never argue with an idiot
2,463 Posts
IOW, Mourinho played United like a fish.
I don't like him, but he is a genius.

United come out as mugs.
United are mugs when they miss out on a transfer
United are mugs when they refuse to sell their best player
Mourinho is a "genius" for failing to get "the only player he is interested in" his words.

We really can't win can we.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,415
Tbf, Daniel Taylor in that article Guardian is towing the company line for United higher management to the tee as much as he can.

Half the time taken by Rooney ? What Bullshit. What was he doing ? Crying in front of Woodward's offices ?

Not interested in Thiago ? Doesn't add up again -

1) His father confirmed contact and many reports even had him visiting manchester.

2) Thiago and both his father confirmed we were scouting him further in the Euro u21's.

3) The reports were floating around for months about our interest in him and even De Gea was courting him jokingly which was all over the press. We never denied our interest like we did 2 times with Ozil rumours. Even after he had moved to Bayern, Moyes didn't say he was not interested either in his lunch meeting with Journos or in the pressers. He just said "i never said we were interested" and also added in the lunch meeting that it was not a huge blow to lose him.

4) If we were not interested in Thiago, why did we move for Fabregas after he had been sold ? Surely should have moved for Cesc from the start.

And as for Herrera again he is sticking to the Woodward company line that we didn't know who the lawyers were and were never willing to pay over 20 million or whatever due to lack of scouting.

Well this when most reports from spain are saying to the contrary now and also goes against the fact that our first bid was reportedly 30 million euros which is more than 20 million pounds to begin with. Andy Mitten also confirmed we had agreed to pay the buyout on phone last day after trying to haggle between 30 and 36 earlier. On the other hand, If we had bid 20 Bilbao wouldn't have even talked to us probably and it's poor research not knowing their policy in the first place.

Also that whole line of not contributing to the first team in 18 months makes little sense. He was hardly a youth purchase at 24 and Phelan confirmed tracking him earlier.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,416
Also as per that article, United followed Herrera for two years, they had concluded he was worth around £20m, but United followed Thiago for three years and did not pay the £20m because he didn't want to take someone else's word about a player he had seen infrequently... :confused:

Most of that article doesn't add up.

·
Hi
7,245 Posts
The main problem was leaving the deals last minute. We could have signed two more players at least. They should have acted quicker and exercised greater common sense.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Brazilian tv has done some reporting on Carlos Henrique Casemiro which has left me even more uneasy about how poorly we handled the transfer window. This kids got bags of talent and is quite frankly what we needed more than anything. He is strong, fast, skillful, and predominantly plays as a defensive minded midfielder that makes surging runs that drive the offense.

1401 - 1418 of 1418 Posts