Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not started a new thread in a while, this is what I have been thinking.

There are signs that this may just need to be a season of transition for United. The desire and expectancy to win every year can actually have a detrimental effect on a the future of a franchise. There are many examples of sports teams actually destroying the future by attempting to win 'just one more title' with a core of aging, but very successful and somewhat complacent players. They have hung on a little too long to what has worked so well in the past. And frankly, you could not blame SAF for doing just that.

Now I am not suggesting that we go in to a rebuilding campaign like l'arse has over the last few years. We do not need to do that.

But there are times when one campaign needs to be sacrificed for the future. IMHO this may be the year to see off the old (Giggsy, Scholesy, Gazza, and yes, Ronaldo) and really embrace the new (Ando, Berba, Tev, Rafael, Manucho...) and allow them to develop as players and, more importantly, emerge as the new team leaders.

We could be completely reloaded and ready for next season.

Comments?

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Decent point mate, but as United fans transitional is a word used very little TBH...

Personally, I don't think theres any need, as we have only made the one signing
nad the base for our team is in place and is strong too. You could also argue that
EVERY season is a transitional season for us and we just do it so well, but the
biggest transition of this club this centuary will simply be the departure of Sir Alex.
Its scary looking outside the rosy box now eh? Fergie leaves, what do we expect
to happen? Just get a new bloke in charge and roll to anoher title? Would be
very nice mind you...:D

This season, theoretically speaking, we should have been through our transition
with Carrick, Tevez, Hargo, Anderson, Nani and others coming in over the last
few seasons, whilst this season its only the Berb.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
God dont say that!! we're not in a transition at all at the moment! that's 5 maybe 10 years away! we were in transiton the season Roy left, Rooney and Ronaldo were starting to make a name for themselves, we had no midfielders!! since then we've been progressing each season... smart signings in vidic and evra, followed by carrick, hargreaves, nani, anderson, tevez, berba etc.. these are long term signings..

I think it will naturally happen this year (if the players u mentioned are good enough) that they will displace the old guard.. I have serious doubts about Nani, but I expect Anderson to shine while Scholesy is out, maybe Possebon (whats the story with his injury??) and Gibson might get a chance as we're very light in the middle at the moment...

I dont think we'll need to sacrifice the league or champions league at all, i think this will be a natural progrssion... and who better to man it than Fergie!

I hope you're wrong about Ronaldo leaving, we'll be lost without him!!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Keano! said:
but the
biggest transition of this club this centuary will simply be the departure of Sir Alex.
very nice mind you.
That is the single scariest thing we can imagine... It wont be pretty! could have to endure a few dry seasons when Fergie goes! Mourinho is the only manager I can see being capable of just walking in and doing well and loving the pressure of emulating the greatest manager ever!

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I do kind of agree with you to an extent, it could be used as like a mini transitional period, as we know Scholes, Giggs and Neville will be well off the pace next season so yeah let Anderson and Rafael gain as much expierience as possible this year so they are senior players by next year. Unfortunately the problem for me is the left wing, as i dont think Nani or Park are anywhere near good enough to step in and replace Giggs so i think next summer we will have to buy a direct replacement for him, hopefully Ashley Young.

But yeah, a transitional period in the sence of a couple of individuals not a team.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
don't think we're in an arsenal type situation as players are coming along at different rates and we have the right blend of experience, players learning their trade and untried youngsters about. only problem i can forsee is if suddenly giggsy, scholes and neville decide to hang up their boots at the same time...even so though united are and have always been able to cope.

·
GET YOUR HEAD OUT THE PUSSY CLOUDS & IN THE GAME
2,659 Posts
Keano! said:
Decent point mate, but as United fans transitional is a word used very little TBH...

Personally, I don't think theres any need, as we have only made the one signing
nad the base for our team is in place and is strong too. You could also argue that
EVERY season is a transitional season for us and we just do it so well, but the
very nice mind you...:D

This season, theoretically speaking, we should have been through our transition
with Carrick, Tevez, Hargo, Anderson, Nani and others coming in over the last
few seasons, whilst this season its only the Berb.
Good points keano!...i have bolded out the bit of txt for one thing...
I really hope & think to my self that when fegie leavesm, Carlos Queiroz will be brought back in and there is some kind of agreement between him and the club that he will be manager!!
I really hope so because carlos was brilliant for us, fergie said he had alot to do with changes last season.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
i dont think you can really say its a transitional season normaly you would have a bad season the one before and did we??? no

to be fair weve had a slow start but were picking up pase im almosst sure that by the end of october well be in a great place and playing attractive good football

i also think that we will see some great thinks from our younger squad players like the da slivas and possibon etc

transitional my arse championship winning me thinks

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I would say its transitional at all. Its pretty much the same double winning
team of last season minus a couple of squad players but with Berbatov in.
Id say it could be the year that we will see a few of the younger players
getting games, like Evans, Poss, Da Silva's and Manucho. As well as players
like Anderson and Nani improving all the time.

Its not transitional cos its essentially the same. Fergie will just be tweaking
a few things here and there, nothing major.
transitional would mean bringing in 5/6 new first teamers and giving them time
to adjust to their new surroundings.
This is NOT happening at OT.
Thanks anyway for the thread. Im sure it will bring about some good discussions.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
No i cant see it been a transitional year, he has got to faze out Neville, Giggs and Scholes but we only one new signing as Jazz said in Berbatov, Anderson and Nani have been here and played a bit last season.

Fergies main thing this season is to retain the CL and be the first ever team and manager ever to do it!! He wants success this season

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think we finished our major transitional period just prior to winning the league two seasons ago. As a few have said on here already, I just think it's just a little tweaking here and there now.

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,076 Posts
Tottenham are in a transitional period! We are just having a tinker with the players available.Nothing drastic is really happening and its very early days.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Rooneys_Temper said:
Tottenham are in a transitional period! We are just having a tinker with the players available.Nothing drastic is really happening and its very early days.

Yeah Spurs are in the early stages and that is a very dangerous period for a manager. As we have seen over previous seasons, the fans and the board get impatient with the up and down results and before you know it somebody gets sacked.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I really can't understand why people are so pessimistic?? Some of the threads
that have been started in the last few weeks would probably fit in better on a
Spurs forum.

No we're not in a transitional season!

We have the same YOUNG squad as last year and have added a top quality
striker to that. Last month the talk was the final piece of the jigsaw is in place
and now we're back to the start.

So where has the pessimistic views all come from?

Our start to the League??
Its the exact same as last year. And we went on to win
it. And whats even different about this year is the other so called top 4 are
slipping points as well. Win our game in hand and we're no more than 3 points off
them. Nothing in the course of the season! Plus the CL was started with a draw
but we should have no difficulty getting through this group and thats when the
serious business starts. So i think people need to look at the bright side rather
than always the bad side!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
haggler said:
you lost me at franchise ---- kfc is a franchise mufc is my club
Sorry haggler - just the Canadian in me coming out - it is what we call all professional sports organizations.

Thank you all for your thoughtful, though not surprising, responses. For those of you that think I am being somewhat negative, you are probably right - at least in the short term.

I have watched every United game so far this season - and I have seen a distinct lack of drive and hunger. This is completely understandable given the successes of the last two seasons. While the CL is always a crap-shoot where fortune can mean so much, the commitment necessary to win the PL three years in a row is staggering for any team, regardless of their talent level. I just don't know whether the leadership in the current squad (scholes, giggs, neville) is up for the challenge. And cr's motivation will always be in question - the effect of his attitude cannot be over-estimated.

We have tremendous potential to be a force in the PL and CL for years to come - with or without cr. I just want us to be in the best position to take advantage of that potential.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
without doubt i think the older players will be fazed out this year and there is still the risk of ronaldo leaving. but most of the squad is looking very solid and should be here for some time ! what utd seem to lack to me is a midfield general who can control the middle and surge forward who will score a few - scholes hasn't got the legs anymore , anderson needs to score , carrick is a ball player not a ball winner and the one i expected to carry the mantle hargreaves is injury plagued.
if utd can find such a player the whole unit would function sweetly , keane ,robson and ince is the type we need but its easier said than done ,in todays game only gerrard and that german midfielder reminds me of that class are there any similar players out there.?

·
23,699 Posts
We just won the Double last season, have the same manager and almost the same squad. So there are hardly any changes to classify this as a transitional season.

Perhaps next or the following season if the old distinguished guards retire for good would we then maybe experience a slight transition as the older heads are no longer physically around to provide experience and as role models. It would also means that the last connection with the Fergie's Fledgings of the 90s' fame is finally broken. Other senior squad members like Rio can provide the experience but I am really not too sure about them as role models. In fact, it is harder and harder to find perfect professional models like Scholes, Gary and Giggs in the modern era.

Of course, the biggest and most dreadful transition would be the eventual departure of Fergie himself. Hope for the best then but be prepared for the worst. We don't even need relegation to find out 'some things'. ;) :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts