Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TEAMtalk's Matt Briggs questions the impact made by Manchester United's record signing - the much-maligned Dimitar Berbatov.

When the Bulgarian signed for United on transfer deadline day in September fans up and down the country and myself included believed the Spurs man was ready-made for Sir Alex Ferguson's side.

But with the season drawing to its climax the striker has failed to hit the dizzy heights that were expected after jumping ship at White Hart Lane.

With youngster Federico Macheda netting a dramatic late winner on his introduction to English football on Sunday, many fans and pundits alike have questioned Berbatov's own impact with the champions.

United's record buy - who is currently in the treatment room with an ankle injury - certainly didn't arrive on the cheap at £30.75million and his languid style has left many fans cold.

The frontman has scored 13 goals in 33 starts this term and while that record is not the worst return, his performances have been criticised for a lack of passion and workrate.

Sir Alex has continued to back Berbatov, but I think it's safe to say the Scot was expecting more from the man he broke the bank for.

The jury is well and truly out on the player, but if he can return and help deliver some silverware at Old Trafford this season then maybe I'll be doffing my hat to the man - who has unbelievably been likened to Eric Cantona.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Good spot Wazza, interesting read. I'd say this may get merged with another Berba thread

It's unfair to compare him to a legend like Cantona and also it's highly unfair to criticize him over the transfer fee. Players dont set the price they are sold for, clubs do.

He's had a decent first season so far, the best of him is yet to come tbh.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
While we know his attitude to going a goal down is highly frustrating. I firmly believe Berbatov has a lot to offer the team, in particular when it comes to breaking down tough defenses. I think we will see the bets of him next season.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
All i want to say is its his first season here with us so please atleast give that man a break for now..judge him next season or the season after. Yes he cost us that much but it doesnt give us the damn good right to expect instant success from him. I'll love it if he managed to come out good somedays, really love it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Well that just begs the question 'how long do we have to wait before he finds his form' ? He's at his peak as a player age wise, he came from another premiership team where he was successful. He's played almost every game for us this season. Its not like he's young, inexperienced, never played in PL. Hes had a season, plenty of games.
Thank God we have Macheda and Welbeck coming through.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Berbatov has turned out to be the wrong signing, there is no point in pretending otherwise. He is lazy and has a bad attitude, he drops too deep and he doesn't have the pace to make runs behind the defence. The only reason people say he gives us something different is because he is tall, well what value is his height and physical presence if he is playing so far away from the goal, how many times has he scored with his head this season? Just imagine what we could of done with the 31 million that we spent on Berbatov, we could of bought Etoo or Huntelaar for ALOT less or used the money towards a superstar striker like Benzema or Villa. Tottenham must be laughing all the way to the bank, they have really screwed us on this transfer. People say we need to give him time, well he will be 29 next season so he doesn't exactly have alot of time. If we wanted another shadow striker we should of bought Arshavin who is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better, the same age and half the price. Why do people think he is suddenly going to stop being lazy and start running around and scoring, he didn't do it in the 2 years he was at Tottenham, why do u think Bayern Munich didn't want to pay 10 million to take him from Leverkusen? Berbatov is not the player that so many people think he is, he is a luxury player who looks good when everything is going well but doesn't turn up on the tough occasions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts