Manchester United Talk banner

Who is most deserving of a spell in the first team?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know The Manc and Jazz will agree with most of what i have to say here as they like to see young players coming through and making a impact!

(1) Alot of people are calling for Van Der Sars head, so should we give Foster a chance?

(2) Paul Scoles was a great player for United, should we give Anderson the chance to prove himself for the first spot!

(3) Giggs will b a United legend forever, should we give Nani his chance instead?

Next year will defo see more Anderson, Foster, Nani but do you think its time this year?

And last but not least JOHNNY EVANS-------conciderably our best young'un to come up the ranks, he is rated very highly by Fergie!
With Vidic suspened can Evans step in? i think he can!
If he doesnt play while our main CB is out then i think he might aswell of headed for Sunderland! He can also play LB

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
VaVaVoom said:
And last but not least JOHNNY EVANS-------conciderably our best younging to come up the ranks, he is rated very highly by Fergie!
If he doesnt play while our main CB is out then i think he might aswell of headed or Sunderland! He can also play LB
I want to see Evans play definitely, if he doesnt go in on Sunday he never will and he should move... Although I expect Brown will play centre half and Gary will play RB... Fergie has to show Evans he has faith in him by putting him into games like Chelsea, it will be good for his development and we may very well need him for big games as the year goes by so we need him to be ready!

Scholes still has a lot to offer
Giggs is on his last legs but can still perform for us but yes we need the younger guys to force the old guard out cos unfortunately we cant have Scholes and giggs forever!!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Ok.... so I won't agree with you, because I'm not The Manc or Jazz :)

Yes, of course I agree.

I'm not worried about Nani and Scholes though. Fergie said after the CL final that Scholesy and Giggsy will be phased out over the next two years and both Nani and Anderson play in those positions.

I'm worried about the young'uns who play in positions, which have more established names in front of them.

Of late, Fergie seems to be unwilling to play/blood younger players unless injuries or selection woes dictate it.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
give Nani a chance he deserves it, we need depth and thats exactly what Nani would give us

Evans is gr8 and hes performance with Northern Ireland is immense, but i don't think he should start versus Chelsea as Brown is more experienced and experience is vital in such big games

Evans Possebon and the Da Silva's should get chance in ucl dry matches
and i think Possebon maybe should get a chance versus Villareal as a sub who comes in after the second half

but Foster :| hes not that good to be our number 1 goalie :rolleyes:

gr8 post VaVaVoom btw

·
Registered
366 Posts
VaVaVoom said:
I know The Manc and Jazz will agree with most of what i have to say here as they like to see young players coming through and making a impact!

(1) Alot of people are calling for Van Der Sars head, so should we give Foster a chance?

(2) Paul Scoles was a great player for United, should we give Anderson the chance to prove himself for the first spot!

(2) Giggs will b a United legend forever, should we give Nani his chance instead?

Next year will defo see more Anderson, Foster, Nani but do you think its time this year?

And last but not least JOHNNY EVANS-------conciderably our best younging to come up the ranks, he is rated very highly by Fergie!
If he doesnt play while our main CB is out then i think he might aswell of headed for Sunderland! He can also play LB
Agreed we all would love to see more of the younger squad players come through and get their chance .
The only problem these days is that most of our rivals all seem to be going for experience in their sides and I dont like tinkering with a winning formula.
As far as the points you have made well Van Da Sar still has what it takes imo to be our no.1 .
Paul Scholes WAS a great player . Paul Scholes is still a great player , Anderson will play as long as he stays free of injury and suspensions . So will Nani , Park and all the squad players .
I cant help feel some people on the forum are losing sight of the fact that we are only 3 league games into our season . There are another 35 to go . We will just have to make up for saturdays loss by beating one of the lower sides like West Ham away that we seem to lose to annually .
We went to Portsmouth and won for the first time in years only 2 weeks ago .
For me the season starts with our home game tomorrow night in the Champs league and away to Chelsea on Sunday.
Cause the last few games I would rather forget performance wise .

·
Banned
292 Posts
abojodeh said:
give Nani a chance he deserves it, we need depth and thats exactly what Nani would give us

Evans is gr8 and hes performance with Northern Ireland is immense, but i don't think he should start versus Chelsea as Brown is more experienced and experience is vital in such big games

Evans Possebon and the Da Silva's should get chance in ucl dry matches
and i think Possebon maybe should get a chance versus Villareal as a sub who comes in after the second half

but Foster :| hes not that good to be our number 1 goalie :rolleyes:

gr8 post VaVaVoom btw

Abo you are wrong, Foster absolutely is good enough to be our number 1 goalie. He is a tremendous all round goalkeeper and he will be the number 1 goalie for both Manchester United and England mark my words.

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
Banana-rama said:
Abo you are wrong, Foster absolutely is good enough to be our number 1 goalie. He is a tremendous all round goalkeeper and he will be the number 1 goalie for both Manchester United and England mark my words.
i agree with ya on that one mate.
foster definitely has the class to step up, fergie has to give the lad a chance though.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i think that foster has to be given his chance because vds has clearly crumbled.
giggs and scholes are true greats but are treading water these days and the younger hungrier players should be used more so.
i know a lot will disagree but age catches up with all of us and its no use being a great player if your always second getting to the ball ,younger fresh legs win every time for me.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
^ I went for Ben Foster too.

All of them are deserving of a prolonged spell in the first team, but he deserves it the most. He was brialliant at Watford and probably could outshine van dis-Saster on current form.

We need a safe pair of hands at the back and Ben Foster can provide them

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Foster is good but again hes not the right man for us
Van Der Star is good now and i don't think Foster will concede less goals than Edwin

i rooted for the most hated player in our team Nani

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
abojodeh said:
Foster is good but again hes not the right man for us
Van Der Star is good now and i don't think Foster will concede less goals than Edwin

i rooted for the most hated player in our team Nani

Most hated player ? :p

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Sownak27 said:
Most hated player ? :p
yeah just read most of the posts about him its all bashing and underrating

and i don't just mean this forum only (not too many Nani haters here) i mean from other forums

just search the internet you will find that Nani is not liked

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I went for Foster.

Simple because I went with the player who I feel can make the biggest impact if they came into the side.

I'm a massive Foster fan. Hes a fantastic all-round keeper, and SHOULD be Man Utd and England keeper in a year or two. I also think that VDS needs to be dropped, if not for Foster but for Tomasz, as his form has been gradually dipping for about a year now, and we need to give someone else a chance imo.

As for Nani, Park should be ahead of Nani in the pecking order, not forgetting you don't know which Nani is going to turn up.

I strongly believe Johnny Evans should come in against Chelsea. I'm also a massive fan of Evans, and think he'll be a fantastic player. However, I'm not so sure Sir Alex will start him, and with Vidic and Ferdinand, another centre-back getting the chance every game is the last thing we need. Mind you, if he comes in against Chelsea and plays fantastically well, we need to question whether putting Vidic back in was the right thing to do.

As for Manucho, I would love to see him get a chance. However, I believe hes still injured, and giving another striker a chance on a regular basis isn't the right thing
to do either. We need to give Berbatov the chance to show us what he can do, and the chance to form a partnership with Rooney or Tevez. If that doesn't go well, then we can easily try Manucho if/when hes fit.

So, Foster for me! :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'd like to see Foster given a chance but I'm not sure Fergie would even play him over TK at the moment :eek:. Granted Edwin hasn't had the best opening to the season and I think if he continues to make the mistakes he has made against Newcastle and Liverpool then Foster or Kuszuzcak may get their chance. Personally I'd prefer it to be Foster.

I'd like to see Nani given his chance as well and I'm sure he will get it. With Nani on one wing and Ronaldo on the other I think we would frighten opposition defences.

Manucho and Evans I don't think will be given a chance yet because of the players in front of them.

I think SAF would chose to play Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov, Ronaldo or Giggs up top instead of Manucho. And likewise he would choose Brown, Evra, Neville, O'Shea and possibly Rafael and Fabio before Evans.

It's a good problem to have for the manager and I'm sure he is excited at the prospect of having four good young talents deperate to show what they can do. It is just down to them to take their opportunity when it comes.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
VaVaVoom said:

(3) Giggs will b a United legend forever, should we give Nani his chance instead?

And last but not least JOHNNY EVANS-------conciderably our best young'un to come up the ranks, he is rated very highly by Fergie!
Nice thread Vava.
Not sure why you mentioned my name at the start :confused: as Im not in
total agreement with you.....

To answer your original points:

(1) Im not calling for Edwin's head. I still believe he is our best keeper and should
be our number 1. I like Foster and rate him but his time as number 1 is still a bit away.

(2) Paul Scholes is STILL a great player. Anderson will get games and has done
a lot in his short United career, but he is still raw and not in the same class as
Scholes yet. His time will come as a regular starter but for me Scholes is still the
man and should play at least every second game. They will be rotated a lot
and injuries will play their part, as we have seen with Carrick.
We still have Hargo, Fletch, Possebon etc that can also play there.

(3) I agree with you here. Giggs is a legend but he wont play every game for
United. He will be more of a squad player this season. Nani drives me insane
but he deserves a chance. he has the pace and potential and he offers us
something different on the left, with his pace and trickery. If he can be half the
player Giggs WAS then he will do fine.
I think out of all the players mentioned in the poll, he will get the most chances.
Whether its deserved or not is another issue, but its obvious we need a firing
Nani more than we need the other options.

Regarding Evans, Im a huge fan, as you may have realised from the thread I
made about him. I hope he gets his chance but Brown or OShea might go in there
instead. Its Fergie's call and I hope he puts his faith in Evans but I wouldnt
be surprised if he went for a different option. Lets not forget its a huge game
with a lot of pressure, even this early on in the season.

TheManc feels a lot more strongly than me about our youngsters getting a chance.
I know he's not the biggest O'Shea fan :p but I can see why he has that view.
Its one of the issues we actually sort of disagree on so dont put me in his bracket again :D

·
Registered
310 Posts
I went for Foster. As i've said before i've been uncertain about VDS since
the end of last season. Last weekend just made me think it even more.
But would like to see all those players play a big part in the campagin
this season.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
manutd004 said:
I went for Foster.

Simple because I went with the player who I feel can make the biggest impact if they came into the side.

I'm a massive Foster fan. Hes a fantastic all-round keeper, and SHOULD be Man Utd and England keeper in a year or two. I also think that VDS needs to be dropped,......

- Me too and he needs to start ahead of Edwin soon. Edwin should be seen as our backup not number 1. too many mistakes since last season.

As for Nani, Park should be ahead of Nani in the pecking order, not forgetting you don't know which Nani is going to turn up.

- I'm a big Park fan, but Nani should be ahead in the pecking order. In years to come he'll offer us more than Park can and in order for that to happen he needs to develop consistence and confidence in his play. Also needs some time to get the uneffective parts of his game out of his system like Ronaldo did.

I strongly believe Johnny Evans should come in against Chelsea. I'm also a massive fan of Evans, and think he'll be a fantastic player.
. Fergie played Pique against Arsenal, so he might give Evans the nod ahead of Brown. I'm praying he does. Wes Brown at CB gives me nightmares. I might switch off the telly if Fergie plays Brown at CB and Nev at RB tonight.

So, Foster for me! :)
p.s. I went for Foster too :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts