Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
oh my god. i just realised the final is on the 21st of may, my 21st birthday. oh please do it. i thought it was a gr8 draw. so important to play 2nd leg at home. i tink we can do it. imagine united v pool champ final on my 21st birthday. imagine if we lost. i would cry. but imagine if we won. i would drink 10000 pints.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Personally, I would prefer that Le'Arse knock out the BinDippers & here's why:

1. So that the bloody Scousers' would end up with a trophyless season
2. The Gooners' would push their squad (the hve the worst strength in depth among the 'Big 4') to their full limit in the 2 remaining competitions & tire themselves out eventually and win nothing too.

;)

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Decent draw i suppose. I'm literally drooling at the prospect of a Man Utd vs Barcelona Semi-Final. What a game that could be.

I'm hoping the Scousers knock out Arsenal. As well as Chelski if they play them. I'd love to have a Man Utd vs Liverpool Final. Ultimate bragging rights forever, If we should defeat them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well it will be a very tough game Roma will be up for it, I hope the atmosphere matches that of last season which was one of the great nights at OT.

And if we manage to get through Barca at home in the 2nd leg of a Champions League game, that could be one of the great OT nights.

Being a United fan at the momment doesn't really get much better, great football and lots of big games.

The draw could help Arsenal in the prem, little travelling and Liverpool will probably rest players in their league game with the gunners.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
This is going to be really tough.

I expect Man Utd to win though. Even with our second team we managed a comfortable draw and the memory of that 7-1 will haunt them.

It will be much tighter than last time though.

I lifted the following from UEFA's site.
Basically, I think Liverpool can beat Arsenal and will meet Chelsea in the semis and I suspect a Barca - Man Utd semin-final will be on the cards.

2007/08 UEFA Champions League quarter-finals
1st leg: 01/02 April
2nd leg: 08/09 April
1 Arsenal FC (ENG) v Liverpool FC (ENG)
2 AS Roma (ITA) v Manchester United FC (ENG)
3 FC Schalke 04 (GER) v FC Barcelona (ESP)
4 Fenerbahçe SK (TUR) v Chelsea FC (ENG)

007/08 UEFA Champions League semi-finals
1st leg: 22/23 April
2nd leg: 29/30 April
1 Winner quarter-final 1 v Winner quarter-final 4
2 Winner quarter-final 3 v Winner quarter-final 2

2007/08 UEFA Champions League final
Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow
Wednesday 21 May
Winner semi-final 2 v Winner semi-final 1

·
23,699 Posts
NateR said:
Decent draw i suppose. I'm literally drooling at the prospect of a Man Utd vs Barcelona Semi-Final. What a game that could be.

I'm hoping the Scousers knock out Arsenal. As well as Chelski if they play them. I'd love to have a Man Utd vs Liverpool Final. Ultimate bragging rights forever, If we should defeat them.
Exceedingly wicked!! :eek: ;) :D :p

G

·
abojodeh said:
nani can bring on style to **** roma and Rooney can score and prove his class of finishing:cool: :D :eek:
You can easily make a post without swearing so please try to do it in future!

I'm reletively pleased with the draw, I'm glad we have the second leg at home
because I think this is always an advantage.

Chelsea and Barcelona both have a bye to the semi's :rolleyes:

Liverpool vs Arsenal is the tie of the round I think, should be a good game
but if Arsenal play well I think Liverpool will be out.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Yes!! I didnt want a english club because I wanted them in the Final and that is exactly what we got! I was hoping for Fener and Schalke and then Roma but its a great draw considering our reserves drew away 1-1 (Love you Pique =p) and we played them so often that we know them inside out. Only danger is Mancini and Totti BUT hargreaves can keep him quiet and Anderson can dominate him like he dominated FAGregas and GAYrad!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Not a bad draw really. We have a good record against Roma with 2 wins, a draw and a loss against them in 2006. They did put out Real Madrid so they shouldn't be underestimated but Real aren't the same side they were in the early 2000's.

I am concerned for the lads who go to Rome, just hope there isn't a repeat of what has happened the last two times we've been over there. But the second leg is at home so I'm sure if anything did kick off over there, our boys would sort it out two weeks later when they come to Manchester.

All in all, quite a good draw. The prospect of facing Barca in the semi finals is great, but let's not think about that just yet.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
scott 4 evra said:
oh my god. i just realised the final is on the 21st of may, my 21st birthday. oh please do it. i thought it was a gr8 draw.
so important to play 2nd leg at home. i tink we can do it. imagine united v pool champ final on my 21st birthday.
imagine if we lost. i would cry. but imagine if we won. i would drink 10000 pints.
Now THAT would be the ultimate present. Whether its a gift or a curse
you will always remember your 21st.

red_devils4life said:
Personally, I would prefer that Le'Arse knock out the BinDippers & here's why:

1. So that the bloody Scousers' would end up with a trophyless season
2. The Gooners' would push their squad (the hve the worst strength in depth among the 'Big 4') to their full limit
in the 2 remaining competitions & tire themselves out eventually and win nothing too.

;)
Agreed rd4l AND number 3-That the Scousers dont improve on their 5 European
trophys. They have got to 2 finals in the last 3 years so they are capable.
I hope Arsenal trounce them. Ill be shouting for Arse in this one 100%

NateR said:
I'm literally drooling at the prospect of a Man Utd vs Barcelona Semi-Final. What a game that could be.
Exactly Ill always remember our game against them in'94 with the Lee
Sharpe goal. That was an unforgettable night and one of my al time fave
United goals.
We will forget about the 4-0 drubbing they gave us though :eek:

-zuco- said:
I'm reletively pleased with the draw, I'm glad we have the second leg at home
because I think this is always an advantage.

Chelsea and Barcelona both have a bye to the semi's :rolleyes:

Liverpool vs Arsenal is the tie of the round I think, should be a good game
but if Arsenal play well I think Liverpool will be out.
Agreed 2nd leg at home is a bonus and if United get through to the final
you can safely say it will be an all English affair. Im delighted that the other
3 Prem clubs are in the other half of the draw. I couldnt have wished for a better
draw. Its most satisfying :)
Only point of concern would be for our travelling fans. We all know about the
stabbings and arrests in recent times. Rome seems to be nasty place for
football fans.
All in all though, extremely pleased with the draw.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Roma Rematch Intrigues Fergie

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=621693

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson had a strong feeling that his side would come up against familiar opposition in the Champions League quarter finals, but although his sixth sense was in tune, his radar was off by a couple hundred kilometres.

While Ferguson fully expected to be paired against an English side, it was Italian capital club Roma that was pulled from the hat.

The clubs have already met four times over the past 12 months, with the English champions famously trouncing Roma 8-3 on aggregate at this stage of the tournament last year.

"It's incredible," said Sir Alex after the draw. "I had a strong feeling that we would draw an English side.

"It's amazing to think that we will have played Roma six times in a year. That makes it an intriguing tie because we know a lot about Roma, but they know a lot about us.

"Away from the football, obviously my biggest concern is the fans," he added, eluding to the nasty scenes that marred last year's match in Rome.

"During the game in Rome this season the security was much improved. But there will be even more fans travelling with us for this match.

"That said, I have a feeling it will be another great European tie."

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
You beat them all to it RD4L ... ;)

So I merged the others into yours
and I removed the duplicates.

So, Roma, what a surprise!!! We play them more than we play Manchester City. I wanted Liverpool; it would have been the easiest of the QF games due to the fact that we have their measure. Any tyeam at this stage is strong, any team capable of winning. Do not get swayed by previous results againsr Roma, this is a new game, things can go wrong, or right! Who the ref is certainly has a major bearing. That Dane Neilsson, does not like United.

As long as, in the next round we do not draw Rapid Exit I am happy!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
AS Roma : Ones To Watch

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=541039&page=1

By now you should be well aware of the threat Roma pose. But just in case you haven't been paying attention, we've picked out five of the Giallorossi's key players ahead of April's Champions League quarter final showdown...

20 Simeone Perrotta
Position Midfielder Age 30 Nationality Italian

The Ashton-under-Lyne-born playmaker's presence are integral to Luciano Spalletti's style and tactics. His pinball-like box-to-box abilities make him a shoe-in for Roma's most important games. Primarily an attacking midfielder linking the central players with the front men, he also assists in defence. The importance of his ability to break up play was felt acutely by the Italian side during last season's 7-1 mauling at OT, which he missed due to suspension.

5 Philippe Mexes
Position Defender Age 25 Nationality French

The linchpin of the back line, Mexes is widely regarded as one of the best defenders in Serie A. His biggest asset is his passion but it often gets him into trouble with referees. Mexes' strength make him a tough and uncompromising, while his telepathic anticipation allows him to break up opposition attacks. If he lives up to his billing, the United strikers are in for a testing time.

30 Alessandro Mancini
Position Winger Age 27 Nationality Brazilian

Roma's equivalent of Cristiano Ronaldo, Mancini is, like the United winger, quick, skilful and with an eye for goal. Critics accuse him of inconsistency, but such is his influence that as long as he's fit he should start. The Brazilian can operate on either flank as well as up front and, if he is in the right mood, is sure to cause problems. He scored against the Reds in the 1-1 Group F match in Rome this season.

14 Ludovic Giuly
Position Midfielder Age 31 Nationality French

Good friends with Patrice Evra from their time together at Monaco, when Giuly arrived at Stadio Olimpico from Barcelona it was widely believed he would play the role of winger. But in Perrotta's absence due to injury during pre-season, the Frenchman adopted a more central role. When Perrotta recovered, Giuly reverted to his more customary role on the flank. A small and nimble player, he possesses exceptional pace that will test United's full-backs. He can also operate up front as an emergency striker when required.

10 Francesco Totti
Position Forward Age 31 Nationality Italian

Talisman, captain and Roma fans' hero, Francesco Totti is widely regarded as one of the most talented players of recent years. A creative, deep-lying striker, Totti is dangerous from set-pieces, possesses the ability to unlock defences with an incisive pass, and is also a significant goalscoring threat. He is yet to register in four games against the Reds. But even after 15 years in the game, his appetite for goal shows no sign of waning. He ended last season as Serie A's top scorer
with 26 goals and is a major threat.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
totally pleased with the draw we have the beating of them and if were gonna play the best then the semi suits me . But surelly now we have to question whether chelsea are paying for these draws its a joke they never get prem teams in the cups and they get the plum draw in champions league smells iffy to me.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
it will be interesting this one......if we win and barca win we get barca....so it is gonna get difficult......im a little worried but i think we will do fine...
hope we perform like we did against newcastle or arsenal in the fa cup......i really want us to perform well....

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
it will not be a 7-1 again as roma are much improved . barca are not as good as they once were but germans will not be a walk in the park for them .

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Has the Champions League draw, tipped the Premier League our way?

The draw for the Champions League was made today, and un-surprisingly,
there was one all English tie. Arsenal will take on Liverpool in the quarter finals
and Chelsea will meet Fenerbache while we will lock horns with 'aul friends,
Roma. Barcelona are set to clash with Schalke in the other tie.

Arsenal are battling for the Premier League title and to be fair, have surprised a lot
of people his season. They have been tipping lately with some poor results
leaving the door ajar for the Champions to sneak through and regain top spot.
Arsenal were given an all English tie and its last years runners-up who they'll
play. Now, Arsenal have a crucial period coming up. In this time span, they will
play these games in this exact order:

Bolton Wanderers (Premier League, The Reebok)
Liverpool (Champions League, The Emrites)
Liverpool (Premier League, The Emrites)
Liverpool (Champions League, Anfield)
Man Utd (Premier League, Old Trafford)

Is there any need for me to really explain? Arsenal will have to rotate between
the Liverpool games and to play all those games in quick succession, will surely
drain Wengers youngsters. Liverpool aren't the easiest team to predict how
they'll play, but you can be sure that they'll put up a stern test against Arsenal in
all games. And after those three draining ties, the Londerers have to muster up
the ability to take on a rampant Manchester United with 76,000 fans roaring them
on. Come on! They're not up to it, are they? Take a look at United's games for the
same time span as the one above:

Aston Villa (Premier League, Old Trafford)
AS Roma (Champions League, Stadio Olimpico)
Middlesbrough (Premier League, The Riverside)
AS Roma (Champions League, Old Trafford)
Arsenal (Premier League, Old Trafford)

Its not easy, of course. When is a visit to the Riverside ever easy? But, you'd take
that any day compared to the one above. I really think Arsenal will be exploited
in these games and the pressure of playing, and travelling will take its toll. And
not forgetting Chelsea who aren't a million miles away from ourselves and
Arsenal. They have a horrific journey to make to Turkey. The atmosphere will be
unbelievable for them there and you never know, Fenerbache nick a goal and stick
eleven behind the ball at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea should prevail and see
themselves through, but again, they won't have it easy. No need to talk about
Liverpool, because if I did, I'd have to talk about Everton, Man City, Aston Villa,
Blackburn.....

So is this the time when we really stick to the top? Will Arsenal crumble completely
and drop points? Will they go through with ease leaving us stunned?

What do you think. To me this draw may have given us the Barclays Premier
League title, provided we keep our concentration and treat teams with the
respect they deserve and do a professional job.

!!VIEWS!!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts