Manchester United Talk banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Arsenal also play Liverpool in the prem at the same time they are playing them in the CL. I would guess Liverpool could well rest and rotate players for the prem match, Arsenal do not have the opportunity so Liverpool could be easier to beat in the prem game as they concentrate on the CL.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Capello Backs Roma Against United

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=622114

England manager Fabio Capello had no split loyalties over whether to support English champions Manchester United or Italian side Roma after the two were drawn together for the quarter-finals of the Champions League.

The bespectacled tactician believes his former club, AS Roma, can “do very well†against Sir Alex Ferguson's high-flying side.

Although Capello only offered few words on the clash, he did provide his customary thought-provoking insight into how Roma's past meeting with the Red Devils, namely last season's 7-0 hammering at Old Trafford, will factor into the tie.

“I maintain that Roma have picked, among the four English clubs still in the competition, the team that will most allow them to play their style of football,†he told RAI Sport.

“The heavy defeat they suffered last year at Old Trafford helped Roma in this Champions League campaign to face opponents with greater concentration.

“I am sure it will be a different Roma and I believe that, playing in a more orderly style, they can do very well.â€

However, another Italian master tactician and former AC Milan manager, Arrigo Sacchi, felt Roma got the short end of the stick.

“Roma picked the strongest team in the draw, but after last season's defeat having to face the Red Devils again could provide the right motivation to get revenge,†said the former Italy and Milan boss.

·
Registered
854 Posts
yes and no. arsenal will certainly struggle and i can see them fading in both competitions. wengers done great with what he's got but they're squad is just not good enough.

chelsea on the other hand got a rather easy draw. i've said all season chelsea will win the league and many people are starting to agree with me now. they're squad is the best in the worlds imo. they have the players to perform in both tournaments and they will breeze through fenerbache thus not affecting their prem season too much. i tink them havin drogba and anelka and us not having a regular goal scorer may cost us in the end i'm afraid.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
The momentum is with United now.Mark you,Roma will be tough to beat this time round,but Arsenal have a stiffer test in the form of Liv'pool.Wenger will be racking his head on team selections and which title will mean the most to him,while our squad is bigger and more talented than last year which will give us the edge we need to press forward and put pressure on Arsenal

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
make no mistakes roma will be a very hard tie...i can see these being very close games.

with the 2nd leg being played at OT i think this gives us the advantage...and i fancy us to score over there and with our defensive record this season we have a great chance of keeping a clean sheet in at least one of the legs

all in all i'm very happy with the draw (both the quaters and semi's) the last thing i wanted was being drawn against an english team and being dragged in to a media circus

·
Banned
198 Posts
If liverpool beat chelsea i won't call them thieves any more [only bin dippers]. chelsea are the bigest threat. if fernerbache play with rigour, assertiveness and full commitment i can see them getting through. Kezmen "i am better than Ruud at scoring goals" i hope will haunt them.

Chelsea look the biggest threat. im banking on their innate ability to fluff the ig games to pull us through byt the nick of it.

peoples, we need a full breakdown of Barcelona and shalke. Barcelona without Messi are stil Ronnie G, Henry Eto'o Iniesta.. need i go on?

I think Shalke can pull a surprise off

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Pizarro: United Revenge Our Destiny

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=622395

Roma midfielder David Pizarro has made it amply clear that the Giallorossi will be out to avenge last year's Champions League exit at the hands of Manchester United.

United sent Roma crashing out of the Champions League last season with a very humiliating 7-1 defeat at Old Trafford, something the Giallorossi can avenge after the two teams were drawn together once again.

Midfielder David Pizarro was in confident mood after the draw, and believes it is their destiny.

“I am loving having the chance to make up for past mistakes and this really is destiny," he said, speaking on the eve of the Serie A clash against Milan.

"We are ready for this occasion, as many of us were actually waiting for it.â€

Of course, the two sides also met in the group stage this year, and the games were a lot closer - an indication of just how much Roma have improved. They held United 1-1 at the Olimpico, and lost 1-0 at Old Trafford despite having held their own.

“The sides know each other pretty well by now," admitted the Chilean. "The most important thing is that everyone in our squad knows that what happened last year can never happen again.

“After that quarter-final we considered our mistakes and have grown a great deal. I think that up until now the results of that process have been evident.â€

He also categorically denied claims from the United camp - as has been in the past - that Roma players begged for mercy after going 6-0 down last year.

“That is completely untrue," he snapped. "I was playing in that game and we never asked anything of anyone. We are disappointed in this attitude, but will take that into consideration as well when it comes to match day.â€

We have another two-and-a-half weeks to go, but it all seems to be boiling up already.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I was thinkin this, because with the Roma game i think we should cruise it whereas the arsenal vs bindippers tie is a different story and it will be a tight affair.
So the answer yes (i hope)!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Roma vs United: History Won't Repeat Itself

Monday 17 March 2008 12:00

Romans generally like their food piping hot but there is one dish best they like served cold: revenge.

Humiliation and elimination at the hands of Manchester United in last season's Champions League has been eating at AS Roma for the last 12 months and now, finally, Luciano Spalletti and his men have a chance to lay that 7-1 annihilation at Old Trafford to rest.

This will be a sixth meeting between the sides in a year, and hope springs eternal in the capital. After the violence that has marred previous clashes, this may not have been the draw UEFA or United fans wanted, but in the cafes in around the centre of the city, the feeling is that the on-field heroics of the Giallorossi will be grabbing the headlines.

Dispatching Real Madrid from the last round has given Roma what it has always wanted: the admiration of Italy and the sole flag career of the tricolour in Europe.

With Inter and AC Milan exiting with nothing more than a whimper, the macho capital has been thrusting out its chest even more. The feeling is that the power balance is finally moving back further south after seven long years.

Spalletti has instilled a steely resilience and work ethic that even that old slave-driver Fabio Capello couldn't get out of his team after they had won the title in 2001.

Saturday's win over Milan was a perfect example of their new-found gladiatorial mood when, after battering the visitors to a standstill, they went behind to Kaka's excellent volley.

Previous Roma sides would have been left on their knees, awaiting the inevitable thumbs down but it's all ‘I am Spartcus' poses around the Olympic stadium these days.

Spalletti could even look along his bench and have confidence in whoever he wanted to throw into the fray. Indeed it was substitutes Mirko Vucinic and Ludovic Guily who grabbed the goals to keep Roma on cloud nine – all they need now is to put city rivals Lazio to the sword on Wednesday to set off a real Roman orgy of self-belief.

There is little chance of history repeating itself for United this time around.

(Source: Gazetto delo Sport)

41 - 51 of 51 Posts