Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getafe-Bayern München (1:1)
Getafe CF will be backed by a full Coliseum Alfonso Pérez when the European debutants welcome FC Bayern München for a UEFA Cup quarter-final tie that is poised at 1-1 thanks to Cosmin Contra's last-minute goal in Bavaria.

Zenit-Bayer (4:1)
FC Zenit St. Petersburg have one foot in the semi-final as they welcome Bayer 04 Leverkusen to the Petrovsky Stadium having won 4-1 at the BayArena in the first leg.

Sporting-Rangers(0:0)
Getting one over a team wearing green and white hoops may have come easily to Rangers FC in their two meetings with Celtic FC this season, yet Sporting Clube de Portugal promise to offer much sterner resistance with a UEFA Cup semi-final place on offer at the José Alvalade on Thursday.

PSV-Fiorentina (1:1)
The ball is in the home side's court as PSV Eindhoven look to seize a UEFA Cup semi-final place after securing a 1-1 draw in the first leg at ACF Fiorentina last week.

I think....Getafe-Bayern München 0-0
Zenit-Bayer 3-1
Sporting-Rangers 1-1
PSV-Fiorentina 2-1

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh...A zenit today plays badly.bayer plays very rudely.A judge does not control a situation...Zenit-bayer 0-1 after the first period

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Getafe are a decent side watched them hold Barca at the weekend but Bayern are the strongest team in the competition and should prevail along with Zenit, Sporting and PSV.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well...zenit went out in uefa cup, but Bayer won....0:1
Russia striker Dmitri Bulykin gives Leverkusen early hope by heading Gonzalo Castro's floated cross to the back post beyond Vyacheslav Malafeev...
Tymoschuk (Zenit) missed the penalty saved by the goalkeeper. René Adler dives low to his right to keep out Anatoliy Tymoschuk's right-footed penalty. =(

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
I have a feeling that Getafe will cause an upset.
Ill also go for Zenit, Psv and Rangers to go through.
3/4 aint bad...
Getafe go through as do Zenit, Fiorentina and Rangers.
They are the 4 teams into the semi's.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I didn't watch the highlights but the Getafe v Bayern match sounded like an incredible game. 4 goals in extra-time is almost unheard of, especially with a side scoring 2 in the first 3 minutes and the other scoring 2 in the last 5. Very unlucky for Getafe - I guess tiredness may have caught up with them.

Well done to Rangers too. Good to see a British side (British when you win, Scottish when you lose :p ) in the semi's.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FC Bayern München defender Martín Demichelis spoke of his relief at emerging from "a strange match" with ten-man Getafe CF to advance to the UEFA Cup semi-finals. Bayern went through on away goals at the Coliseum Alfonso Pérez after the tie finished with an aggregate score of 4-4.

Dramatic ending
"If you're asking me whether we really deserved that, I honestly don't know what to say," Demichelis said after Luca Toni's two late extra-time goals cancelled out those of Getafe's Casquero and Braulio. "The game finished with such a crazy series of incidents. We started so well in Munich last week and Getafe drew level with the last kick of the game. Today, they started by losing a very important player in [Rubén] de la Red but it didn't seem to hurt them so much."

Comeback
The home side had taken the lead in the 44th minute through Cosmin Contra - the Romanian netting for the second time in a week against Bayern - but French international Franck Ribéry levelled late in the second period for the visitors with a volley that sent the tie into extra time. "When we started extra time we were almost immediately two goals down," Demichelis recalled. "Like I said, it was a bizarre series of events, but we managed to pull back level again. Unfortunately one of us had to go out tonight and it was Getafe, even though they did what they had to do very well. But that's football."

Even battle
Stung by questions asking if his team underestimated the side from the Madrid suburbs, the Argentinian responded with a question of his own. "Who said it wasn't going to be difficult? We knew we were up against opponents who were deadly serious in their attempts to qualify. They were a tough team and they showed that. Neither the history of the two teams nor the statistics counted for anything when we took to the field and that's what was proven out there tonight." Bayern, the 1995/96 UEFA Cup winners, will take on FC Zenit St. Petersburg in the semi-finals of the competition on 24 April and 1 May.

Leverkusen 2-4 Zenit 1-4 » 1-0 »
Rangers 2-0 Sporting 0-0 » 2-0 »
Bayern (ag) 4-4 Getafe 1-1 » 3-3 »
Fiorentina 3-1 PSV 1-1 » 2-0 »

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mark van Bommel is doubtful for FC Bayern München's UEFA Cup semi-final first-leg tie on Thursday after fracturing his nose during the club's German Cup win on Saturday against BV Borussia Dortmund.

Extra-time injury
The Dutch midfielder picked up the injury during extra time in Bayern's 2-1 victory after being challenged by Dortmund goalscorer Mladen Petrič. Despite the incident occurring in the 97th minute, the 30-year-old finished the game. However, the club have declared Van Bommel a doubt for the first leg at home to FC Zenit St. Petersburg.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
fazman said:
It would be great for british football if both european trophys were won by two british teams
Rangers?:confused:
No....They are weaker than zenit or Bayern
Uefa cup will win zenit or Bayern....probably Bayern :(

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
dunno much about zenit to be honest....the only player i know of is arshavin.....
dont hink rangers are good enough to beat bayern..this looks like bayerns title i think.....unless they play horribly...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts