Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uefa looks at match-fixing claims

Uefa has given a 96-page report to Interpol alleging that 15 games in a variety of competitions were fixed.
The matches are thought to have been qualifiers for Euro 2008, the Champions League, Uefa Cup and the Intertoto Cup and are not before July 2005.

The BBC's sports news correspondent Nigel Adderley said: "We understand that Uefa's suspicions were based purely on unusual betting patterns.

He added: "It appears that many of the games on the list will be from the early rounds of these competitions which do not contain any really high-profile teams."

The story was reported in German magazine Der Spiegel.

The magazine alleges that the vast majority of clubs involved come from countries in eastern and south-eastern Europe, with Bulgaria, Georgia, Serbia, Croatia and the Baltics among those named.

Graham Bean, the former police officer who used to head up the Football Association's compliance unit, told BBC World Service: "They are exceptionally serious allegations if the stories are correct but they will be extremely difficult to investigate.

This is clearly very serious and potentially one of the most serious things that has happened in world football.

Graham Bean

"Clearly Uefa, for them to pass this report across, do have some evidence of some kind that would suggest has come down the route of betting patterns or individuals rolling over and telling them what they know.

"Nevertheless if that is the case they still need to get corroborative evidence to prove what has supposedly gone on.

"If the evidence is there and football wants to take this on and deal with this properly with the police, then the simple fact is the punishments that should be imposed on any clubs or individuals found guilty should be extremely excessive.

"There is so much money involved now, not only in football but in the betting industry, whereby you can get a bet on anything, it clearly opens it up to corruption if a betting syndicate can drop on the right person.

"I can't remember anything happening on this scale before.

"For something of this magnitude and these type of games then this is clearly very serious and potentially one of the most serious things that has happened in world football."

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Croatia, Serbia - CROoney, Skele - uh oh :eek:

Bulgaria was in Romania's group and we had Lithuania who is Baltic.

Solsk - maybe luck comes for Scotland too, lol - you had one of the Baltics - Latvia, Estonia or someone ?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
Croatia, Serbia - CROoney, Skele - uh oh :eek:

Bulgaria was in Romania's group and we had Lithuania who is Baltic.

Solsk - maybe luck comes for Scotland too, lol - you had one of the Baltics - Latvia, Estonia or someone ?
Eh carly Lithuainia was in Scotlands group :rolleyes:

we beat them 3-1 at Hampden.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Anderson's God said:
Why am I not surprised ..... modern day football is all money not football apart from the real genuine fans!
There's too many people in high positions of power who don't really care about the football, or who have forgotten, and they are just trying to make money......

The fans are the ones who will ultimately suffer in the end.......

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Keano4taoiseach said:
There's too many people in high positions of power who don't really care about the football, or who have forgotten, and they are just trying to make money......

The fans are the ones who will ultimately suffer in the end.......

Exactly, those ones in power are not in for the football but for the money!

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Its very hard to prove these allegations are even true, even if they are blatant.
Its always these betting patterns that cause he uproar and rightly so. Its evidence in itself practically. Lets wait and see what happens. I reckon nothing will but it just adds to the dirty, underhand reputation that some areas in football are getting.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Nothing surprises me, football's many governing bodies are run by men out to make money! Out to destroy football! Clubs and officials alike!

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Its very hard to prove these allegations are even true, even if they are blatant.
Its always these betting patterns that cause he uproar and rightly so. Its evidence in itself practically. Lets wait and see what happens. I reckon nothing will but it just adds to the dirty, underhand reputation that some areas in football are getting.
And it's not just football........

Tennis has also come under heavy fire in the last few months for corruption......

Again it is betting patterns in matches.......Nicolay Davedenko it is said, was fixing matches he was involved in and feigning injury.....

It's been happening in Athletics for years now.....Michelle Smith cheated and Sonia O'Sullivan was cheated....

And don't even get me started on cycling.........if Lance Armstrong is ever found guilty of having taken drugs It will be devestating for sport.......I know there has been allegations but I don't think anythink has been proven at all......

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Keano4taoiseach said:
And it's not just football........

Tennis has also come under heavy fire in the last few months for corruption......

Again it is betting patterns in matches.......Nicolay Davedenko it is said, was fixing matches he was involved in and feigning injury.....

It's been happening in Athletics for years now.....Michelle Smith cheated and Sonia O'Sullivan was cheated....

And don't even get me started on cycling.........if Lance Armstrong is ever found guilty of having taken drugs It will be devestating for sport.......I know there has been allegations but I don't think anythink has been proven at all......

Cycling is trouble, no winner is trusted anymore!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts