Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old argument is back. Should/Could Celtic & Rangers be allowed to join the premiership.

UEFA has been crystal clear on their views of teams playing outside the countries before. A firm no.

However, the Uefa director of communications, William Gaillard, said "We wouldn't take a position on such a proposal"

Everything you needs in the article. I encourage you to give it a read, it has some interesting tidbits.

Interesting factoid I noticed FTA : At the moment, teams relegated to the Championship are given

£11.5m a year for two years because of the lost television income when they drop out of the top

flight and are not promoted back into it.

BBC SPORT | Football | Premier League | Uefa would not veto Old Firm move

·
Banned
16,006 Posts
Doubt this will ever work. As the other scottish clubs would be hugely upset because:

1. The revenue they get from the Old Firm teams visit.
2. The fact why is it just Celtic and Rangers that are allowed join up? Why not Hearts? Motherwell?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
im not a fan of the idea for many reasons. main one being its unfair on scotland. how are they going to get the league to improve if you take out the two biggest clubs?

interesting to hear some views of any scottish boys on the forum?

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
im not a fan of the idea for many reasons. main one being its unfair on scotland. how are they going to get the league to improve if you take out the two biggest clubs?

interesting to hear some views of any scottish boys on the forum?
Gladly :D

I've got pretty mixed views on the Old Firm leaving Scotland if I'm honest. Before I begin, I must say I don't think they should be allowed to move to England. My opinion is based on several reasons, such as I think if they were to play in the Premiership, or a Premiership 2 as is why this has surfaced, it would be very unfair on other English clubs who would miss out for example. I don't know why they in particular are, or should be, entitled to get their own way.

Just a bit of background, the Old Firm are both big clubs. Celtic are the bigger of the two. They have a very big fanbase, and they were the first British club to win the European Cup. They both have very good, and very big, stadiums (Celtic's holds about 60,000 and Rangers' holds about 52,000 or so). They would be able to draw better players (no offence to their current players). The difference in finances between Scotland and the other countries, England in particular, is why the standard of Old Firm player has generally decreased and why they don't perform as well as the past in Europe, so the increase in finances would be massive for them. The move would be a fantastic opportunity for the Old Firm was it to happen, and there is absolutely NO WAY they would turn it down.

The reason why I have mixed views is because their would be a positive outlook and a negative outlook for Scotland, and they cause ifs and buts rather than certainties which obviously causes confusion as to what direction Scottish football would go.

There would be 2 main negatives I can think of right now;

1) Europe - As I said up there, the Old Firms performance in Europe has decreased from the past. Obviously there have been the 2003 UEFA Cup final for Celtic and the 2008 UEFA Cup final for Rangers. The Celtic team who got to the final was, despite the fact it was only 6 years ago, to a much higher standard than the Celtic team of now (Players like Larsson, Hartson, Sutton, Petrov etc) and the Rangers European run was basically based on everyone behind the ball, playing not to lose and hoping to nick a goal at best. Saying that though, they are still our only and best representatives in Europe. If they were to join the English Leagues, they would obviously then be representing the Premiership (or Prem2) so initially the European co-efficiency of Scotland would suffer, and we could end up losing qualifying places for example.

2) Revenue of the Non-Old Firm - The Old Firm are important to the smaller clubs revenue. They don't have massive fanbases, which obviously means no massive mechandise sales, ticket sales, season tickets etc. Some clubs' fans are actually outnumbered when the Old Firm come to visit. Obviously, this would mean that they'd lose out on that revenue.

Not only that, but the SPL would be less lucrative without the Old Firm in Scotland which would cause 2 problems. TV companies would want to pay less for the TV rights which means that the clubs would then get less money than they do now. Setanta are the only company who show the live League games so their reaction would be the most important, but there's also the BBC who buy the SPL highights package as well as Scottish Cup and CIS Cup games, and Sky who buy Scottish Cup games. The 2nd point would be that sponsors could also be more reluctant to invest in the League because of the fact it would be less lucrative.

On the other hand, it could be the breathe of fresh air that Scotland's looking for. No Old Firm would mean an increase in competition between the other clubs, and would give some of the clubs the chance to go for the title rather than just 3rd place, and would mean that more of the "smaller" clubs are able to get into Europe. This could improve the quality of football in the League and increase attendances as fans would be excited at the prospect of their club, or if they're a neutral a new club, challenging and winning the League. It might also force the SFA's hand to reform Scottish football (i.e 2 bigger leagues instead of 4 at the very least.) It would also initially mean, going back to the Old Firm, that the international players that play for Old Firm would be facing better opposition and playing in a higher standard of League which could improve the Scottish national team initially. A positive off the pitch would be the sectarian aspect not being heard during games and the fact the Scottish footballing authorities wouldn't have to worry about it, but that could obviously present itself in England.

Overall though, the Old Firm going to Scotland would be a big risk in terms of the Scottish clubs. If it was guaranteed that they would survive financially, then I would like to see the Old Firm go if they were offered the chance. But it's not guaranteed, so it would be a massive risk. I'm sure you'll see why I'm uncertain.

(P.S - If you want me to try to expand on something or you think I've got something wrong, just let me know ;))

S

·
0 Posts
Stupid idea full stop.

Rangers to Portsmouth for a Tesday night kick off. :rofl:
Portsmouth to Celtic for a 12.30pm kick off on a Sunday.:rofl:
Just two examples.

Scottish teams, Rangers and Celtic to be allowed in ?
What gives them the right to be placed directly into the top flight?

Put Scottish teams into the English Premier League?
It stops being the English Premier League.

Keep Celtic and Rangers in the SCOTTISH PL.
and keep the ENGLISH PL for ENGLISH teams.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Wouldn't want them. Because you can't just go mixing and matching just because they're decent teams. Like why not just draft Lyon in from France aswell?

The only way to do it is either to have a British League or no cross overs at all. Its disrespectful to the Scottish football fans too.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Gladly :D

I've got pretty mixed views on the Old Firm leaving Scotland if I'm honest. Before I begin, I must say I don't think they should be allowed to move to England. My opinion is based on several reasons, such as I think if they were to play in the Premiership, or a Premiership 2 as is why this has surfaced, it would be very unfair on other English clubs who would miss out for example. I don't know why they in particular are, or should be, entitled to get their own way.

Just a bit of background, the Old Firm are both big clubs. Celtic are the bigger of the two. They have a very big fanbase, and they were the first British club to win the European Cup. They both have very good, and very big, stadiums (Celtic's holds about 60,000 and Rangers' holds about 52,000 or so). They would be able to draw better players (no offence to their current players). The difference in finances between Scotland and the other countries, England in particular, is why the standard of Old Firm player has generally decreased and why they don't perform as well as the past in Europe, so the increase in finances would be massive for them. The move would be a fantastic opportunity for the Old Firm was it to happen, and there is absolutely NO WAY they would turn it down.

The reason why I have mixed views is because their would be a positive outlook and a negative outlook for Scotland, and they cause ifs and buts rather than certainties which obviously causes confusion as to what direction Scottish football would go.

There would be 2 main negatives I can think of right now;

1) Europe - As I said up there, the Old Firms performance in Europe has decreased from the past. Obviously there have been the 2003 UEFA Cup final for Celtic and the 2008 UEFA Cup final for Rangers. The Celtic team who got to the final was, despite the fact it was only 6 years ago, to a much higher standard than the Celtic team of now (Players like Larsson, Hartson, Sutton, Petrov etc) and the Rangers European run was basically based on everyone behind the ball, playing not to lose and hoping to nick a goal at best. Saying that though, they are still our only and best representatives in Europe. If they were to join the English Leagues, they would obviously then be representing the Premiership (or Prem2) so initially the European co-efficiency of Scotland would suffer, and we could end up losing qualifying places for example.

2) Revenue of the Non-Old Firm - The Old Firm are important to the smaller clubs revenue. They don't have massive fanbases, which obviously means no massive mechandise sales, ticket sales, season tickets etc. Some clubs' fans are actually outnumbered when the Old Firm come to visit. Obviously, this would mean that they'd lose out on that revenue.

Not only that, but the SPL would be less lucrative without the Old Firm in Scotland which would cause 2 problems. TV companies would want to pay less for the TV rights which means that the clubs would then get less money than they do now. Setanta are the only company who show the live League games so their reaction would be the most important, but there's also the BBC who buy the SPL highights package as well as Scottish Cup and CIS Cup games, and Sky who buy Scottish Cup games. The 2nd point would be that sponsors could also be more reluctant to invest in the League because of the fact it would be less lucrative.

On the other hand, it could be the breathe of fresh air that Scotland's looking for. No Old Firm would mean an increase in competition between the other clubs, and would give some of the clubs the chance to go for the title rather than just 3rd place, and would mean that more of the "smaller" clubs are able to get into Europe. This could improve the quality of football in the League and increase attendances as fans would be excited at the prospect of their club, or if they're a neutral a new club, challenging and winning the League. It might also force the SFA's hand to reform Scottish football (i.e 2 bigger leagues instead of 4 at the very least.) It would also initially mean, going back to the Old Firm, that the international players that play for Old Firm would be facing better opposition and playing in a higher standard of League which could improve the Scottish national team initially. A positive off the pitch would be the sectarian aspect not being heard during games and the fact the Scottish footballing authorities wouldn't have to worry about it, but that could obviously present itself in England.

Overall though, the Old Firm going to Scotland would be a big risk in terms of the Scottish clubs. If it was guaranteed that they would survive financially, then I would like to see the Old Firm go if they were offered the chance. But it's not guaranteed, so it would be a massive risk. I'm sure you'll see why I'm uncertain.

(P.S - If you want me to try to expand on something or you think I've got something wrong, just let me know ;))
good observation. i think as salford makes a good few points there. do you really think celtic could compete in the premier league im excluding rangers in that statement because i think they would struggle a lot more. celtic used to remind me of aston villa a few years back but now i think they are on a much lower level.

and plus the traveling is a massive point. but derby to swansea/cardiff gets done.

what is the difference really of the welsh teams and the scottish teams being involved. i mean i understand the welsh league is dyer compared to most but its on that statement they are considering the scottish switch.

·
There is no Noxiousd, only ZUUL
16,031 Posts
Stupid idea full stop.

Rangers to Portsmouth for a Tesday night kick off. :rofl:
Portsmouth to Celtic for a 12.30pm kick off on a Sunday.:rofl:
Just two examples.

Scottish teams, Rangers and Celtic to be allowed in ?
What gives them the right to be placed directly into the top flight?

Put Scottish teams into the English Premier League?
It stops being the English Premier League.

Keep Celtic and Rangers in the SCOTTISH PL.
and keep the ENGLISH PL for ENGLISH teams.
You do realise both Cardiff and Swansea are Welsh?

If Welsh teams are in then why not, i couldn't see them getting into the top half of the league though

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

If Welsh teams are in then why not, i couldn't see them getting into the top half of the league though
i agree with ya mate, swansea and cardiff play in england, and if im not mistaken there in the play offs so one of them cud be a premier league team next year.. as an irish lad im a celtic fan, and i wud like em and rangers to play in england becuz be honest scottish football is crap, you look at the top goal scorers, kris boyd 25+ goals, he wouldnt get that in england, better teams, celtic and rangers run away with the league every year, if they have to they cud make into a british league but i doubt the big four would agree because it means they'll lose out in money so to will clubs in mid table like west ham, fulham etc....

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
I'd be happy if they did, that way they'll stop qualifying for
the CL and some random Eastern European team that, frankly,
I care more about, can take their place.

It's old news, huff-puff and irrelevant to anybody that doesn't
live in Glasgow.

S

·
0 Posts

Well i never, whatever will i learn next. :rofl:

The reason they are in the English league is because the teams were created before the formation of a actual Welsh league (ie like today).

Wrexham, Cardiff and Swansea were always in the English leagues, along with Newport County
(Blue Square South) so when they created the 4th division (Now League 2) they were invited to take part as the better professional non-league teams around.

Like i asked...What gives Celtic or Rangers the right to be placed directly into the top flight?

Anyway it's a no brainer and will not happen.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Money! Money! Money! Must be funny, in a footballers world!!!

Thats all they are after, more and more money. NO!! No!! No!!

Scotland is not England - this is the ENGLISH PREMIER Division, not Scotland, not GB, but England

They cannot have their cake and eat it - If Scotland want their own parliament, their own leagues, their own national side - so be it - but this is England - NO to the old firm or any other haggis hunters!

and bin Swansea and Cardiff too!! :bye2:

·
16,031 Posts
Well i never, whatever will i learn next. :rofl:

The reason they are in the English league is because the teams were created before the formation of a actual Welsh league (ie like today).

Wrexham, Cardiff and Swansea were always in the English leagues, along with Newport County
(Blue Square South) so when they created the 4th division (Now League 2) they were invited to take part as the better professional non-league teams around.

Like i asked...What gives Celtic or Rangers the right to be placed directly into the top flight?

Anyway it's a no brainer and will not happen.
Why not bump the league upto 22 teams for one season? Hence no other team giving a place up?

S

·
0 Posts
Why not bump the league upto 22 teams for one season? Hence no other team giving a place up?
4 more games ? When teams are already complaining of playing too many games in a season
and one of the reasons why it was originally changed from 22 to 20 teams.

Plus they have no right to go straight into the Premier league.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Naw, the reason the Prem was first created was to give the national team more time, in the season, to play. The Prem, originally 20 teams, was supposed to be cut to 18 after 2 years. This never happened because the FA realised they were on to a winner, Sky money etc gave them a bundle each year and they were raking it in, for doing nothing.

So, the planned reason for the creation never took place due to this.

Celtic and Ranger's like remarked above, do not have the right to be placed in the top fligfht, if they want ENGLISH footy, start in the Blue Nose Thingy League or whatever.

·
16,031 Posts
4 more games ? When teams are already complaining of playing too many games in a season
and one of the reasons why it was originally changed from 22 to 20 teams.

Plus they have no right to go straight into the Premier league.
They ARE still playign Champions League football, as good a reason as any to have them in...

Or why not have them play a playoff?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Naw, the reason the Prem was first created was to give the national team more time, in the season, to play. The Prem, originally 20 teams, was supposed to be cut to 18 after 2 years. This never happened because the FA realised they were on to a winner, Sky money etc gave them a bundle each year and they were raking it in, for doing nothing.

So, the planned reason for the creation never took place due to this.

Celtic and Ranger's like remarked above, do not have the right to be placed in the top fligfht, if they want ENGLISH footy, start in the Blue Nose Thingy League or whatever.
but its all but money mate, if the fa thought they cud make more money than what they make now celtic and rangers wud be playin next year, its the big four which will stop the old firm from playin in england, if celtic and rangers move to england the top four will lose some money in tv rights etc.. football is all bout money now days mate...

·
16,031 Posts
Sorry but that does not wash. They ARE Scotland. Without them two, Scottish footy is relatively none existent.
**** Scottish footy, why not have British footy? This would bring more revenue into Glasgow, and more money into both teams, and would help expose Scotland as a whole to more of an audience...

Keep the national team setup and whatnot...

I'd at least be open to exploring the idea...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts