Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Tormund FTW!
1,916 Posts
Konoplyanka and Yarmolenko are the only two Ukrainians who will cause us real problems imo. Both are skillful, quick and intelligent in their play. Can't see our full-backs getting forward too often with them on the pitch, because the space in behind will be utilised.

My score prediction:

Ukraine 1 (Yarmolenko) - England 2 (Walcott , Lampard)

·
In Jones we trust
8,412 Posts
Tougher selection given all the injuries. I'd go with this:

Hart
Walker Jagielka Cahill Baines
Gerrard Carrick Wilshere A.Cole
Walcott
Lambert​

Disciplined performance needed. Ukraine are no great shakes but then neither are England these days. The positive is that England are generally a tough side to beat and all we need is a draw. Defoe is tempting to put up front giuven his greater experience at international level but given the fact that he could quite easily be muscled out of the game and that he isn't well suited to playing as a lone frontman a gamble on the less experienced at this level but bigger more physical Lambert is the best option.

·
Agonising transfer muppet
3,306 Posts
Tougher selection given all the injuries. I'd go with this:

Hart
Walker Jagielka Cahill Baines
Gerrard Carrick Wilshere A.Cole
Walcott
Lambert​

Disciplined performance needed. Ukraine are no great shakes but then neither are England these days. The positive is that England are generally a tough side to beat and all we need is a draw. Defoe is tempting to put up front giuven his greater experience at international level but given the fact that he could quite easily be muscled out of the game and that he isn't well suited to playing as a lone frontman a gamble on the less experienced at this level but bigger more physical Lambert is the best option.
LOL, like Woy would ever drop Gerrard. He's also confirmed that Lampard will start.

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts
I think it'll be a 1-1 draw. Hodgson will be too negative, Milner will play.
I think England will win. Probably 3-1 actually. Ukraine have Yarmolenko, Rakitskyi and some experienced players, but there's no excuses here. England are favorites and should win this.

·
GOAT
6,081 Posts
Roy said that there's only going to one change made and that's for Welbeck so it's bound to be Milner.

Hart
Walker Jagielka Cahill Cole
Wilshere Gerrard Lampard
Walcott Lambert Milner
How James Milner makes the England squad I'll never know.

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts
Roy said that there's only going to one change made and that's for Welbeck so it's bound to be Milner.

Hart
Walker Jagielka Cahill Cole
Wilshere Gerrard Lampard
Walcott Lambert Milner
James Milner is slightly underrated isn't he? :whistle:

·
In Jones we trust
8,412 Posts
LOL, like Woy would ever drop Gerrard. He's also confirmed that Lampard will start.
He's also probably going to play Milner. That's up to him. That's what I would go with from the current squad. I wouldn't play both Gerrard AND Lampard personally. I've put Stevie GBH on the right as I feel Carrick and Wilshere could take care of business in the centre while the Scouse DJ basher would provide better delivery than the likes of Walcott or Milner from the right.

Because he's a "player that puts a shift in" and players like that will always get in the England squad. Not to mention the fact that the level isn't as high as it used to be, I mean when Phil Jagielka is an ever-present in England's first XI you know that the standard has dropped off a bit over the past few years.

·
GOAT
6,081 Posts
He's also probably going to play Milner. That's up to him. That's what I would go with from the current squad. I wouldn't play both Gerrard AND Lampard personally. I've put Stevie GBH on the right as I feel Carrick and Wilshere could take care of business in the centre while the Scouse DJ basher would provide better delivery than the likes of Walcott or Milner from the right.

Because he's a "player that puts a shift in" and players like that will always get in the England squad. Not to mention the fact that the level isn't as high as it used to be, I mean when Phil Jagielka is an ever-present in England's first XI you know that the standard has dropped off a bit over the past few years.
I really don't rate this put an average player in because he puts a shift in. England are up against Ukraine ffs, not Spain. I really don't see why Roy can't work with his wingers like Heynckes did at Bayern and actually play proper wingers and make them work hard defensively. If Heynckes can make Arjen Robben work as hard as he did then I'm sure Roy can do the same with the crop of wingers he has.

James Milner is an average player and everytime he is on the wing he is a waste of space who does literally nothing going forward and can only make a couple tackles during a game. That's about it.

England need to play with actually wingers that pose a threat, not average midfielders that will just track back.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts