Manchester United Talk banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Couldn't give a f**k about this match, and glad that Carrick didn't play -- at least this way, he's fresh for United at the weekend.

·
Juventus fan
17,446 Posts
Couldn't give a f**k about this match, and glad that Carrick didn't play -- at least this way, he's fresh for United at the weekend.
OK but when England win the World Cup with Carrick making no appearances he's not allowed to celebrate or have a picture with the trophy. None at all, not even in the changing rooms.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Let's be honest that was a dreadful performance. The ITV commentators make out it was a well earned point. Barring Konoplianka Ukraine are just plain average so why are we lauding a dismal draw where we are offering nothing going forward. Sure it's not like we or any team can always expect to turn up in Ukraine and win, but the complete negativity in our play is something that i can't tolerate, and apart from against the moldovas and san marinos of this world, it is always the case with englands performances. Moreover we have lampard and Gerrard as our central midfield, so you can be assured of very little dynamism and a lot of predictable long balls that surrender possession. I remember seeing cleverley with one of his first touches lay the ball off to someone in the attacking third and it put their defence on the back foot in a manner which hadn't been seen the whole match.

·
Banned
708 Posts
Never mind the shambles of this last transfer window, we should be having an inquest into whoever scouted and decided to buy Ashley Young - what a load of shite he is.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Moreover we have lampard and Gerrard as our central midfield, so you can be assured of very little dynamism and a lot of predictable long balls that surrender possession.
What baffled me was Gerrard saying before the game that Ukraine come out all guns blazing for the first half hour and then they tire. Our game plan should have been to retain possession and kill the game whilst Ukraine's tails were up, what were Gerrard's first actions? A couple of Hollywood balls that that conceded possession to Ukraine when he identified them at their most dangerous?!?!?!

Things that continue to baffle me about the England setup

1. Playing stars instead of a system
2. Gerrard in the quarter back role
3. Sacrificing Wilshere for Lampard
4. Full backs punting the balls long down the line instead of making simple passes infield
5. Satisfaction from management with playing really badly and getting an OK result
6. A general long ball philosophy

I noticed that Didi Hamman and Gary Lineker have advocated for Carrick in midfield after last nights dire showing.

--------Carrick---------Wilshere--------
-----------------Gerrard-------------------

That midfield can retain possession and carries a balance. We may not like Gerrard as United fans but he has to be accommodated due to his crossing and goal threat. I feel that Cleverley is good for England as he facilitates ball retention but he just misses the cut for me.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
Wilshere and Lampard were both poor. I was calling for Lampard to be replaced by Carrick at half-time and then Wilshere with Cleverley 15 minutes into the 2nd half.

The decision to start Milner on the left proved baffling since Ukraine clearly targeted Walker as our weak link and Walcott offered him little cover. We may as well have started Young/Sterling/Townsend.

When Hodgson brought on Young and moved Milner into the middle I thought Milner would offer some cover for Walker but he was playing just behind Lambert so I didn't really understand that substitution. Then he tried things like moving Walcott to the left, which made no sense because he simply can not play there. I know we lacked options with all the injuries and suspensions but surely we could have utilised the players that were available better.

Ah well, we got the draw we needed to stay top of the group so I shouldn't moan too much. However, I am nervous about the 2 games against Montengro and Poland. Although they are both at Wembley, we have only beaten Moldova and San Marino in this group so far. :cautious:

·
Juventus fan
17,446 Posts
It's only considered a good draw because Rooney, Sturridge, Oxlade, Welbeck were out. You can't go to a place like Ukraine and plan to play a counter attacking game with Milner and Lambert in the side.

Lambert should only play if we're playing Moldova-esque teams at Wembley. Obviously there was little choice last night.

·
http://www.viewsbank.com/referral/777a35d7
1,447 Posts
Really there are a lot of parallels between England and Man Utd currently, we aren't exactly playing exciting football are we and we fail to create clear cut chances even against a 11 man Crystal Palace who will most likely be near the relegation places come end of the season, thank god we have RVP up front something England wish they had but still creating chances is a big problem in midfield.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts