Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, anyone been following this build up to the fight and will anyone be watching Hatton vs Mayweather? Who do you think will win this? What are your thoughts?

As for me, i'm hoping Hatton will win. Sticking with the Englishman.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll forgive him for being a Man City fan, but Mayweather wearing that United shirt...that really pissed me off...

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
It is the most eagerly anticipated fight of the decade and has divided opinion across the boxing fraternity. Can Ricky Hatton's fierce willpower and aggression overcome the silky skills of Floyd Mayweather, the 'best pound-for-pound fighter on the planet'?

skysports.com exclusively canvassed six of Britain and Ireland's finest past and present champions for their views on 'Undefeated'.

Lloyd Honeyghan: Former undisputed world welterweight champion who shook up the world when he claimed the title from Don Curry in Las Vegas in 1986:

"This is going to be a classic between a fighter, in Ricky Hatton, and a boxer, in Floyd Mayweather. It is a tough one to predict, and it is going to be the hardest fight of their careers for both boxers.

"Ricky has a great chance, but he has got to be a British bulldog and cut down the size of the ring.

"He has got to go forward with a lot of lateral movement. If he does that he can keep out of the way of those dangerous Mayweather uppercuts and jabs.

"It's all about lateral movement in some ways I've got the blueprint because that is how I beat Don Curry to take the world welterweight belt."

Michael Watson Former Commonwealth middleweight champion and one-time rival to Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn:

"Ricky can win the fight over the distance. I've seen the expression of Mayweather during the press conferences and he looks worried.

"Ricky has all the capabilities of winning this fight. He is highly determined with great self-belief and has all the ingredients of a Michael Watson.

"That's what I admire about him. Ricky Hatton will win because of his devastating body punching. What do they say? "Kill the body and the head must follow."

Nigel Benn The former world middleweight and super middleweight champion spoke to skysports.com courtesy of SJ Dent and Co sports memorabilia shop:

"I like Ricky, he is a personal friend of mine and he asked me to walk in to the ring carrying his belts for this fight against Mayweather, but I have decided against doing that.

"I love Ricky, but this will be his hardest fight, similar to when I fought Gerald McClennan (in Benn's epic victory against the American in 1995). I certainly wish him all the best and he can win on points, but Mayweather is a slippery character and Ricky will have to watch it."

Steve Collins: Ireland's former world middleweight and world super middleweight champion:

"It might be my heart ruling my head but Ricky can jump on him and stop him early. I don't think Mayweather rates fighters from the UK, but never underestimate the intelligence of Ricky, who is a street wise, clever fighter.

"Don't get me wrong Mayweather is a class act and has got talent but if Ricky stands toe to toe with him he can win.

"Ricky is more like a South American fighter in his style and stopped another South American in his last fight with shots to the body which is virtually unheard by a British fighter. Ricky has to jump on him early to stop him."

Junior Witter Bradford's reigning WBC light welterweight champion:

"I think the first couple of rounds will be tight, before Mayweather will run away with it. It will take Mayweather a couple of rounds to adjust to Hatton's style.

"When you look at the skill level between Mayweather and the skill level of Hatton it is too big a gap, and I think the fight is going to come down to boxing skill.

"Hatton has the heart, stamina and determination but there is no doubt about it when it comes down to skill there is a massive gap.

"Hatton jumped into Kostya Tszyu and Tszyu went into a war with him. I just can't see Mayweather doing that because he never gets that emotional in a fight.

"I also cannot see Hatton getting him into a brawl because he has not got the footwork to pin him in a corner. I see Mayweather winning with a late stoppage."

Carl Froch: Unbeaten British super middleweight champion.

"I honestly think Ricky can pull it off. He was in deep water and I had my doubts when he fought Kostya Tszyu but he triumphed then and I think he can do it again.

"He's a rough fighter and terrific handful. Mayweather faces pressure, pressure, pressure from Ricky and Mayweather likes room to box, so he won't like it one bit."

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
although mayweather is the best pound for pound fighter on the planet...i really believe hatton can and will win this fight.

i don't think mayweather as ever faced any one like hatton before.. the amount of pressure hatton puts on his opponents is unreal... mayweather will make hatton look stupid at times and make him miss but if hatton close down the ring he will win the fight and the self proclaimed pretty boy won't be after this fight.

i really believe floyd mayweather is taking hatton to lightly... prancing about like a clown on dancing with the stars when he as such a big fight ahead of him. whats all that about?

yes he would of trained hard still and he's been fighting mega fights for years so he will be used to the routine and pressure

the 2 of them are both unbelievable fighters and i'm a big fan of both of them...styles make fights and these 2 are so different in and out of the ring it's untrue floyd likes to box fancy in and out and hatton is both a boxer and a brawler and his none stop pressure is what i think will win him the fight

i've been lucky enough to meet hatton loads of times as he lives near me and drinks in a lot of the pubs i go in and he is exactly how you see him on tv he's not flash, cocky, a big head (unlike mayweather) he's so down to earth and just one of the lads

CMON RICKY!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
andycole9 said:
although mayweather is the best pound for pound fighter on the planet...i really believe hatton can and will win this fight.

i don't think mayweather as ever faced any one like hatton before.. the amount of pressure hatton puts on his opponents is unreal... mayweather will make hatton look stupid at times and make him miss but if hatton close down the ring he will win the fight and the self proclaimed pretty boy won't be after this fight.

i really believe floyd mayweather is taking hatton to lightly... prancing about like a clown on dancing with the stars when he as such a big fight ahead of him. whats all that about?

yes he would of trained hard still and he's been fighting mega fights for years so he will be used to the routine and pressure

the 2 of them are both unbelievable fighters and i'm a big fan of both of them...styles make fights and these 2 are so different in and out of the ring it's untrue floyd likes to box fancy in and out and hatton is both a boxer and a brawler and his none stop pressure is what i think will win him the fight

i've been lucky enough to meet hatton loads of times as he lives near me and drinks in a lot of the pubs i go in and he is exactly how you see him on tv he's not flash, cocky, a big head (unlike mayweather) he's so down to earth and just one of the lads

CMON RICKY!

To be fair to Mayweather, i'm no fan of his, but behaving like a clown is just a show. Straight after his appearance on Dancing with the Star's, he flew back home, and hit the gym for a long work-out. At heart, he is a good person, if you see that side of him of course.

None the less, i hope Hatton really f-ks him up big time.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
yea i seen that on hatton mayweather 24/7 i did state in my post that he would of trained hard i just think it was one distraction he could of done without

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I don't give a shit about boxing and think its stupid, but i may check this result because i have vcash riding on Hatton. lol

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
I've been looking forward to this fight for a long time. I just hope it lives up to the hype and lasts more than 3 rounds!!!

Hatton has a chance but Mayweather must be the favourite. He's a cocky so-and-so and I'd love to see Hatton knock him out but I'm not sure he can.

If it goes the distance I'm sure it'll be a very close points decision.

Come on Ricky!!!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
I'm going to Manchester tomorrow to watch United at OT and was planning to go round a mates house to watch the fight.

However, he has a dodgy Virgin Media box (dodgy as in he has all the channels but is not paying for them) and he can usually get pay-per-view films etc just by entering his pin but it won't let him put the pin in for the channel with the fight on.

He won't know whether it works or not until 11pm and the last train back home for me is at 9.15pm.

Do you think his dodgy box will work or should I just go home and buy it on Sky Box Office?

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
RichardsReds said:
if you have the opportunity to watch it i'd just go home and buy it... i'd hate to miss it cos of i faulty box, thats just me though
I'm definitely edging towards that option at the moment. I've been looking forward to this fight for months!!!

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
reddwarf said:
I'm definitely edging towards that option at the moment. I've been looking forward to this fight for months!!!
His box could work but could you not stroll down to a pub and watch it? Surely it will be shown in a few places, especially in Manchester...

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
His box could work but could you not stroll down to a pub and watch it? Surely it will be shown in a few places, especially in Manchester...
The programme starts at 11pm but I don't think Hatton is scheduled to fight until 3 or 4am. There will be some bars still open in Manchester but my mate lives in Didsbury and I don't think any of them are open that late round there.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
reddwarf said:
The programme starts at 11pm but I don't think Hatton is scheduled to fight until 3 or 4am. There will be some bars still open in Manchester but my mate lives in Didsbury and I don't think any of them are open that late round there.
yeah sorry, my mate just told me it starts at 4am. I thought it was kicking off at 11pm..... Oh well...Maybe just head back to yours and watch it. Make a night of it :)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts