Manchester United Talk banner

unfair suspension?

943 views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Jay007 
#1 ·
with vidic getting sent off at the W.C.C., he is now banned for the first leg of our game vs inter.
i think this is a ridiculous decision, it was an exhibition tournament , played outside of europe , it should have no bearing on our domestic or european games.
just like players picking up league bans for offenses committed in pre-season.

yes the players are expected to play by the rules and indiscipline should be punished, a fine would be a better solution.
the decision to carry a ban over to our next euro game could be potentially fatal to our season.
surely something has to be done about this stupid rule.

#2 ·
the tournie is still sanctioned by FIFA and they have to carry a ban to another comp.They won't do the Prem and if we were out of the Champs leauge he would have got the fine.Its a ridiculous rule i agree but they are there and we just have to go to the San Siro with pride and passion and do them regardless.TBH though its out Attack that worries me the most!!

#4 ·
Vidic definitely knew it was an official match. Silly of him to get sent off in a match that wasn't too important, really.

No the thing that confuses me is this. The Club World Cup is sanctioned by FIFA.

So why is Vidic being banned in the Champions League which is run by UEFA?

Shouldn't he be serving an International ban i.e. Matches controlled by FIFA rather than UEFA? :confused:

#7 ·
Is everyone here SURE he IS suspended??

I was watching MUTV yesterday and they were repeatedly saying that they'd bring
you the latest news, be it a 3 game ban or none at all...

...I don't think he IS suspended though, although UEFA are set to look into it I
believe! :(

#8 ·
Agree with you completely Keano. I bet it is a FIFA decision. They want clubs to take it seriously and not for what it is - a mickey mouse tournament. The prize money given out was amazing though, Adelaide United got $2.5m AUD for beating an African side...bit of a joke.

G
#9 ·
dlan4327 said:
Vidic definitely knew it was an official match. Silly of him to get sent off in a match that wasn't too important, really.

No the thing that confuses me is this. The Club World Cup is sanctioned by FIFA.

So why is Vidic being banned in the Champions League which is run by UEFA?

Shouldn't he be serving an International ban i.e. Matches controlled by FIFA rather than UEFA?
:confused:
The rules state that any ban would be served under the FA that they are representing, in our case we were the Champions League winners so we were representing UEFA.

It would be a bit silly to receive an international ban for offences committed whilst playing for your club don't you think?

He deserves a ban in my opinion. A 3 game ban would be harsh, but 1 game is fair enough because he deserved the red card.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.