Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i`m a new member to this great site. I was just wondering what does the ship on the badge represent? can anyone help me? I have followed Man U for over 20 years home and away and i am ashamed to say i dont know why the ship is there..........thanks.

Z

·
0 Posts
ayrton-senna3 said:
It has to do with our rivalry to Liverpool.
It's nothing to do with rivalries, it's a reference to Manchester's canal industry.

·
Registered
516 Posts
-zuco- said:
It's nothing to do with rivalries, it's a reference to Manchester's canal industry.

In the 19th or 20th Century, the canal were build to get the ship directly to Manchester and not to Liverpool. Many Liverpool peoples became jobless and many Manchester peoples got new jobs because of the canal. It's one reason of many why Liverpool hate us.

Z

·
0 Posts
ayrton-senna3 said:
In the 19th or 20th Century, the canal were build to get the ship directly to Manchester and not to Liverpool. Many Liverpool peoples became jobless and many Manchester peoples got new jobs because of the canal. It's one reason of many why Liverpool hate us.
That may be true, but it's not the reason the ship is on the badge.

·
Registered
516 Posts
-zuco- said:
That may be true, but it's not the reason the ship is on the badge.
That's the reason why Liverpool hate us. I've just think about it and I went off topic. I had been confused. :p But the ship represents the famous canal to Manchester through Liverpool.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Red Devil 7 said:
Hi guys, i`m a new member to this great site. I was just wondering what does the ship on the badge represent? can anyone help me? I have followed Man U for over 20 years home and away and i am ashamed to say i dont know why the ship is there..........thanks.
In 20 years have you been told before not to call United Man U... they dont like that on this forum at all!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
man utd badge

Thanks guys, i have managed to find out a bit, and it IS to do with the shipping docks along side that its on the Manchester coat of arms too. Any of you guys go to the village pub on 5th street before the games? if you do we`re the Cheltenham crew.....always in there.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
eoininho said:
In 20 years have you been told before not to call United Man U... they dont like that on this forum at all!!
To be honest mate I've been absolutely fanatical about Manchester United all of my life, as are every generation of my family who are from Manchester, and I go to a fair few games. And never once before joining this forum had I heard not to use the term 'Man U'. Loads of people at Old Trafford shout 'come on Man U', so leave that issue alone its pointless.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Someone on Yahoo answers goes along with zucos answer;

"The Red Devil is United's nickname and the Ship has something to do with the introduction of the Manchester Shipping canal. Manchester was a big industrial city but ships had to dock in Liverpool because it was a massive port, with the introduction of the canal in manchester it meant anything going to Manchester could go direct through the canal instead of going to Liverpool, something to do I suppose of the massive rivalry with Liverpool."

As for the term "Man U" I don't like it simply because it reminds me of Football 365's amateur reporting and their reference to "ManYoo" :rolleyes:

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Red Devil 7 said:
Thanks guys, i have managed to find out a bit, and it IS to do with the shipping docks along side that its on the Manchester coat of arms too. Any of you guys go to the village pub on 5th street before the games? if you do we`re the Cheltenham crew.....always in there.

The Coat of Arms is representing the actual crest for Manchester.

The ship on it represents the trading across seas of goods and services. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm of the beielf that the three stripes across the coat of arms, depicts the three trade routs, to where exactly I;m not sure. We used to have the three stripes until we were cristened the Red Devils by Matt Busby while on tour when we were then given the Devil in place of the stripes, yet the coat of arms shape was kept.

You see the two roses on the horse/lion? They are replaced by two footballs on the United crest today. ;)

You'll notice that City have the ship and three stripes too...

A lot of history in that crest! :rolleyes: :cool:

and since United are now a PLC, we no longer have "Football Club" printed on the crest and its led to comical versions of the crest such as below being made... :rolleyes:

--------------------------------------------
Current crest

http://www.soccernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/manchester-united-crest1.jpg

Older, my favourite if the colours were as rich as the ones today

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d1/Manchester_United_Badge_1973-1998.png/180px-Manchester_United_Badge_1973-1998.png

The one prior the Devil with the stripe -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f9/Manchester_United_Badge_1960s-1973.png/180px-Manchester_United_Badge_1960s-1973.png

and I'm looking for the older, very old white one... i used to have a sweet pic of it, but can't find it now.

I have a savage poster in my room and its on it... I'll keep looking for it

S

·
0 Posts
The Manchester Coat of Arms dates back to 1842, and pre-dates the Ship Canal by half a century.

* Antelope and chain represents the engineering industries
* Red roses are traditional representations of Lancashire
* Three stripes represent the three rivers of Manchester, the Irk, the Irwell and the Medlock.
* Terrestrial globe covered in bees represent efficient industry (often used around the city as an emblam of Manchester) adopted in the 19th Century
* The ship represents the city's trading base and later Manchester Ship Canal
* Lion and the red castle is a reference to the Roman fort at Castlefield
* 'Concilion et Labore' is latin for 'By Wisdom and Effort'

Hope that clears the matter up. :)

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
SALFORD RED said:
The Manchester Coat of Arms dates back to 1842, and pre-dates the Ship Canal by half a century.

* Antelope and chain represents the engineering industries
* Red roses are traditional representations of Lancashire
* Three stripes represent the three rivers of Manchester, the Irk, the Irwell and the Medlock.
* Terrestrial globe covered in bees represent efficient industry (often used around the city as an emblam of Manchester) adopted in the 19th Century
* The ship represents the city's trading base and later Manchester Ship Canal
* Lion and the red castle is a reference to the Roman fort at Castlefield
* 'Concilion et Labore' is latin for 'By Wisdom and Effort'

Hope that clears the matter up. :)
Knew it! :p :D:D:D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Richie said:
Loads of people at Old Trafford shout 'come on Man U', so leave that issue alone its pointless.
As you say it's essentially a pointless argument, but I have to say I've never heard anyone shout 'Come on Man U' in the Stretford End in well over 30 years of attending.

I've no doubt it's prevalent among the JCL's elsewhere in the ground though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts