Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United have reportedly taken the first steps towards signing Samuel Eto'o for £27million this summer.

According to the Daily Mail Sir Alex Ferguson has identified the Barcelona striker as his number one transfer target as he begins his quest for three major signings in the close season.

It is understood Israeli agent Pini Zahavi, who has links in Barcelona, is behind the deal while Eto'o's friendship with Rio Ferdinand is also a factor in United's favour.

Only last week the United boss spoke of his desire to add more pace to his attack and the Cameroon international clearly fits the bill.

"Speed is important to us," said Ferguson as he talked about his plans for next season's title defence and Champions League challenge.

"At the moment that's what we're looking at. Whether we can get more speed."

Eto'o has been unsettled at the Catalan giants since his fall out with coach Frank Rijkaard and Brazilian star Ronaldinho after he had just returned from four months out with a knee injury.

At the time he was accused of refusing to play and wounds between the trio have never fully repaired.

In recent weeks however, Eto'o has let his football do most of the talking having scored 10 goals in his last 14 games and this kind of form has sparked interest from a host of European clubs.

AC Milan, Liverpool and Chelsea are also rumoured to be in the hunt for the three-times African Player of the Year but sources indicate he would prefer a move to Old Trafford.

Assuming Ferguson manages to also land Bayern Munich's Owen Hargreaves for £20m, United will have spent nearly all of their summer budget of £50m on just two players.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i think thats false coz he has always saiod he would join arsenal if he came 2 england id love him but i think no chance

·
Registered
16 Posts
Umm i really dont want Eto ok he is a good player but i really cant see him joining manchester united and i dont think he would leave Barcelona to join us anyway. Its more likly he would join Chelsea or Arsenal or even better just stay at Barca

·
Registered
38 Posts
Chelsea need to keep winning trophies to keep attracting players as the big BIG money they play is wearing thiner and thiner - our finacial clout has increased with winning the title and the shine is back on us.

I think the winner of the FA Cup final will add a lot more weight to either us or Chelsea in this round of transfers as if Chelsea dont win it then the momentum is firmly back with us and we can capitalise on this when attracting players.

This is only if we win if not its a 50/50 thing as the wind is not in Chelsea's sales atm and I dont think its just money alone which will tempt top class players.

Jose has put the elite of europes football on the bench all to often (Ballack and Schevchenko which will serve as a warning to others).

At least if Etto performs he will be given time to deliver - we have given enough time to Saha and Smith so time to get new people in and we really do need a 2nd starting striker!

·
Registered
414 Posts
saha and smith have the summer to improve, and by next season i hope saha can prove the doubters to be foolish and play like the true devil he is, the reason fergie bought him in the first place, a monster of a striker, better than Henry fancy pants, i believe in saha unbelievably

·
Registered
38 Posts
Shah was a big fish in a little pond at his last club and that is also the level Smith is at they belong at Bolton's and Blackburns of this league not United.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Alot of people on this forum are saying it wont happen..

Berbatov aint happnin accoding to Spurs.

Owen aint happnin because Newcastle wont let him.

Villa aint happnin. END OF.

So who will united buy if all of these wont happen?

Id like to see berbatov/owen or eto at OT :D

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this is on the BBC website today

Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o has insisted he wants to stay at the club and will not be moving to the Premiership in the close season.
Newspapers had reported that the 26-year-old Cameroon international could join Liverpool in the summer.

But he said: "I have not heard anything. These kind of things are usually just speculation.

"I'm happy here and will definitely be here next season. The press can write what they want, but I am staying."

Eto'o fell out with Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard earlier this season after refusing to come on as a late substitute against Racing Santander, but said he was not in any hurry to leave.

"I have no idea where I will be in a few years time. But at the moment I have a contract until 2010," he said.

"There have been so many lies written about me. In fact, I would say that 99.999% of the things I have read about myself in the papers have been untrue.

"Like I said, I am happy here. There is no problem, no crisis."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts