Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inter Milan have revealed that Manchester United almost lured starlet Davide Santon to England as they did with Federico Macheda.

The 17-year-old Macheda hit the headlines last week as he made his United debut in style by scoring the winner in their Premier League win over Aston Villa.

That promoted Macheda's former club Lazio to again stress their annoyance at the fact that The Red Devils were able to lure him away from Rome when he was 16.

Italian clubs cannot put players onto professional deals until they are 18, and, at times, English clubs use this to their advantage as they can to this when they turn 16.

That was the case with Macheda as he moved to Manchester at 16 and signed a contract with United. And now Inter have revealed that Santon, who has just broken into their first-team, almost went the same way.

Inter's assistant, Giuseppe Baresi, has revealed how Stanton almost joined United, whilst Chelsea also showed an interest.

"It was a similar case like that of Macheda, that almost happened with Santon," he told Sky Italia.

"We knew of Manchester United's interest. I know their Italian scout was following him, and like him.

"And with Manchester there was Chelsea, another club who has a scout here in Italy and they were watching all our matches to follow Santon.

"But the (player's) family was important, we have been able to his contract in the way, right sums for a guy aged 16."

Santon is now regarded as one of finest prospects in Italian football having broken through into Jose Mourinho's squad this season.

Sky Sports | Football | Serie A | News | United failed with Santon swoop

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Hmm.... Rate him very highly. For Mourinho to trust an 18 year old against the world's best player sure says a lot.

He didn't get forward a lot, but he kept Ronaldo in check. Very good prospect.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
Hmm.... Rate him very highly. For Mourinho to trust an 18 year old against the world's best player sure says a lot.

He didn't get forward a lot, but he kept Ronaldo in check. Very good prospect.
agreed. but how bad we have Fabio who was top scorer in the u 17 world cup from left back i believe?i think Fabio could be a better player then Santon as i think he will be better going forward and will learn how to defend better too i think anyway

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Yeah, he was pretty impressive when we played Inter..
Looks a good young player, that Mourinho obviously has faith in..!

But like Canto said, we do have Fabio who looks quality..
Rafael and Fabio are already brillant wing-backs, but when they mature and improve on their defending, they can be world-beaters.. There's a fantastic young generation of players coming up at United..!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
agreed. but how bad we have Fabio who was top scorer in the u 17 world cup from left back i believe?i think Fabio could be a better player then Santon as i think he will be better going forward and will learn how to defend better too i think anyway
Well.... thre's not a lot of evidence to base that opinion on.

We've seen Fabio exactly once play in the senior side and while he played very well that day, the opposition wasn't CL clibre.

I know what you mean though. That single display from Fabio gave us a glimpse of a possible genius, but we shouldn't get too excited until we see him against more formidable opponents.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
according to FM santon can play anywhere on the right. as a winger or as a fullback. i thought maybe mourinho specfically instructed santon to stay back at all times. but that said, hes one hell of talent. i do rate him more than fabio.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
He's truly a hot prospect and we had proof in the games Inter played against us. But we also have our youngsters like Rafael and Fabio so let's hope we won't regret in the future missing out on Santon.

·
Registered
773 Posts
according to FM santon can play anywhere on the right. as a winger or as a fullback. i thought maybe mourinho specfically instructed santon to stay back at all times. but that said, hes one hell of talent. i do rate him more than fabio.

can he score regularly like potential fabio.....

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Whys everyone mentioning Fabio :confused: Santon is a right back, I'm sure of it. I just think he played LB against us due to Maicon playing RB and Mourinho is obviously going to prefer to keep him in that position as he is a stronger player.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Whys everyone mentioning Fabio :confused: Santon is a right back, I'm sure of it. I just think he played LB against us due to Maicon playing RB and Mourinho is obviously going to prefer to keep him in that position as he is a stronger player.
yes totally agreed. he's even right-footed and i just cant think of any decent inter leftback other than maxwell.

MR United said:
can he score regularly like potential fabio.....
fabio scored regularly at only the u-17 world cup. he hasnt scored much in reserves at all as much as i know. also, if a defender does leave his position and leave a gap behind, we would get exploited.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
fabio scored regularly at only the u-17 world cup. he hasnt scored much in reserves at all as much as i know. also, if a defender does leave his position and leave a gap behind, we would get exploited.
He scored a hattrick the other week!

·
GET YOUR HEAD OUT THE PUSSY CLOUDS & IN THE GAME
2,659 Posts
I thought santon looked rubbish up against ronaldo. Ronaldo took him to the cleaners at the san siro didnt he?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I thought santon looked rubbish up against ronaldo. Ronaldo took him to the cleaners at the san siro didnt he?

no. you have to remember, this lad is only 17 years old. and against the world player of the year, not your average lennons bentleys and wright-phillips.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts