Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United are locked in talks for Hertha Berlin left-back Gilberto.

Bild am Sonntag says Gilberto's agent, Alexandre Martin, is in talks with United over a contract through to 2010.

"I don't want to say too much about it. I have a number of offers, and perhaps I'll stay in Berlin. Or perhaps I'll go to England or Portugal or even back to Brazil. I am not worried," Gilberto, 31, said.

Gilberto Da Silva Melo

April 25, 1976 Rio De Janeiro

Left Back/Midfield

1.81m (5ft11in)

Gilberto has played for several clubs including Inter Milan, Gremio and Cruzeiro!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Reports from Germany claim that Hertha Berlin’s Brazilian left-back and midfielder Gilberto is close to signing for Manchester United.

The Brazilian’s contract with Hertha is due to expire at the end of the season, and he and his agent have so far refused to open up negotiations to extend it.

‘Bild am Sonntag’ claims that is because his agent Alexandre Martins is in advanced discussions with the Premiership giants over a move to England.

The newspaper claims that the contract has been agreed and is just awaiting the player’s signature. The deal will take him up to the 2010 World Cup, when Gilberto says he will retire.

Hertha Berlin are currently in Tenerife at their winter training headquarters. From there, Gilberto has been rather quiet on the rumours, without denying them outright.

“I don’t want to say too much about it. I have a number of offers, and perhaps I’ll stay in Berlin. Or perhaps I’ll go to England or Portugal or even back to Brazil. I am not worried” he said.

Gilberto is a key player for the Selecao and being a ‘free transfer’ is wanted by a number of top clubs with Benfica confirmed as very interested.

The defensive midfielder has however stated his desire to win things- something which stands in United’s favour.

“With Brazil I’m used to winning titles and I want that with my club side too” Gilberto revealed.

The 31 year old joined Hertha in 2004 from São Caetano, after earlier spells with Gremio, Vasco da Gama and Flamengo.

The third goal's by Gilberto:

·
Registered
414 Posts
would love it if these rumours are true, i worry bout the number o games evra plays, no offense to sly but he doesnt really play anywhere close to the standard evra does and doesnt really fit the teams playing style, this brazilian guy gilberto im sure knows how to play football the united way, remember kaka sayin united play football like brazil

good to see simmo progressin somewhat and showing his metal yesterday, great cover at right back, left is obviously the only area in desperate need of cover, striker less important as its defenders that win you matches

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
interesting option, evra is playing almost every game at the moment, afraid that he might run out of steam in the titles run-in. can be a good cover for evra, although O'Shea did alright when called upon

·
Registered
78 Posts
Think that its just a case of he wants a new contract and is using United as a bargaining tool as we have been so many times

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
akash_reds said:
hope hes good eventhough he is old..............will be good cover for evra.......

From what Chi says he is not bad and likes to get forward! He might be 31, but he is handy cover for Evra and DM position!

·
Registered
4 Posts
if its true i think it could be a decent signing for us, he's taken over from roberto carlos for brazil, he'd be free and he could cover for evra until the silva's make the 1st team, better than silvestre anyway

1 - 13 of 13 Posts