Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of coverage do you reackon we get genrally across tv, radio and the papers?? and if your not from this country whats it like where you come from?? are we revered and praised or a figure of hate? do we get a fair deal or not...any particular good or bad issues??

personally for me think the london press in particular are still very begrudging in their praise...think they would love a london based team to be dominat again..........one thing that particulary annoys me is the suns rating- they never seem to bear any relation to the game i just watched?

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Well, some of the coverage Sir Alex got during the transitional period was pretty disgraceful imo, so it's great he's proved them all wrong yet again.

As for now, I wouldn't say we're particularly liked or disliked. Some are quite negative towards us while others are positive. Also, in terms of Sky it annoys me how they don't have a Utd perspective on very often while they have a perspective of the other sides on pretty regularly.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
manutd004 said:
Well, some of the coverage Sir Alex got during the transitional period was pretty disgraceful imo, so it's great he's proved them all wrong yet again.
I agree. Some of the articles were just plain ludicrous - making predictions that we'd do well to finish 4th, that Fergie was too old fashioned and couldn't cope with the modern game, that players like Scholes, Giggs etc were not good enough any more etc.

Well :p to them!!!

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
Manchester United have very good coverage here in Malta ..
We have our own radio programme too. Apart from the fact that we are always mentioned in the back pages of the newspapers.. and on sports news as well ;)

I can`t have any excuses with not being enough updated from the Maltese media, that what`s concerning Manchester United.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Here in Germany I think that Liverpool is very overrated, and also Arsenal. I don't know why. Anyway I think Manchester United will underrated by the journalists and other football fans. :mad:

They all think we have been lucky with Champions League win over Bayern München. To be honest I don't think so.

I mean we won almost everything and that hasn't to do with luck or not. It's just the way we play. Successful. :p

They are just jealous! Not more.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
In Canada, there is grudging acceptance from the 'experts' of the amazing nature of our dominance over the last 17 years. But, WTF else can they do? :p

You get the sense that most of them would rather see L'Arse, the dippers, Villa (someone different) win. Sorry, but tough sh!t!

This year though, they seem to be a little more complimentary of our season and our performances - especially the defensive record. It's very much unlike last season when arsenal were the media darlings. It got so ridiculous at times...you'd have thought they were set to win everything for the next 10 years. Ahem.

Bottom line though is, if you are a pundit and you don't like United - jealousy and envy are the only things you've got left! :D

·
23,699 Posts
Very safe in the Far East. Here Manchester United are very well respected and recognised as the world's most famous and popular football club.

Due to the region following English football for years and its traditions, we and Liverpool are the most popular clubs, followed by Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs some distance away (Chelsea must have the fastest growing fans base here because before Abramovich's time, I have never heard of any existence of its fan clubs here :rolleyes: ). Fans of smaller clubs are almost unheard of. Once a friend was brave and honest enough to admit he is a Derby fan.... He never mentioned it again.

Despite some rivals amongst journalists, nothing untowards, begrudging or cynical, generally speaking. Hardly anything negative or out of rivalry/bitterness being said. If any at all, just personal opinions of the same few muppets only and pretty well subtle.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I keep hearing journalists (watch Sunday Supplement on Sky Sports for an example) who say that it would be wonderful for the game if Liverpool or Villa won the Premier League. They say the Premier League has become boring and too predictable.

These are, of course, the same journalists who all predicted Chelsea would win the Premier League this season. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Here in India the newspapers donot have an opinion on football so an opinion on United is out of question. In the newspapers we have staringht rip offs from The Guardian or some other English papers and that's it.

As for ESPN which airs the PL matches in the entire southeast Asia, they don't fancy United much. We have a show over here called Football Focus and they have 4 pundits out of which 2 or 3 are former Scousers. They speak about United for 5 minutes in a 1 hour show, talk about Livepool and their chances in the League for 45 minutes, the rest on Chelsea and if some time remains on the relegation threatened teams.

But I enjoy seeing they want anyone other team than United to win anything.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
marty davidson said:
The radios and newspaper's are so biased against United in some parts of England
now living down in the midlands listen to some of the local radio and they talk about local teams etc which is interesting to listen to...but whenver there is criticism to be thrown around its always look at unired and chelksi and how they have ruined football......i can understand some of the criticism of the finances yes, what some morons dont understand is that a lot of united fans DON'T like how the club is financed and run.
to make generalisations though is utter ignorance, we have done more for the youth policy and development in british football than any other team, we play an attractive way and are successful.
think the key word is success.....and thats gets up a lot of peoples nosesand sadly those who slag us off often have a media platform to do it on which gives more coverage of their ill informed and wrongful views

·
Registered
141 Posts
the chief sports writer of the sun is the worst ive ever read,he is obsessed with utd and hates fergie but overall he just has not got a clue about football and just goes with the easy story of utd bashing to please the cockney masses and he looks like a slapped arse aswell

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm happy that the majority of the London Press have anti-United agendas.

I love that when they have to praise us they do it through gritted teeth, I love it that their beloved Arsenal and Chelsea have turned to ***** in the last season, and I love it that they have to choose between the bindippers and United if they are going to write anything positive.

Even the BBC's legendary pro-scouse pundits are forced to bow before the altar of Manchester United superiority, and that must hurt.

The more we are hated the happier I am, because it means we are successful.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Rahul said:
Here in India the newspapers donot have an opinion on football so an opinion on United is out of question. In the newspapers we have staringht rip offs from The Guardian or some other English papers and that's it.

As for ESPN which airs the PL matches in the entire southeast Asia, they don't fancy United much. We have a show over here called Football Focus and they have 4 pundits out of which 2 or 3 are former Scousers. They speak about United for 5 minutes in a 1 hour show, talk about Livepool and their chances in the League for 45 minutes, the rest on Chelsea and if some time remains on the relegation threatened teams.

But I enjoy seeing they want anyone other team than United to win anything.
Exactly , this is what we get in India

TV News , papers have a sports segment which contains only cricket , criket players interviews , what cars the cricketers have , where cricketers live etc. :confused:

Coming to TV this is how its broadcasted

EPL : EPSN Star - Pretty good covergae as ESPN Takes feeds from Sky and Star from Setanta or Premier Live.

CL : Ten Sports. Shitty coverage and the commentators sit in some studio in the middle east :eek: . They have no clue whats going on

Carling Cup / FA Cup etc : Ten sports or PIX. But no one knows when they will show it.

Media is biased against United and talk of all scousers. Football FOucus , yeah I watch that --->> now they have 3 former liverpool players . But I think Mcmahaon [Macca] is ok. Hate the rest.

The only good thing being MUTV hwich is shown on TEN Sports :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts