Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JOSE MOURINHO believes HE deserves the credit for turning Manchester United into European champions.

Mourinho claims his reign at Chelsea made United up their game, resulting in them winning back the Premier League and Champions League.

He said: “When I was in England, Chelsea was the best team between 2004-06. That is why we won two consecutive Premierships.

“Manchester United at that time realised they needed to be better to win it and, in my third season, that’s what they did. And they went on to win the Champions League.

“That has given them so much confidence. They are certainly a better team now than when I was in England.”

How much better he could find out tomorrow when his Inter Milan side face United in the San Siro in their Champions League second-round, first-leg clash.

While United will be narrow favourites to progress, Mourinho is convinced his side has what it takes to knock out the holders and win the tournament for the first time since 1965.

Mourinho added: “This is the biggest challenge of my career here.

“The Champions League is so important to Inter Milan, because they have not won the cup for nearly 50 years.

“It is the ambition of everyone at this club to do it.”

Mourinho says it will be ‘war’ between him and Alex Ferguson in the tie, though afterwards he expects to continue his good relationship with the United boss.

The Special One said: “I have a great relationship with Sir Alex.

“You know during the game it is going to be a real war. But afterwards there is always happiness and we share some time together. I don’t want that to change, no matter who wins or loses.

“I have so many good memories of facing United. I beat them while with Porto in the last 16, in a Carling Cup semi-final with Chelsea and also at Stamford Bridge to claim our second title.” You can throw in the 2007 FA Cup win, too, and Mourinho admitted: “My personal record against them makes me confident.”

Advertisement

Many believe Mourinho will suceed the all-conquering United chief when he retires. Yet Mourinho has different plans.

He revealed: “One of my ambitions as a manager is to win the three most important championships in Europe — the Premier League, Serie A and La Liga.

“If I can do the first two, my focus in the future will be on La Liga.”

Inter have won the Serie A title for the last three seasons and are odds-on to do it again in 2008-09.

Mourinho believes the United battle could revolve around how his team handle Cristiano Ronaldo and United cope with the player he believes is the world’s best — Inter striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

He declared: “Cristiano Ronaldo is a top player. It is impossible to stop such a good player, just as Sir Alex will find with Ibrahimovich.”

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
How could his ego be that huge? All teams work in a series of cycles. Building and rebuilding. Chelsea spent hundreds of millions and then we rebuild and dominate England again. Should we thank Arsene for our Treble in 1999?

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Such a big head.

As he said, "this is a stronger Utd side to anything he faced in his time here."
I'm confident of making it through this tie over the two legs.
All our good form of late has been in the domestic cups, so i'm eager to see who we get on tomorrow against a very strong Italian side.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Am I the only one to think there is some truth in what he said? :yes:

Those couple of pl titles he led them to scared the sh!te out of me, I was honestly worried they were about to embark on a united-like dynasty. It really put some fire under our butts and we came out of the gate in 06/07 just storming...we haven't looked back since. :wink:

·
Davey baby chips 'n' gravy
4,055 Posts
I know Ibrahimovic is good, but Jose is really making him out like he is unbelievably good! like no one can touch him. I have seen him in Serie A and yes the boy has some awesome talent but when it comes to Europe he doesn't really produce against the big boys. Infact, I am getting sick of clowns really over-rating that tit!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
There is some truth in what he says. He came along, and took Chelsea to a new level. They raised the bar, for what it took to become Champions. It took a few years but we did become Champs once again, and since then we've raised the bar higher.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Tbf, he has a point.

Obviously it's not solely because of him that we upped our game and became champions of England & Europe again. However, the combination of Chelsea, Abramovich's billions and Mourinho's management was one of the greatest challenges Fergie has faced in his time as United manager.

He proved yet again what a legend he is by overcoming the challenge.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Don't forget the botched signing of 'dinho though. Something tells me we would have looked a little different, and Jose wouldn't have enjoyed near the same success if that had gone through like Fergie thought it would.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts