Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on absolutely nothing whatsoever but I suppose it's enough to keep you slightly worried for the next 48 hours.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/latest/...5875-20717693/

Michael Owen set to leave Newcastle

30/08/2008

Michael Owen is set to deal Kevin Keegan a massive blow by leaving Newcastle.

And Toon boss Keegan fears the Dimitar Berbatov saga could mean either Manchester United or Tottenham come in with a bid in the next 24 hours that tempts billionaire owner Mike Ashley to cash in.

Keegan's passionate campaign to keep Owen at Newcastle looks doomed after Ashley insisted the players £5million-a-year wages must be slashed.

The England striker, whose present deal expires in June 2009, has been offered a new one-year deal worth £80,000 a week.

But that represents a s1m-plus cut on his present annual salary and doesnt offer the job security Owen is seeking.

Owen, who will be 29 in December, can sign a pre-contract for another team in January and there is sure to be a queue of clubs ready to take him on a free.

Owen has said he is happy to stay , but when he sits down with his advisers this week the feeling is he will reject the new offer.

Advertisement - article continues below »

A Newcastle insider has revealed Keegan is distraught at the prospect of losing his star striker, especially as his squad is now smaller than last season.

He said: "Kevin has done everything possible to persuade Newcastle to push the boat out to keep Owen. He knows asking Owen to take a pay cut leaves the player with little option but to sign for someone else."

And if Ashley believes Owen may go for nothing in January he might even accept an offer for him before this transfer window closes. Certainly Keegan is concerned about that.

Losing James Milner was bad enough, but if Keegan saw Owen go it would be a disaster.

Fans are concerned that in net terms the club is actually in profit on summer transfers.

But Keegan is hoping that will change. He said: "We are looking to get three or four players in by midnight on Monday. I am confident we will do that."

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Owen's amazing. His record only proves that.

If Campbell goes for 7million (as has been reported to Hull). Then I'd take Owen for the same.

Injury record worries me, though.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
great player, great record ......... just too injury prone,we will end up with another saha on our hands...ain't clever payin a guy to sit in the stands

·
There is no Noxiousd, only ZUUL
16,031 Posts
Micheal Owen? £2 million?

Just heard today about this, apparently we're weighing up a bid for Owen shold the Berb deal fall through, what you guys think?

Personally i think at £2 Million hes a huge bargain, the only question mark surrounds his fitness, would he fare any better than Saha?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts