Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twelve Months ago, Zico was under heavy pressure in his new job at Fenerbahce.
The Brazilian footballing legend was just starting to build a new team, constructed around some of his compatriots, and when they suffered a couple of defeats there was instant panic and a widespread fever fro change among the fans and media in Istanbul.

The agitation was admirably resisted by the clubs powerbrokers. They kept faith with Zico and were indeed rewarded with a league title no less! Now, Fener, with Roberto Carlos added to the side, have made a strong start in the Champions League group stage, beating Inter Milan at home in their opening fixture and then grabbing a draw away to CSKA Moscow.

Four of 32 coaches of Champions League group stage clubs left their jobs within a few days of each other. Jose Mourinho (Chelsea), Gheorghe Hagi (Steaua Bucharest), Albert Emon (Marseille) and Anatoliy Demyanenko (Dynamo Kiev) were all gone in flash, victims of the madness of modern day football.

Do ambitious clubs really not understand the indisputable truth of success – that managerial stability brings the greatest and most sustained rewards? Are Manchester United one of the few out of the “supposed” ambitious clubs to really understand the truth of success?

Do you agree, going by what I have put to you or do you have another view. Let me know!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
To be fair it's easy to say when you have a manger as good and as long serving as fergie, we will not be able to tell if united stick with this policy until fergie retires.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rydersonthestorm said:
To be fair it's easy to say when you have a manger as good and as long serving as fergie, we will not be able to tell if united stick with this policy until fergie retires.

Ok fair enough, but think back to when in the early years when Fergie was close to getting the sack. What did United do? Well Fergie saved his job, United kept their faith - has it or has it not payed off! United have reaped rewards because of that decision.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Yes but how many managers where getting sacked that quikcly in those days, it is well recognised that if fergie hadn't have beaten forest he might well have got the sack

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Theses days....

If Fergies sucessor fails to achieve the clubs expectations and the fans expectations or even close to that.....he will be gone....
The days of putting faith in a manager is gone...never mind for a few years..
The only way I can see this not happening is if we get a former United player..
Keane would be ideal...It would take near relegation for the fans to turn on him or the board for that matter..
I am sure he would do very well at United and here's hoping he will be Fergies sucessor...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
At this current moment in time i would much rather have mark hughes than keane as the next united manager, keane may be doing well so far but he still has lot to prove before he can look at taking over at united. Hughes on the other hand has managed wales and blackburn and has done an excellent job with both.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I think the natural successor to SAF has to be Queiroz. While he's there he could take Keane or Hughes and have them be an assistant to him like he was to SAF.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Grif SA said:
I think the natural successor to SAF has to be Queiroz. While he's there he could take Keane or Hughes and have them be an assistant to him like he was to SAF.
i disagree.......i wouldnt like Queiroz as manager, i think he's best as a number two

but hey thats my opinion

T

·
0 Posts
Keano's the man for the job!!!

Well maybe not quite yet but possibly in years to come???

AT the mo I can't see past Jose Mourinho as much as I deteste the guy but he's undoubtedly a great manager!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts