Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now fellow reds, I'm very confident of United progressing to the Final of the Uefa Champions League while beating Barca @ OT next week. But IF (a supposition of uncertain possibility), Barca actually hold United to a 0-0 goalless stalemate draw (they hve Carles Puyol, their inspirational captain & one of the best centre-backs in the world currently back from a suspension), the game would ultimately end up in a penalty shootout that United hve somewhat been 'cursed' just like the In-gur-land's scenario (bar the Charity Shield) but not as bad though. Who would you appoint the duty of taking the first 5 pens? My choices are as below:

1) Cristiano Ronaldo
2) Owen Hargreaves
3) Rio Ferdinand
4) Anderson
5) Wayne Rooney

In THAT specific order. Rooney to finish the route & taking the match-winning spot kick would be immense IMO! :D ;)

Z

·
0 Posts
Ronaldo
Tevez
Carrick
Scholes
Hargreaves

Rooney is a crap penalty taker and i wouldn't have Ferdinand in there at all :p
Would be nice for Anderson to get his first goal but I think that on this occasion
it might be a bit too much pressure for him.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
You'd let 3 Englishmen take penalties? Are you mad? :D

Ronaldo is a given.

Hargreaves is actually very good at spot kicks - must be all that time he spent in Germany :rolleyes: - he's the only one who scored against Portugal in the World Cup and even before the game the squad were saying he was the most reliable.

I know Scholesy missed in the FA Cup Final shoot-out against Arsenal but I'd prefer him ahead of Rio because he's such a good striker of the ball.

Anderson is a dodgy one. Hasn't scored for us yet and he's only 19 so the pressure could get to him. I'd be bricking it if he stepped up to take one. What about Tevez?

Rooney scored in the Community Shield shoot out this season but his finishing has been poor at times this season. I'd be a bit worried as he stepped up but I'm sure he'd take one.

·
Registered
322 Posts
i'm not sure which i would choose, in that position i would choose the players that are the best at taking penalties and the ones who are most nonchalant. they can take the pressure and will not get to nervous infront of the crowd.

Ronaldo
Rooney
hargreaves
Nani
Anderson

Which order idon't know, its important to get a good start in the shoot out, and get a good finish, so if you would set the best to start and the second best to shoot as the fourth guy.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
-zuco- said:
Ronaldo
Tevez
Carrick
Scholes
Hargreaves

Rooney is a crap penalty taker and i wouldn't have Ferdinand in there at all :p
Would be nice for Anderson to get his first goal but I think that on this occasion
it might be a bit too much pressure for him.
Rooney has only missed one penalty at his whole career with United, that against Aston Villa in the Premiership where had already bagged a superb brace. While Rio's spot-kick against Chelski in the Charity Shield was a great one, strong drive into the centre of the goal with such impact it rattled the net. While I chose Hargo was due to his free-kicks expertise & he's the only one who netted against Ricardo for In-gur-land in the Fifa WC 06. Would actually hve chosen Tevez instead of Anderson but I really yearn for that lad to net his debut goal for United, that wait is insane! Last but not least, CR7...need I explain? :D

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Ronaldo
Rooney
Hargreaves
Carrick
Tevez
Giggs
Scholes

Maybe not in that order. I wouldn't use Anderson. I'd imagine him either being saved or blasting miles over :rolleyes:

But i hope to God, we do not have a penalty shoot-out. I can't stand them.

Although the only one i've ever enjoyed was last year against Chelski and them missin all of them. :D

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
you picking 3 english players!!!! with the track record they have!!!! would rather have VDS tyaking one than an englishman....
but hargo can...he must have got taining from bayern......
here is my order...
Ronaldo
Tevez
Hargo
these are the ones who have to hit the penalty...the other i am not so sure about is....
Carrick
Nani- if he is playing or else andersosm(if he is playing too)

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
red_devils4life said:
1) Cristiano Ronaldo
2) Owen Hargreaves
3) Rio Ferdinand
4) Anderson
5) Wayne Rooney

In THAT specific order. Rooney to finish the route & taking the match-winning spot kick would be immense IMO! :D ;)
When its a penalty shootout you can go both ways, either to pick your guys and stick with them no matter whats happening. Or, as I think, SAF knows who got the courage to step up and take the penalty kick with huge pressure on their shoulders. The list is long on superstars who didnt have the nerves to take the spot kick.
What everyone say's after a penatly shootout failure to let the more experienced players to take the penalties along with the youngsters who normally take the penalties. IF you miss as a young star, it can bring down your career while a big name in his 30's probably easier will deal with such aftermath from idiots who blame the player for the loss and media who wants to find someone to peck on. So put up names like Scholsy, Nev, Giggsy and Rio on this list of possible names.

·
Registered
590 Posts
red_devils4life said:
Rooney has only missed one penalty at his whole career with United, that against Aston Villa in the Premiership where had already bagged a superb brace.
Didn't Wayne miss a penalty against Palace at home as well in 2004/2005 season. We won the game 5-2 but I seem to remember Kiraly (or however it's spelt :p) saving it diving down low to his right.

I do take your point though, Wayne is a teriffic strike of the ball and if he were to take a penalty, if he put his boot behind it and gave it a good wallop, not many keepers react in time.

The top 5 penalty takers for me would be:

Ronaldo
Hargreaves
Rooney
Ferdinand
Tevez

This wouldn't be the order I would like so see them be taken though. I know Ronnie missed last against Barca, but he is still out best penalty taker and I would let him take his just after the oposition miss one of theirs to give us the advantage :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts