Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Manchester United are set to be stuck with AIG on the front of their shirts for another season.

The Sun says United are seeking a new sponsor to replace the £56.5million deal which expires in June 2010.

The world champs are confident of securing an agreement by the autumn.

But the new strip, which Nike are calling 'V for Victory' featuring a 'V' on the shirt, is in production with the AIG logo in place.

Yet AIG is set to be renamed to AIU, which would leave United with a redundant sponsor.

Company chief executive Edward Liddy said: "The AIG name is so wounded we'll probably have to change it."

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
they need to get it sorted one way or the other before they start selling off shirts, never buy the lastest top stay with my retro tops but my other half gets the new top each yr- aint paying out for something that is gonna be changed after a few months

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Sure we knew that we would have them next year:rolleyes:

AIG, like most major financial institutions lately, are a joke. At least there under Obama's wing now but for how long will they be state backed!

Hopefully the sponsor from 2010-11 onwards is not a bank! (Sahara, Saudi Telecom, Ryanair:rofl:)

So is that the new jersey design confirmed now?

To Zuco, yeah I was on Tribal there, Another Inzaghi Goal

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
The shirt is fake and the article is from tribalfootball. :whistling:
a lot of the kits people have been claiming are the new kit look strangely like a united t shirt i bought in jjb sports the other day for £9, i think nike would have more of an idea than to base there new design around a casual t shirt. either way i hope they do sort the sponsorship thing once and for all:thumbsup:

Z

·
0 Posts
It's a pointless article anyway because it's always been known that the sponsorship deal runs until the end of next season. They've just stuck a Photoshopped picture on it, added a new spin and stuck it on their website to gather a few hits. Typical rubbish from tribalbollox.

·
Registered
469 Posts
AIG havent got the money to sponsor us.They're massively in debt and needed a government bailout. United are going after an Indian sponsor, probably Tata. Its in todays papers.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't trust any sources really until it is 100% released on the united website.

I saw one the other day, I think someone posted it on here, it was on the daily mail website and that was really smart, wouldn't of minded that shirt.

pointless article+++++++whats AIU????

They've changed their name to AIU apparently.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Give us our money Uncle Sam!

Manchester United's £14m shirt sponsorship payment in doubt after US Congress steps in - Telegraph

United, who are understood to have sounded out the Indian conglomerate Tata Group over the possibility of replacing AIG as shirt sponsors, are due to receive the £14 million payment from AIG ahead of the expiry of the four-year partnership at the end of the 2009-10 season.

The American insurance giant is in financial meltdown, however, having been bailed out on no fewer than four times by the US taxpayer as a result of huge losses incurred in recent months. AIG's rescue package, footed by the US government, currently stands in excess of $182.5 billion (£125 billion).

Related Articles

Evra: United blip an accident
United eager to make amends on pitch
New kit designs for big four
AIG's $4.88bn hit knocks insurance shares
Champions League guide
United will retain 'disgraced' logo

AIG informed United earlier this season that they would not be renewing their sponsorship agreement in 2010 and moves have already been made at Old Trafford to secure new shirt sponsors for the 2010-11 campaign before the autumn.

But with AIG prompting a furious reaction in the US earlier this month by using bail-out funds to pay executive bonuses, the terms of the company's agreement with United are now being scrutinised by senior political figures.

Congressman Ed Pastor, Democrat representative for Arizona, said: "I think that AIG should drop the sponsorship deal with Manchester United. AIG are no longer an independent private company. They belong to the US government."

Pastor's concerns have been echoed by his fellow Democrat representative, Ann Kirkpatrick, who said: "Paying excessive bonuses to executives with taxpayer funds was unacceptable and it is equally unacceptable for US taxpayer money to go to support an English soccer club."

AIG have issued assurances that United will receive the outstanding £14 million in full and the club have confirmed that they will continue to wear the AIG logo on their shirts next season, despite plans to rebrand AIG as AIU.

Tata Group, which owns Tetley, Corus, Jaguar and Land Rover, and American nutrition supplement company NBTY, have emerged as possible replacements for AIG, with Saudi Telecom and Sahara already having been linked with lucrative agreements with United.

A Tata spokesperson said: "There are various sponsorship options, including one for the team shirt. This has been going on for some time, but nothing has been finalised."

United declined to comment on the prospect of their current partnership with AIG being scrutinised by US lawmakers.

This will probably result in the Glazers appearing before Congress and if AIG refuses to pay we sue them

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
It would be crap if they sell it with AIG, then later change it to AIU, they need to get it sorted, but i don't really mind if they have AIG on there shirt until 2010, the shirts look pretty good with it anyway.

·
Registered
616 Posts
wonder what would happen if the shirt was to change for next year with the AIU logo on the front,how people would buy them ? :whistling:

·
Banned
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I happen to think AIG have been a lucky sponsor for us, we have won more trophies with AIG than Vodafone on our shirts :D

Seriously though, if I were a football club, the last thing I'd do is get a bank or financing sponsorship due to the economy collapse, recession and credit crunch. You've seen what's happened to Northern Rock (poor Newcastle lol) and now AIG.

Why not get an alcoholic or chocolate sponsor? I'm sure Budweiser or Mars wouldn't be hit by the recession? :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts