Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Striker sidelined for start of season with virus

Wayne Rooney is set to miss the start of the season after picking up a virus in Nigeria.

Manchester United toured Africa last month and won the Vodacom Challenge before taking on Portsmouth in a friendly.

It has now emerged that Rooney is suffering from a virus and will not be fit to line up for United in the Community Shield against Portsmouth on Sunday.

The England man is also likely to sit out the Premier League opener against Newcastle the following week.

The news will come as a major blow to United, who will also begin the defence of their title without injured winger Cristiano Ronaldo.

Ronaldo underwent ankle surgery earlier this summer and is not expected to return to action until October.

Nani and Anderson will also be unavailable for the clash with the Magpies and Sir Alex Ferguson is concerned about his lack of options.

"I'm starting to worry about whether we are going to have a team ready for the start of the season, because Nani is suspended, Anderson is at the Olympics and I doubt if we will get Rooney fit after the virus he has had," Ferguson told Sky Sports News.

"He picked it up in Nigeria and it's not a nice one. It's 12 days to the season starts and he's not been able to train."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_3936685,00.html

So that leaves us with just Tevez and Campbell upfront :eek:

·
GET YOUR HEAD OUT THE PUSSY CLOUDS & IN THE GAME
2,659 Posts
I cant believe this, Ronaldo out and Rooney...our two biggest threats.
It looks asif carrick is ok because he didnt mention him and it was reported he has the same virus as rooney.
This is now time for Nani and Campbell to shine, and mayb SAF will step up his game for a striker now!!

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Rooney has never had a perfect start to the season with us...

...broken foot
...Sent off in pre-season
...broken foot
...virus

Only positives are that Campbell will get a chance but its a horrendous blow!

Hopefully he'll recover soon!

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
its a sorry blow for us although as keano pointed out for the last 4 seasons weve pretty much had to start the season without him so im not to worryed plus it gives campbell a chance and hopefully our new signing :D lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
i swear to god if we dont buy a striker we are going to regret it !!! It just shows what we have left if one gets injured !To be honest this summer cant get much worse than this now :p

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Danny_M said:
i swear to god if we dont buy a striker we are going to regret it !!! It just shows what we have left if one gets injured !To be honest this summer cant get much worse than this now :p

i 100% agree with you danny

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
It now appears unlikely that he will make 2008/09's curtain raiser against Newcastle.
Nani is suspended, Anderson's at the Olympics and I doubt if we'll get Wayne fit for the start of the season.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Big blow for us but i think we should be able can cope against Newcastle, Hopefully Wazza can make a quick recovery but ffs this summer cant get much worse can it?!?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
What a blow, but surely this will tell Fergie he MUST buy a striker we need a striker, surely the one person we are supposed to be being is a striker. Disappointing as i really thought this would be Rooney's season obviously it still can be but quite a blow, especially with our openers there not easy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
In fairness, I think people are losing a bit of perspective here, saying that the summer cant get much worse is firstly way over the top and secondly tempting fate.

We need to get real here, its not like there is no threat in the team, sure it would be nice to have everyone fit but its hardly the end of the world ffs. A fair majority of teams have injury and suspension problems ahead of the new season so we'll just have to cope, I think everyone screaming for a quick fix signing (which is undoubtedly what will happen) is pointless. A new striker would have very little time to settle into the squad.

What will most likely happen is Tevez and Campbell being started although Giggsy might be pushed up top either. Either way, its not a weak attack. Chill out people...

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Yeah rubber, that was my first thought, as soon as I heard about Roo possibly not being fit, I figured Giggs would slide up top with Tevez and have Nani and Park on the wings, which should be plenty of attack.

Also, they sky is not falling. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
we can fit round this by moving giggs up but at the end of the day all this can be solved if we just brought a ******* striker!. by moving giggs up were exposing are wings cause park and ronaldo are both out. i just dont see the harm in buying a striker. even a henrik larsson of the world, someone like him who is past his prime aint looking for week in week out football and can provide cover for situations like this. yes campbell gets his chance but look at the start of the season wev got ahead with liverpool and chelsea away. always a possibility their recovery gets side tracked. would you really wanna take campbell and tevez to anfield and the bridge?

i know i wouldnt anyways

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Clarky101 said:
always a possibility their recovery gets side tracked.
lol ask louis saha about what can happen on the road to recovery. im not saying he wont be back in time but im saying the fear is always there

i wouldnt like a virus from africa lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
like toure got maleria he was lucky they got to that early or you could be out for the whole season or even die ! So i too wouldnt like a virus from Africa !!!

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
We need to buy a striker now for sure. What if rooney gets injured during the season or tevez. rooney virus, slave broken foot, nani suspened for 2 games, anderson olympics, hargreaves tendonitis, carrcik virus although should be fit sooner than roo, saha injured, manucho no work permit yet:( The only good news is that rafael and fabio are finally here and look awesome players for footballers that haven't played competitively for almost a year! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
"I don't know whether we will have a team ready," said Ferguson. "Nani is suspended, Anderson is in the Olympic Games.

"(Michael) Carrick's come in this morning and he may play a part of the game on Sunday."
well if wont have a team ready why on earth isn't he doing anything about it? Well he might be and lets hope so.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts