Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
9,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UEFA president Michel Platini has made a shocking new proposal that clubs
which hold massive debts to their name may well be barred from partaking in next
season's Champions League unless significant reductions are made to the figures.

Platini pointed his finger at Manchester United and Chelsea as the two main
culprits and it just so happens that it was these two that contested last seasons
final in Moscow with United prevailing on a penalty shoot-out.

However, Arsenal and Liverpool would also suffer at this gauntlet as they both
are in arrears with Arsenal still re-paying loans for their new stadium and
Liverpool in high debt figures also.

“UEFA is going to fight to regulate access to its competitions for clubs who are
in debt,†Platini revealed.

“I am not just talking about United and Chelsea, who got to last season's
Champions League final with a big debt, I am speaking in general.â€

Cristiano Ronaldo's proposed £80 million move to Real Madrid sparked Platini's
revelations, but he insists he is not against big-money transfers.

“If a club has money and wants to invest in a player it has every right to do so.

“I am more worried about a club that is in debt and spending £10 million on a
player. We are going to regulate this.â€

- Setanta Sports News

This would have huge impacts on all teams involved as revenue would fall
dramatically due to the absent gate receipts. It would also mean that Manchester
United would be refused the chance to retain their crown on Europe's stage.

It is thought that Platini is continuing to think of new measures to limit the English
involvement in Europe. Platini has previously stated his frustration that it was an
all English final last year with 3 English clubs making it to the quarter final stage,
the second time in 2 years.

Odds have fallen on the chances of an all English final next season and Platini is
showing concern.

Should the new proposal be accepted, the top 4 clubs in England are reportedly
set to leave their rivalries aside and Unite together to fight UEFA on this one.
Signs are showing that this may well occur as other UEFA officials are
supposedly in favour of the plan and agree with its principals, although some feel
that slight adjustments should be made to the new rule proposal.

News should break of further developments shortly.

Views?

·
He wipes front to back
27,655 Posts
typical jealous frog platini -- they used heysel to keep us out they then introduced a rule that counted welsh and scots as foriegn -- they will try anything to stop english sides winning . blatter is just as bad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can't stand platini, he is a bit of a fool he had a pop at the club last month aswell. I think he just doesnt like English football.

·
Banned
292 Posts
There is no chance that this will happen, Platini is just moaning. They would never get away with this, because Real Madrid Roma Valencia and other clubs would also have to be banned from europe, and I don't think UEFA would be willing to do that. Everything we have done is within UEFA rules,they would have no case in trying to kick us or any other club out of europe.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
This is just another thing to show that UEFA are against British clubs tbh.

There was no mention of this when Italy had 2 teams in the final :rolleyes:

The fool also contradicts himself.

He claims he wants to ban clubs in debt from the Champions League, then says;

Michel Platini said:
“If a club has money and wants to invest in a player it has every right to do so.

“I am more worried about a club that is in debt and spending £10 million on a
player. We are going to regulate this.â€
Madrid are in about £400m of debt, and their thinking about spending £80m on a player! :rolleyes:

Just hammers across the first line of my post.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
platine all you stupid rules will never stop the english teams from winning the UCL
realmadrid dont have money and they have alot of loans :rolleyes:
they are the first team that should be banned
he is just jealous from our powerful english teams
that have reached the final 3 times in the last 3 years

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
This would basically mean UEFA losing a ton of money. How many people are actually gonna watch the Champions league with non of the big four in it? He must really be dreaming of that Lyon v. Marseille final!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
All What Platini Is Trying to Change is Wrong.
I disagree with him(as English Clubs) in every point.
Anyway If we'll be banned,Loserpool and Arse will be banned too..

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
proof that ex-footballers dont make good presidents

platini talking out of his rectum like usual and the usual anti-english proposals

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
more stupid talk from platini, if this was to happen there would be no champions league next season as most of europes top clubs are in debt. the guy has serious issues with english football. he needs a reality check, he is merely an egotist who loves the sound of his own voice.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You guys are forgetting if this rule goes through we could stick the debt onto a holding company and then the club would seen to be in no debt

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Platini is the worst thing that ever happend to European Football when he was appointed president. He is fighting the worst things which in the long run do not need to be fixed in football but overlooks the things which should be fixed like bringing technology into football and having things such as instant replays allowed.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
if he's aiming english, why not the french league. Lyon - 7 times french league champions IN A ROW.

is that a one team monopoly? hmmm.

·
Registered
566 Posts
just let him ban united for all he wants but make sure he bans all others in massive debt too. by the time, the ucl will have no glamour at all and it might even turn out worse than the uefa cup. the champions league by then will earn even lesser and he will be moaning about big clubs not wanting to join again.
what an idiot!

·
Registered
90 Posts
its times like these that i like to belt out a time and tested fav of mine

ROYAL BRITANNIA

BRITANNIA RULES THE WAVES

ENGLAND NEVER NEVER NEVER

WILL BE SLAVES

(CANT WAIT TILL WE HAVE SOME1 PREPARED TO STAND UP TO THIS W"£$%ER

·
Registered
366 Posts
Look back in the 90's when there was all this talk of a Super european league, the best of each country playing against each other on a week to week basis . UEFA headed this threat off by changing the format of the Champions league . I remember the days when ONLY the champions of each league went into the draw and it was a knockout competition from the first game . So Platini's comments are just hot air coming from his arse. Why would you alienate the best teams in your premier competition . I'm sure the tv companies would welcome this move also. Platini is just a snob , plain and simple . United or any other team from the premier
league winning the european cup must make his skin crawl . Well I've news for you le dick head . Get used to it , United HAVE the best squad in europe . With or without Ronaldo.

·
Registered
90 Posts
if it happens, which i doubt,

we can follow the american format for baseball

all the teams from them prem can enter and we'll call it

THE WORLD SERIES OF SCOCCER

Go Team lol

1 - 20 of 48 Posts