Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 1184 Posts

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the out-going Gill as quoted although "spree" was more interpretation than a direct quote. With us already splashing out for another expensive England player in Zaha, I remain sceptical, especially with us winning this season's league by a commanding margin.

And as per Our Strength thread, we probably need just one or two really good necessary signing. Any marquee signing is but a bonus.

http://m.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/130423/man-united-plan-summer-spending-spree-196238

Manchester United's outgoing chief executive David Gill says Sir Alex Ferguson will be backed in the transfer market this summer to continue their Premier League dominance.

United landed Robin van Persie for £24m last summer and it paid off, with the former Arsenal man firing his side to a record 20th title.

Gill is leaving his post in the summer and will be replaced by Ed Woodward, but the United chief says he will leave a club that is already planning for the next title.

"I'm sure all the clubs who missed out this season will be doing business in the summer - as we will be - with a view to come back all guns blazing next year," he said.

United have been linked with a whole host of stars when the window opens and they have already signed Crystal Palace starlet Wilfried Zaha for a fee that could rise to £15m.

The likes of Radamel Falcao and Robert Lewandowski have been mooted though, with Wayne Rooney's future open to question.

·
I can't be arsed
4,680 Posts
According to the out-going Gill as quoted although "spree" was more interpretation than a direct quote. With us already splashing out for another expensive England player in Zaha, I remain sceptical, especially with us winning this season's league by a commanding margin.

And as per Our Strength thread, we probably need just one or two really good necessary signing. Any marquee signing is but a bonus.

http://m.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/130423/man-united-plan-summer-spending-spree-196238

Manchester United's outgoing chief executive David Gill says Sir Alex Ferguson will be backed in the transfer market this summer to continue their Premier League dominance.

United landed Robin van Persie for £24m last summer and it paid off, with the former Arsenal man firing his side to a record 20th title.

Gill is leaving his post in the summer and will be replaced by Ed Woodward, but the United chief says he will leave a club that is already planning for the next title.

"I'm sure all the clubs who missed out this season will be doing business in the summer - as we will be - with a view to come back all guns blazing next year," he said.

United have been linked with a whole host of stars when the window opens and they have already signed Crystal Palace starlet Wilfried Zaha for a fee that could rise to £15m.

The likes of Radamel Falcao and Robert Lewandowski have been mooted though, with Wayne Rooney's future open to question.
I see two different sets of changes, depending on how ambitious we are, and how much money Fergie can prise from the Glazers:

1. Challenging again for the Prem title:
Even with additions at Chelsea and City, short of unprecedented spending sprees or either getting Mourinho, minimal changes needed, and perhaps we could get away with none due primarily to now having a formidable defence with equally formidable depth.

2. Challenging for the CL:
Neither our midfield nor our wings are remotely strong enough.
Watching Bayern last night was an education.
Maybe we could fluke it like Chelsea, but to put up a strong challenge I think we need AT LEAST 4 players, with Nani, Ando, Young and Valencia out for a start, Evra shaky and the midfield needing a complete makeover.

If Chelsea or City get Mourinho, scrap the first point, as with City he would kick our butt for the Prem, and with only a couple of additions would do so with Chelsea.

·
Banned
1,778 Posts
one more thing, i hope we don't sing the players ( Ronaldo apart ) like we did in the 03-04 summer, i want to see us sign some top quality players like we've done for the last couple of years, i also think we might see a shock signing as well.

·
2,132 Posts
This story comes up every year, however I actually think something might happen this summer. It will obviously depend on who leaves in the summer but there is the possibility a number of players could leave. Scholes, Fletcher, Macheda, *one of our 4 strikers, Anderson?, Nani - you never know. There will have to be replacements coming in for these players. I'd say at least 4 of those will not be here next season, possibly 5. Scholes has always said that if he cant offer anymore to the club then he will leave, I think this is the summer, seems to be struggling. Fletcher, well we can't take this gamble again, as with Hargreaves, we must cut our losses. Macheda, definitely gone, I suppose Zaha will take up his spot in the squad. Rooney and Hernandez futures are unclear. Anderson I'm not too sure what will happen but I'm sure this summer will see Nani leave. It is sad to say, but this is the reality and this summer could see a number of players coming in.

Ideally I would keep our 4 main strikers, buy 2 mids, bring Fabio back and just play him often, and possibly buy another winger on top of Zaha. What we will probably see? No mids, a new striker and a winger.

·
Banned
1,778 Posts
This story comes up every year, however I actually think something might happen this summer. It will obviously depend on who leaves in the summer but there is the possibility a number of players could leave. Scholes, Fletcher, Macheda, *one of our 4 strikers, Anderson?, Nani - you never know. There will have to be replacements coming in for these players. I'd say at least 4 of those will not be here next season, possibly 5. Scholes has always said that if he cant offer anymore to the club then he will leave, I think this is the summer, seems to be struggling. Fletcher, well we can't take this gamble again, as with Hargreaves, we must cut our losses. Macheda, definitely gone, I suppose Zaha will take up his spot in the squad. Rooney and Hernandez futures are unclear. Anderson I'm not too sure what will happen but I'm sure this summer will see Nani leave. It is sad to say, but this is the reality and this summer could see a number of players coming in.

Ideally I would keep our 4 main strikers, buy 2 mids, bring Fabio back and just play him often, and possibly buy another winger on top of Zaha. What we will probably see? No mids, a new striker and a winger.
I highly doubt that Fergie signed Zaha just to take Macheda's spot in the squad, there's no chance of that happening, he'll play a lot of games for us next season.

·
2,132 Posts
I highly doubt that Fergie signed Zaha just to take Macheda's spot in the squad, there's no chance of that happening, he'll play a lot of games for us next season.
Not exactly what I meant. Was leaning more towards replacing players who are leaving.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
We're strong on both ends of the pitch. It's everything inbetween that's the problem, and when your weak link is dab smack in the middle, you're only going to be so strong. In order of priority...

A midfielder or two who can play aside and ahead of Carrick, with a tactical sense of distribution. Somebody who can needle through vertical passes into the hole.

Flexible wingers on both sides of the pitch, who can do more than punt into the box and hope for the best. Preferably somebody who can dribble the far corner and buy time for the whole offense to move up. Somebody who can really hold the ball. Hopefully we'll get a LW who will secure his slot, forcing Fergie to use Kagawa in the hole more.

If Fergie keeps Roo in the hole, and Kagawa on the left flank, we need a LB who can share the load with Evra, preferably with better defense.

Ando and Young need to go. Probably Valencia as well. Nani has his moments, but I'm pretty sure his departure is a done deal at this point. Not sure what the deal will be with Scholes.

IF Rooney is out or converted to MF, and we've already purchased what we really need, we could certainly use a Lewandowski, or Falcao, but that shouldn't be the first thing we chuck in the cart.

·
Banned
1,778 Posts
We're strong on both ends of the pitch. It's everything inbetween that's the problem, and when your weak link is dab smack in the middle, you're only going to be so strong. In order of priority...

A midfielder or two who can play aside and ahead of Carrick, with a tactical sense of distribution. Somebody who can needle through vertical passes into the hole.

Flexible wingers on both sides of the pitch, who can do more than punt into the box and hope for the best. Preferably somebody who can dribble the far corner and buy time for the whole offense to move up. Somebody who can really hold the ball. Hopefully we'll get a LW who will secure his slot, forcing Fergie to use Kagawa in the hole more.

If Fergie keeps Roo in the hole, and Kagawa on the left flank, we need a LB who can share the load with Evra, preferably with better defense.

Ando and Young need to go. Probably Valencia as well. Nani has his moments, but I'm pretty sure his departure is a done deal at this point. Not sure what the deal will be with Scholes.

IF Rooney is out or converted to MF, and we've already purchased what we really need, we could certainly use a Lewandowski, or Falcao, but that shouldn't be the first thing we chuck in the cart.
He's joining Bayern Munich apparently.

·
2,132 Posts
I see but i think he'll play an important role for us next season like when Phil Jones joined us 2 years ago.
Now this is my opinion, but im not blown over by Zaha, I believe he has loads of potential and will be a future star, but I think he will have an ok season. I also think SAF will develope a role for him to grow in to.

·
Banned
1,778 Posts
Now this is my opinion, but im not blown over by Zaha, I believe he has loads of potential and will be a future star, but I think he will have an ok season. I also think SAF will develope a role for him to grow in to.
I've seen enough of him to say he'll be a success with us, it might take time for him to settle, he knows some of our players already after playing with them with the england under 21's. he's got skills and pace as well, he's going to be an exciting signing in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
A spending spree would be very welcome but I cant exactly see it.

I'm always amused by those who seem to want all of our wingers ditched! Valencia had a bad season - but he was excellent and our player of the year the previous season. In addition to which he has admitted to carrying a niggling injury for most of the year. Very premature to get rid of him.

Young hasn't been a great success - a very up and down player who has, likewise, had a poor season. But its only his second with us so I think we have to wait and see. Far too early to get rid of him yet.

Nani is a different kettle of fish - I don't see him as improving and he's just too inconsistent and frustrating. I'd be happy enough to see him move on. Anderson has to go.

In CM things are far more problematic. Anderson must go. Useless. Fletcher - finished. Scholes retiring surely.

Realistically we have only Powell, Carrick and Cleverley available for midfield. Hardly good enough for a club of our ambitions.

Id love to see two players at least arriving just for CM. Everything after that would be a bonus.

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see two different sets of changes, depending on how ambitious we are, and how much money Fergie can prise from the Glazers:

1. Challenging again for the Prem title:
Even with additions at Chelsea and City, short of unprecedented spending sprees or either getting Mourinho, minimal changes needed, and perhaps we could get away with none due primarily to now having a formidable defence with equally formidable depth.

2. Challenging for the CL:
Neither our midfield nor our wings are remotely strong enough.
Watching Bayern last night was an education.
Maybe we could fluke it like Chelsea, but to put up a strong challenge I think we need AT LEAST 4 players, with Nani, Ando, Young and Valencia out for a start, Evra shaky and the midfield needing a complete makeover.

If Chelsea or City get Mourinho, scrap the first point, as with City he would kick our butt for the Prem, and with only a couple of additions would do so with Chelsea.
I agree with you, everything hinges on how big we really want to be. We may get by in the league but we will be found out in the later stages of the CL against the elites of Europe. Barca may not be what they used to be but I am pretty sure we won't put 4 past them at home at this rate unless we improve our engine room (holding is not hurting) and wing play (if we still prefer wing play).

I expect Nani and Anderson to go so one midfielder and one winger that are better than what we have should suffice though, assuming some lost boys being found like Valencia and some youngsters coming through like Powell. Young may well stay albeit as a back up because he will be going into his third season only and he is.... English.

Btw I remain sceptical of a spending spree because I fear Fergie may be unwittingly more complacent than he should be after such a flattering winning margin this season, considering that he only really spent on RVP after surrendering the title to Citeh last season (Powell does not count because he is....).

P.S. Nothing against the English players per se but a bit annoyed that we always pay so much for them and don't always get what we paid for. Always injured and hardly shines when fit at 17m for example....

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
James Vander Belt can take his agenda against Anderson and shove it up his arse.

AndoLOVE stays.
I agree with you. Anderson is not useless and has been our better midfielder after Carrick.

He looks useless to us only because he is mostly made to either sit on the bench or report for duties against U21s, even after he had a good game. We all know this running joke here.

Edit: But looks like the only way for him is not up but out.....

·
Registered
428 Posts
If we are looking to take it to the next level and win the CL (or have a realistic chance) then we probably need a spending spree. Our last successful campaigns saw us do just that in the summers of 98 (Stam, Yorke, Blomquist) and 07 (Tevez, Hargreaves, nani and Anderson) respectively. Bale, Baines and Wilshire would be the dream ticket, but i think we would have to really struggle to get those and the latter almost certainly won't come.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I don't think we need a spree, two players. Top class CM and top class winger. Strootman/wanyama 12-15m and a winger depending on who we get 20-30m. Especially with a couple of outs, net spend won't be too high at all.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Anderson definitely needs to go. He's been here 6 full seasons and he's barely progressed beyond what he would in about 2 seasons. I think we've seen the last of Fletcher as well. All this 'he'll be back next season' is just taking a place someone else could use. He might make the odd appearance, but it's obvious his regular playing days are over. He couldn't cope with the pitches during wet weather!
It seems like Nani's on his way, if the number of times Fergie leaves him out is anything to go by,
Valencia's just had one of those seasons. He'll be given time to sort himself out. He's been more consistent than Nani has and he's been here two seasons less.

Young is going nowhere. He's only been here two seasons. Considering who long Fergie's given Anderson, I can't see him getting rid of Young so soon.

1 - 20 of 1184 Posts