Manchester United Talk banner

United Transfers Tracker 2013/14: Moyes' BIG OVERHAUL plans

115K views 1K replies 104 participants last post by  venusplanet 
#1 ·
According to the out-going Gill as quoted although "spree" was more interpretation than a direct quote. With us already splashing out for another expensive England player in Zaha, I remain sceptical, especially with us winning this season's league by a commanding margin.

And as per Our Strength thread, we probably need just one or two really good necessary signing. Any marquee signing is but a bonus.

http://m.talksport.co.uk/sports-new.../man-united-plan-summer-spending-spree-196238

Manchester United's outgoing chief executive David Gill says Sir Alex Ferguson will be backed in the transfer market this summer to continue their Premier League dominance.

United landed Robin van Persie for £24m last summer and it paid off, with the former Arsenal man firing his side to a record 20th title.

Gill is leaving his post in the summer and will be replaced by Ed Woodward, but the United chief says he will leave a club that is already planning for the next title.

"I'm sure all the clubs who missed out this season will be doing business in the summer - as we will be - with a view to come back all guns blazing next year," he said.

United have been linked with a whole host of stars when the window opens and they have already signed Crystal Palace starlet Wilfried Zaha for a fee that could rise to £15m.

The likes of Radamel Falcao and Robert Lewandowski have been mooted though, with Wayne Rooney's future open to question.

See less See more
#3 ·
According to the out-going Gill as quoted although "spree" was more interpretation than a direct quote. With us already splashing out for another expensive England player in Zaha, I remain sceptical, especially with us winning this season's league by a commanding margin.

And as per Our Strength thread, we probably need just one or two really good necessary signing. Any marquee signing is but a bonus.

http://m.talksport.co.uk/sports-new.../man-united-plan-summer-spending-spree-196238

Manchester United's outgoing chief executive David Gill says Sir Alex Ferguson will be backed in the transfer market this summer to continue their Premier League dominance.

United landed Robin van Persie for £24m last summer and it paid off, with the former Arsenal man firing his side to a record 20th title.

Gill is leaving his post in the summer and will be replaced by Ed Woodward, but the United chief says he will leave a club that is already planning for the next title.

"I'm sure all the clubs who missed out this season will be doing business in the summer - as we will be - with a view to come back all guns blazing next year," he said.

United have been linked with a whole host of stars when the window opens and they have already signed Crystal Palace starlet Wilfried Zaha for a fee that could rise to £15m.

The likes of Radamel Falcao and Robert Lewandowski have been mooted though, with Wayne Rooney's future open to question.
I see two different sets of changes, depending on how ambitious we are, and how much money Fergie can prise from the Glazers:

1. Challenging again for the Prem title:
Even with additions at Chelsea and City, short of unprecedented spending sprees or either getting Mourinho, minimal changes needed, and perhaps we could get away with none due primarily to now having a formidable defence with equally formidable depth.

2. Challenging for the CL:
Neither our midfield nor our wings are remotely strong enough.
Watching Bayern last night was an education.
Maybe we could fluke it like Chelsea, but to put up a strong challenge I think we need AT LEAST 4 players, with Nani, Ando, Young and Valencia out for a start, Evra shaky and the midfield needing a complete makeover.

If Chelsea or City get Mourinho, scrap the first point, as with City he would kick our butt for the Prem, and with only a couple of additions would do so with Chelsea.

#15 ·
I see two different sets of changes, depending on how ambitious we are, and how much money Fergie can prise from the Glazers:

1. Challenging again for the Prem title:
Even with additions at Chelsea and City, short of unprecedented spending sprees or either getting Mourinho, minimal changes needed, and perhaps we could get away with none due primarily to now having a formidable defence with equally formidable depth.

2. Challenging for the CL:
Neither our midfield nor our wings are remotely strong enough.
Watching Bayern last night was an education.
Maybe we could fluke it like Chelsea, but to put up a strong challenge I think we need AT LEAST 4 players, with Nani, Ando, Young and Valencia out for a start, Evra shaky and the midfield needing a complete makeover.

If Chelsea or City get Mourinho, scrap the first point, as with City he would kick our butt for the Prem, and with only a couple of additions would do so with Chelsea.
I agree with you, everything hinges on how big we really want to be. We may get by in the league but we will be found out in the later stages of the CL against the elites of Europe. Barca may not be what they used to be but I am pretty sure we won't put 4 past them at home at this rate unless we improve our engine room (holding is not hurting) and wing play (if we still prefer wing play).

I expect Nani and Anderson to go so one midfielder and one winger that are better than what we have should suffice though, assuming some lost boys being found like Valencia and some youngsters coming through like Powell. Young may well stay albeit as a back up because he will be going into his third season only and he is.... English.

Btw I remain sceptical of a spending spree because I fear Fergie may be unwittingly more complacent than he should be after such a flattering winning margin this season, considering that he only really spent on RVP after surrendering the title to Citeh last season (Powell does not count because he is....).

P.S. Nothing against the English players per se but a bit annoyed that we always pay so much for them and don't always get what we paid for. Always injured and hardly shines when fit at 17m for example....

#5 ·
This story comes up every year, however I actually think something might happen this summer. It will obviously depend on who leaves in the summer but there is the possibility a number of players could leave. Scholes, Fletcher, Macheda, *one of our 4 strikers, Anderson?, Nani - you never know. There will have to be replacements coming in for these players. I'd say at least 4 of those will not be here next season, possibly 5. Scholes has always said that if he cant offer anymore to the club then he will leave, I think this is the summer, seems to be struggling. Fletcher, well we can't take this gamble again, as with Hargreaves, we must cut our losses. Macheda, definitely gone, I suppose Zaha will take up his spot in the squad. Rooney and Hernandez futures are unclear. Anderson I'm not too sure what will happen but I'm sure this summer will see Nani leave. It is sad to say, but this is the reality and this summer could see a number of players coming in.

Ideally I would keep our 4 main strikers, buy 2 mids, bring Fabio back and just play him often, and possibly buy another winger on top of Zaha. What we will probably see? No mids, a new striker and a winger.

#6 ·
This story comes up every year, however I actually think something might happen this summer. It will obviously depend on who leaves in the summer but there is the possibility a number of players could leave. Scholes, Fletcher, Macheda, *one of our 4 strikers, Anderson?, Nani - you never know. There will have to be replacements coming in for these players. I'd say at least 4 of those will not be here next season, possibly 5. Scholes has always said that if he cant offer anymore to the club then he will leave, I think this is the summer, seems to be struggling. Fletcher, well we can't take this gamble again, as with Hargreaves, we must cut our losses. Macheda, definitely gone, I suppose Zaha will take up his spot in the squad. Rooney and Hernandez futures are unclear. Anderson I'm not too sure what will happen but I'm sure this summer will see Nani leave. It is sad to say, but this is the reality and this summer could see a number of players coming in.

Ideally I would keep our 4 main strikers, buy 2 mids, bring Fabio back and just play him often, and possibly buy another winger on top of Zaha. What we will probably see? No mids, a new striker and a winger.
I highly doubt that Fergie signed Zaha just to take Macheda's spot in the squad, there's no chance of that happening, he'll play a lot of games for us next season.

#9 ·
We're strong on both ends of the pitch. It's everything inbetween that's the problem, and when your weak link is dab smack in the middle, you're only going to be so strong. In order of priority...

A midfielder or two who can play aside and ahead of Carrick, with a tactical sense of distribution. Somebody who can needle through vertical passes into the hole.

Flexible wingers on both sides of the pitch, who can do more than punt into the box and hope for the best. Preferably somebody who can dribble the far corner and buy time for the whole offense to move up. Somebody who can really hold the ball. Hopefully we'll get a LW who will secure his slot, forcing Fergie to use Kagawa in the hole more.

If Fergie keeps Roo in the hole, and Kagawa on the left flank, we need a LB who can share the load with Evra, preferably with better defense.

Ando and Young need to go. Probably Valencia as well. Nani has his moments, but I'm pretty sure his departure is a done deal at this point. Not sure what the deal will be with Scholes.

IF Rooney is out or converted to MF, and we've already purchased what we really need, we could certainly use a Lewandowski, or Falcao, but that shouldn't be the first thing we chuck in the cart.

#10 ·
We're strong on both ends of the pitch. It's everything inbetween that's the problem, and when your weak link is dab smack in the middle, you're only going to be so strong. In order of priority...

A midfielder or two who can play aside and ahead of Carrick, with a tactical sense of distribution. Somebody who can needle through vertical passes into the hole.

Flexible wingers on both sides of the pitch, who can do more than punt into the box and hope for the best. Preferably somebody who can dribble the far corner and buy time for the whole offense to move up. Somebody who can really hold the ball. Hopefully we'll get a LW who will secure his slot, forcing Fergie to use Kagawa in the hole more.

If Fergie keeps Roo in the hole, and Kagawa on the left flank, we need a LB who can share the load with Evra, preferably with better defense.

Ando and Young need to go. Probably Valencia as well. Nani has his moments, but I'm pretty sure his departure is a done deal at this point. Not sure what the deal will be with Scholes.

IF Rooney is out or converted to MF, and we've already purchased what we really need, we could certainly use a Lewandowski, or Falcao, but that shouldn't be the first thing we chuck in the cart.
He's joining Bayern Munich apparently.

#20 ·
Anderson definitely needs to go. He's been here 6 full seasons and he's barely progressed beyond what he would in about 2 seasons. I think we've seen the last of Fletcher as well. All this 'he'll be back next season' is just taking a place someone else could use. He might make the odd appearance, but it's obvious his regular playing days are over. He couldn't cope with the pitches during wet weather!
It seems like Nani's on his way, if the number of times Fergie leaves him out is anything to go by,
Valencia's just had one of those seasons. He'll be given time to sort himself out. He's been more consistent than Nani has and he's been here two seasons less.

Young is going nowhere. He's only been here two seasons. Considering who long Fergie's given Anderson, I can't see him getting rid of Young so soon.

#14 ·
A spending spree would be very welcome but I cant exactly see it.

I'm always amused by those who seem to want all of our wingers ditched! Valencia had a bad season - but he was excellent and our player of the year the previous season. In addition to which he has admitted to carrying a niggling injury for most of the year. Very premature to get rid of him.

Young hasn't been a great success - a very up and down player who has, likewise, had a poor season. But its only his second with us so I think we have to wait and see. Far too early to get rid of him yet.

Nani is a different kettle of fish - I don't see him as improving and he's just too inconsistent and frustrating. I'd be happy enough to see him move on. Anderson has to go.

In CM things are far more problematic. Anderson must go. Useless. Fletcher - finished. Scholes retiring surely.

Realistically we have only Powell, Carrick and Cleverley available for midfield. Hardly good enough for a club of our ambitions.

Id love to see two players at least arriving just for CM. Everything after that would be a bonus.

#17 ·
I agree with you. Anderson is not useless and has been our better midfielder after Carrick.

He looks useless to us only because he is mostly made to either sit on the bench or report for duties against U21s, even after he had a good game. We all know this running joke here.

Edit: But looks like the only way for him is not up but out.....

#18 ·
If we are looking to take it to the next level and win the CL (or have a realistic chance) then we probably need a spending spree. Our last successful campaigns saw us do just that in the summers of 98 (Stam, Yorke, Blomquist) and 07 (Tevez, Hargreaves, nani and Anderson) respectively. Bale, Baines and Wilshire would be the dream ticket, but i think we would have to really struggle to get those and the latter almost certainly won't come.

#22 ·
I think this summer will be big. Vidic, Scholes, Nani, Ando, Evra (perhaps) and Hernandez (probably) will go. Valencia might go from what he's been saying as well. We could be looking at 3 or 4 signings including Strootman and Lewandowski. Hopefully Januzaj gets bumped up into the first team squad. We should raise 50m + with player sales I'd like to see some serious investment this summer.

#23 ·
I personally doubt a major overhaul is coming. That's something you do after a poor season, not one you dominated. Besides, we couldn't replace half the players you mention for 50m+

We'd probably let go of 3-4 players, buy one big name and a few on affordable potential.

#41 ·
1. Evans has quite clearly taken Vidic' place in the pecking order when IMO he doesn't deserve to.
2. Vidic isn't injured like SAF says. He can and has played 2 matches in a week (said so himself that he could) though SAF refuses to do so, Fergie is giving Evans as much game time as possible to get him ready for next season. The fact he chose Jones and Evans to play in the last match is a huge giveaway, neither Vidic or Ferdy were injured.
3. The most important: Vidic is in the last year of his contract, if he was going to renew it would have been done by January this year. Sell him in the summer or lose him for free, he'll probably go to Russia. Earlier in the season I saw an interview where Vidic commented on how good SAF was at replacing players, it's probably why he's not kciked up to much of a fuss when not playing every game, he knows this is his last season.

This is a typical Fergie strategy in bedding in new players (give them game time and confidence before they take a primary role in the team. This is why we churn out results week in week out, everybody is conditioned and ready to win games the moment they step into the team.

Buttner would have started far more games if SAF felt he was ready, but as it is Buttner isn't ready/good enough (whichever you think) and either Evra will sign on for another year or we'll sign a new LB. I might end up being banned for a month on my bet of Buttner being sold or loaned next season but his future is very uncertain at the moment. If we buy another young LB it would almost certainly be the end for him when Fabio gets back. We've acticely been tracking Willems, Sandro and Digne this season they are long term targets which we could go in for. That would end his career.

Rooney being subbed as well, it is done as a confidence booster to Welbeck who is coming on for him or taking his place (Madrid). It's Fergies way of saying "we don't need you" to Rooney. He might be sold or he might not depending on whether they patch things up or he is sold the summer after, but, it shows that he is not doing what Fergie wants because he would never do that to one of his players unless it was absolutely necessary (not when we're 3-0 up). The problem in this case is that even though Rooney's had a poor season, Welbeck is not ready to take over Rooneys responsibilities, no where near.

Scholes isn't injured either, it's just his legs have gone and SAF is saving his credibility. Ando has been no worse than Cleverley this season but SAF plays Cleverley because he knows Ando wants to leave for regular first team football to try and make the Brazillian squad for 2014. Ando won't be a long term player for the club so he bigs up Cleverley, gives him more game time for his confidence to try and make him ready to be a starter. IMO he hasn't proven he can do that so we will get another CM this summer (Strootman or others).

#45 ·
I don't see how Evans has taken Vidic's place. I think this season Rio and Vidic have shown that they're still the best defenders we have. However the thing that sets Evans apart is that he's the one defender we have that doesn't just hoof the ball up the pitch. If he hasn't got options to pass to he'll run forward with the ball. Rio used to do that, but isn't as mobile as he once was. Vidic/Smalling have always been 'hoofers'.

It's interesting how SAF has played Jones at the back in the last two games. It's probably a good idea to play him and/or Smalling in all of the remaining games at CB now, and then with a good pre season who knows, we might gamble and consider Jones a starter come August.

Right now though, Rio/Vidic is the partnership I'd play if we were in the CL final.

#47 ·
I don't see how Evans has taken Vidic's place. I think this season Rio and Vidic have shown that they're still the best defenders we have. However the thing that sets Evans apart is that he's the one defender we have that doesn't just hoof the ball up the pitch. If he hasn't got options to pass to he'll run forward with the ball. Rio used to do that, but isn't as mobile as he once was. Vidic/Smalling have always been 'hoofers'.

It's interesting how SAF has played Jones at the back in the last two games. It's probably a good idea to play him and/or Smalling in all of the remaining games at CB now, and then with a good pre season who knows, we might gamble and consider Jones a starter come August.

Right now though, Rio/Vidic is the partnership I'd play if we were in the CL final.
I agree but you can see what Fergie is trying to do, he tried to put Evans and Ferdy as our number one. Vidic started playing really well and then he came back in for a few matches. SAF is trying to get Evans to displace Vidic, Ferdy and Vidic are obviously the best together but they are going over the hill. Fergie is trying to bring in a new generation by giving the players confidence.

#46 ·
Smalling never used to be a hoofer. He's actually regressed this season. He used to play exactly like Rio for England U21s, Fulham and in his debut season for us. He also used to play the right back position a lot more effectively.

He needs games or his potential will be wasted.

1. Rio
2. Evans
3. Vida
4. Jones
5. Smalling

That's the pecking order for me.

#50 ·
So he needs games so you lump him down the pecking order?

Injuries have been his main issue, he can't really get a run of game.

It will be very interesting to see how we eventually do phase out Vidic/Rio. I'd actually have Vidic as my #1 if he's fit, he's been an absolute beast since January.

#51 ·
The advantage of playing Jones would be that we wouldn't have to play so deep. A big reason why we park the bus against any team that tries to attack us, is because SAF is concerned about the pace of Rio/Vidic. Jones is quick enough for us to play a fairly high defensive line.

#52 ·
We are more than safe at the back for the future: Evans/Jones/Smalling as CB, Rafael/Jones/Smalling as RB, Evra/Buttner/Fabio as LB.

Defence is the last concern, look slightly higher up the pitch.....

Edit: Oh, Evra.... Still up for grabs for LB only.

#57 ·
we dont need a spending spree! we only need 2/3 players, 1cm, 1 left winger and maybe a striker if roo is going to be deployed in midfield, sell players we do not need and then:

• we need to give a new contract to wazza since he has only 2 years left (4-5 year contract and his future is settled)
  • supposely we are giving rio a 1 year contract extension
  • check the vidic situation, if he is leaving we should maybe buy a cb so in that case we would need 4 players.

#64 ·
I'm genuinely hoping we sign one of Ronnie, Bale or Rodriguez. I can just tell Bale would welcome coming here but that c**t Levy will make sure it doesn't happen.
i would love bale, levy as you said will be the problem, but $$$ will solve anything, if fergie really wants him he will get him, problem is if real or city get involved then we must make sure bale want to join us ala rvp because if for him real or utd are the same levy will ship him to madrid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.